Big Night recipe round up {Food ‘n Flix}

in Dinner

Food‘nFlix

I loved hosting Food ‘n Flix this month, and was happy to share one of my most favorite movies with several who had not seen it, and those who love it like I do. We had some delicious participation this month, great inspirations from the movie Big Night!

First up, Tina from Life in the Slow Lane at Squirrel Head Manor:

Tina shares a delicious Prima Seafood and Rice Medley – if you have watched the movie, you will understand that Tina made this specifically to include “seafood you can see” which is a nod to one of the many funny scenes and a fresh and light inspiration!

Following next is Eliot of Eliot’s Eats:

Risotto Primavera. Eliot’s colorful and fresh adaptation looks authentic and comforting – just as it should be. Eliot enjoyed the movie and its many great quotes, like Primo saying “To eat good food is to be close to God.”

Indeed, Primo, indeed.

Next in line is Heather of Girlichef and founder of Food ‘n Flix:

Heather made the Risotto Bianco (…e rosso o verde) in the colors of the Italian flag, as made in the movie! I have always wanted to make this one, so I’m happy to have a recipe to follow. Heather’s recipe looks and sounds delicious.

Our next recipe is from Sarah, of Well Dined:

Sarah’s creation is also inspired by the Italian flag, a Tricolore Lasagna. By using artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes and cream cheese, Sarah has combined some of my favorite ingredients into a great looking dish!

Then we have dinner and dessert from Culinary Adventures with Camilla:

Camilla made a timpano! Complete with fennel pollen in both the dough and the meatballs, this sounds like a flavorful dish!

Watching the movie, Camilla was waiting for the dessert that never appeared (I was too, Camilla). She made the smart move of adding a dessert, a flavorful and pretty affogato:

Deb from Kahakai Kitchen is up next:

Deb’s contribution is Pappardelle & Mushrooms – I want to watch the movie again while enjoying this dish! Deb, you had me at fresh cremini mushroom sauce

…and rounding out the event was my timpano:

We really had fun making that one, and I have a few ideas for different flavors, so you will be seeing the timpano again! Thank you to everyone who participated – you all made my first month of hosting a fun one!

To participate or follow along again next month, check out Food ‘n Flix, and visit Tina at Life in the Slow Lane at Squirrel Head Manor, hosting in May with the movie Sideways!

1 Heather @girlichef April 27, 2012 at 6:01 am

Thanks so much for picking such a fantastic food-lovers movie this month, Kristina! I can’t believe I’d never seen it in its entirety before. Such a delicious, inspired roundup. And I WILL try a timpano one of these days…. =)

2 spabettie April 27, 2012 at 4:05 pm

you are so very welcome, glad you got to see the whole movie. it was really fun hosting, and again I have to say I am so happy I found this fun group! Cheers!

3 Eliot April 27, 2012 at 7:07 am

Kristina, thanks for introducing me to my new “favorite movie of all time”! I was asking our art teacher (and resident film buff) about this movie yesterday and he also was incredulous that I had never seen this film. It is one of his favorites too. I had a great time participating this month. Can’t wait to re-watch Sideways. Again, cudos on the turnout of the fabulous timpano.
Thanks for hosting!

4 spabettie April 27, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Eliot I am SO happy you loved it, and that I could introduce it to you! :) Thank you for participating, it’s good to have you and your fantastic contribution!

5 jobo April 27, 2012 at 7:50 am

I MUST not read your posts when I am hungry!! I want to dive into ALL of these recipes, especially yours!! So fun!!

6 spabettie April 27, 2012 at 3:49 pm

don’t they all look delicious? my favorite movie inspired some good stuff!

7 Sarah C April 27, 2012 at 9:51 am

Thanks for a great movie choice! I had never even heard of it before. That last scene is one of the best I’ve ever seen. The movie has such a great representation of Italian food – as do all of the entries, well done everyone!

8 spabettie April 27, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Sarah I am so happy you liked it, and glad I could introduce you to it, being one of my favorites I think everyone needs to see it ;) I know, I love the last scene, it always makes me crave a simple scrambled egg… Thanks for participating, Sarah!

9 Tina April 27, 2012 at 11:05 am

Nice roundup and wow, what tempting dishes I see here. It all looks delicious. Heather is correct, you picked one helluva movie!

10 spabettie April 27, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I should have known it would be well received – such a good one! and I agree with you, Tina – everything looks fantastic!

11 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 27, 2012 at 11:36 am

Wow, these are all incredible!

12 spabettie April 27, 2012 at 3:44 pm

aren’t they? you should join us sometime, Sarena! the movie of the month could easily be one of your movie night choices! :D

13 Deb in Hawaii April 27, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Thanks again for hosting this month. I am so glad to see that many people got introduced to this special film and were inspired by it to create some gorgeous Italian dishes. Off to go visit them now. ;-)

14 spabettie April 27, 2012 at 3:43 pm

thank YOU, Deb! I was really happy to hear so many saw the film for the first time, and liked it as much as us!

15 Dinner at Christina's April 27, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Oh what a SUPER FUN club!!! I’m gonna check this out- I love this idea!! J and I are huge movie fans and obviously I’m a huge food fan!

16 spabettie April 27, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Christina you should join us – it is really fun! (wish you could have known this month when I was hosting…) :D the movie for May is Sideways, do it!

17 Elizabeth April 27, 2012 at 10:29 pm

I really wanted to participate this month, but I didn’t have time to watch the movie because of school consuming my life. :(

Everything looks great though!

18 Natasha April 28, 2012 at 6:44 am

Forgive me Kristina – but how do I join this again? If you could ref me back to that post I will re-read.

Cheers my Friend!

19 spabettie April 28, 2012 at 9:14 am

oooh, I would LOVE for you to participate!! everything you need to know is right here: Food ‘n Flix …and you can ask me anything, too. If I don’t have the answer I can get you in touch with Heather, our lovely founder. *cough* start a blog *cough* ;)

20 Kath (My Funny Little Life) May 2, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Wow, so much food creativity! :D I’m happy the Big Night was a success!

21 spabettie May 2, 2012 at 6:57 pm

isn’t it all wonderful? such a fun event, I had fun “hosting” :)

22 Glennis May 6, 2012 at 7:28 pm

What an incredible round up!! I couldn’t find the movie…read the book, and just got bogged down… One of these days…at least by August! LOL! You folks did an excellent job of representing the storyline! 2 timpanos!! Tricolor risotto!! Tricolor lasagne AND timpano!! What amazing food!!