celebrating Earth Day

in Dessert,recipes,snacks,summertime,Vegan

…and celebrating this sunny day – this weekend the temps are in the 70′s, just perfect.

It’s been a long day so far, I was up early and helped my brother move. Jason and I went to lunch and brought a few things over to the new place. We are hiring movers, but there are things we want to move ourselves, so we’re taking a few trips over there today and tomorrow.

Right now, though? We’re taking a break. I am drinking a 4 shot espresso and making Earth Day Peanut Butter Cups – enjoy:

Happy Earth Day!

The Earth Day Network has a goal of A Billion Acts of Green, and it got me thinking of what I can do above and beyond what I already do, today and ongoing.

I am happy to live in an area where recycling has always been the norm. Back in college I was vacationing in three southern states, and remember being shocked at the lack of recycling – even of the basics like aluminum cans and newspaper. It’s a huge eye opener, and I shudder to think one day we will have a real life Idiocracy on our hands – mountains of landfill.

I could go on and on about how the foreshadowing of Idiocracy scares me, but that is a whole other conversation.

today my pledges include:

- spending very little time on the computer today, and the television is off.

- spend much of my time outdoors to take advantage of natural light and conserve our electricity. Basil and I were just sitting on the deck in the sunshine, while I wait for this espresso to kick in.

- start planning my vegetable garden at the new place – we are building planters and I can’t wait to start!

Earth Day Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups

makes 12-14 depending on wrapper size

dairy free, vegan

1 bag chocolate chips (trader joes dairy free)
1 bag white chocolate chips (vegansweets)
1/2 cup peanut butter
food color (seelect is vegan + gluten free)

Melt chocolate in double boiler or microwave. Fill candy cups 1/3 full, coating the insides of the wrapper to the top. Cool in fridge until set. Spread a spoonful of peanut butter almost to the edge of the wrapper. Melt white chocolate, reserving 1/3 for final step. Pour white chocolate over peanut butter layer, smoothing and covering completely. Return to fridge to cool. Separate remaining white chocolate into two bowls, coloring one green and one blue. For the last layer, swirl greens and blues to make earth shapes.

first layer chocolate, all the way up the sides:

second layer peanut butter, almost to edges:

third layer, white chocolate covering completely:

unwrapped:

yum:

My favorite saying for today? Every Day is Earth Day.

What can you do today (and every day!) to celebrate Earth Day and help protect our planet?

Have you seen Idiocracy?

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) April 21, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Ok you’re seriously taunting me. Sitting here waiting for dinner right now LOL. Yum yum – perfect dessert treat.

2 spabettie April 21, 2012 at 6:33 pm

hee – sorry! ;) hope you’re having a great weekend, hope Jason is feeling better!

3 Amy Tong April 21, 2012 at 4:44 pm

What a creative cake for Earth Day! These would be perfect for a picnic.

4 christina April 21, 2012 at 4:59 pm

holy moly. i’d like to know how you drew the globe/world (?) so well. i can’t even make it look that nice with a pencil!! xoxo

5 spabettie April 21, 2012 at 6:30 pm

uh oh, I suppose if I told you (honestly) I just swirled them with a toothpick, you’d roll your eyes? :)

6 Lou April 21, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Oh my goodness gracious these are way too cute (and delicious sounding) I’m getting to it in my garden today, planting some more herbs and lavender… plus weeding and then maybe a trip to the beach. The Earth rocks, it’s a pretty sweet place to live :) Gotta take care of it better for sure!

7 spabettie April 21, 2012 at 7:46 pm

so happy to hear you are planting already! and yes, the Earth does rock, I agree :D

8 Sarah April 21, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I know everyone has already said it, but my gosh, Woman, that is some talented Earth frosting!

9 Richa@HobbyandMore April 21, 2012 at 8:42 pm

seriously.. that is one gorgeous colors and perfectly made earths! we spent a lot of time out in the sun near water falls today… and tomorrow hopefully kick off the fundraiser. I love how everyone in seattle embraces recycle reduce reuse too.. Its funny when someone new moves here and in an occasional get together, accidentally is in the process of dumping something in the wrong place and a bunch of people will yell and direct him to the right can.. hehe

10 spabettie April 22, 2012 at 9:35 am

haa, YES, I know this group ‘helping’ phenomenon well – it is fun to see. ;) glad you got to spend time outdoors, hope the beautiful sunshine is up there too? happy Earth Day!

11 Averie @ Averie Cooks April 21, 2012 at 10:06 pm

GORGEOUS! And you have surgeon’s hands to be drawing multi-colored maps on pb cups…amazing!

12 spabettie April 22, 2012 at 9:29 am

it does take a bit of a steady hand… :)

13 Tina Marie April 22, 2012 at 6:11 am

Very talented work here. I love the drawn earth on the cupcake. Delish!

14 Mike Piper April 22, 2012 at 8:38 am

Fun! :)

And, the fact that you can actually make recognizable land masses using (colored) white chocolate is quite impressive.

15 Magic of Spice April 22, 2012 at 9:12 am

What a fun and creative idea! They are just adorable…Happy Earth Day!

16 spabettie April 22, 2012 at 9:28 am

happy Earth Day to you too!

17 Shannon Roche April 22, 2012 at 9:37 am

These are so adorable!

18 Krista April 22, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I love these Kris! I can think of no better way to celebrate Earth Day than with candy at a picnic.

19 Christina April 22, 2012 at 3:43 pm

happy earth day!! we returned our lease today (early) and decided to try to use more eco friendly ways of travel. now i just need to buy a bike! lol

oh and the peanut butter cups look super yummy!

20 Tommy April 22, 2012 at 3:46 pm

stunning and impressive.as always, happy earth day to you guys!

21 Natasha April 22, 2012 at 6:21 pm

An a very Happy Earth Day to you, Jason, and the long and lovely Basil….Beautiful Kristina…you are incredible! Thank you for your up lifting words…thank you. :)

22 Nora @ Natural Noshing April 22, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Whoa!!! these are amazing… just like YOU and everything else you do :) Happy Earth Day my dear!

23 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca April 22, 2012 at 10:59 pm

ooohhh my gosh, wow! My favourite shot has to be the one where they’re cut in half to show the middle. These look way amazing! It’s such a pain to get vegan white chocolate chips where I live, though. I bet these are better than any pb cup!

24 Allie April 23, 2012 at 9:41 am

I somehow completely missed that it was Earth day! But I do have some seedlings ready to put in the ground, just waiting for this cold snap to pass. And I refuse to run my central heat, I’m just using a space heater in one room–little was I planning, but being cheap is pretty darn environmentally friendly too :D

25 Lora April 23, 2012 at 10:42 am

These are fantastic!

26 Nichole April 24, 2012 at 2:23 am

Not only do I love how you’re celebrating Earth Day – but I LOVE that these are peanut butter cups! Give me a glass of milk.

I will try to turn use less water when I’m getting ready in the morning, brushing my teeth and such.