thoughts and things

in thoughts and things

Not only has my dear friend Deb been a wonderful support and source of great information during my dad’s illness, but she sends me dachshund chopstick holders from Japan as well. These little guys made my day.

So many of you continue to ask after dad. We had a step backwards this week, with another middle of the night trip to the ER for a lung infection. Dad is okay now, back at home and I am relieved to have my brother around to help now! Not only for the obvious reasons help brings, but because I’m not so alone in this. and my brother and I always have fun together.

This marriage proposal. Sweetest ever, and it was right here in Portland!

This book is so good! I read it within two days. I don’t want to talk too much about what it is about – it is from the perspective of the dog, and written very well at that. It gets philosophical at times, using great metaphor to tell a touching story. The end is the best ending I’ve read since Water for Elephants.

I have been wanting to make Lisa’s bread for a while now, and this sandwich is just what will make it finally happen.

Look, more seasonal beer!

We brought this home yesterday. As much as I love ginger, this wasn’t my favorite. I still dig on the label, though…

Lunch today? This sandwich:

Twelve things you should be able to say about yourself. <– powerful,  this.

What are you up to this weekend? Have any movie suggestions? I think I’ll take Jason on a date!

Happy Weekend!

1 Abby May 26, 2012 at 5:16 am

I’m sorry about the minor setback. It’s a stumble, not a dealbreaker, and from what you’ve shared about your dad, he’s a fighter. Side note: Deb is an angel.

Second, I read that book last year and agree that it’s a great read. If you’re into things like that, check out “Homer’s Odyssey” about a blind cat. It’s much better than I just described it and quite frankly, an awesome book. I have no movie recommendations, as I haven’t been in forever (baseball/hockey/gardening season) ;)

Have a great weekend!

2 spabettie May 26, 2012 at 2:40 pm

it is only a stumble, you are right about that. I am always comforted by your truths, Abby. and YES – Deb is an angel. truly.

Homer’s Odyssey – I will definitely look for it! Different from the Iliad sequel, yes? ;) We rarely see movies, given my distaste for movie theaters, but we have those new “living room” style theaters with couches and food. those are more fun for me, nobody kicking or sitting tall in front of me. I have movie issues. ;)

happy weekend to you too, friend! xo

3 katie May 26, 2012 at 5:57 am

Sorry to hear about your dad’s er trip, glad he is back home though and doing better. So nice your brother is around to help too, that I am sure makes it more comforting for you.

Love the sandwich, gosh looks so good and so green!

Sending love to you girl! Oh and Basil too! <3

4 spabettie May 26, 2012 at 2:35 pm

thanks, Katie. I always pass on your love and good thoughts. :) It is SO nice to have my brother around, we can share the … I can’t call it a ‘burden’ because it is absolutely not that, I am happy to do it… we can share the “work” of making our dad better! Its nice to have an ally in this.

I wish I could make you one of these sandwiches… I know you’d love it! well… you might rather have the pancakes with your famous protein frosting… but oh well! ;)

love you friend! XO

5 Krystina (Krystina Yogini) May 26, 2012 at 7:52 am

Is it bad if I bawled my eyes out watching that proposal? It was SO cute. When I told my boyfriend he thought it was stupid. I can’t wait to see how he proposes if/when he does.

I’m glad to hear that you dad is doing better. I’m sending you lots of love and good thoughts. <3

6 spabettie May 26, 2012 at 2:31 pm

nope, I did too. I was laughing and sniffling, and Jason was wondering what was up! :) thank you for the good thoughts, Krystina! I really appreciate it! XO

7 Sophie May 26, 2012 at 8:00 am

I read that book a few years ago. LOVED it. Made me appreciate my dog just that much more. :)

8 spabettie May 26, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I know, I feel the same way… I often look at Basil and wish I knew what he was thinking. sweet little guy.

9 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy May 26, 2012 at 8:26 am

I’ll be thinking and praying for your dad. I’m glad he’s doing better. Enjoy your lunch today…looks colorful and amazing!

10 spabettie May 26, 2012 at 2:29 pm

thank you so much, Caralyn. I am too. and we did enjoy those sandwiches… I always love them!

11 jobo May 26, 2012 at 9:13 am

Oh, my prayers are with you and your father and your family!!! Sending lots of strength and love. As for a movie, I hear Men in Black III might be pretty good ;-) I am looking forward to cookouts and outdoor time!! XO

12 spabettie May 26, 2012 at 2:29 pm

thanks, friend… I always appreciate it from you, and could definitely use the strength right now! I think I HAVE to see MIB… just because. :D have an enjoyable weekend! XO

13 bitt May 26, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I loved that book. I know the author and he’s a lovely person as well. If you liked that one, I may have to try Water for Elephants. I’ve been holding off due to worries about animal abuse upsetting me.

I may have to do a juiced smoothie (from the other post). I can’t juice fruits, but I can smoothie berries. And I’m having trouble with just green juices so green lately.

I saw the Avengers last week and it was pretty good if you like that sort of thing. My husband was happy, so maybe yours will be too. Have a good weekend!

14 spabettie May 26, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I imagine the author is a neat person… I often think that about a book that really gets me.

I loved Water for Elephants, it has so many great aspects. The animal abuse is obviously there, and I cannot stand it either, but I really don’t remember it being a main focus… and knowing me, I wanted to continue with the story, which really is beautiful, so I’m sure I skipped over those parts. At the end of this book, I walked into the room totally crying (in a happy way). I had the same happy reaction at the end of WFE… which made Jason stop and ask whats wrong!? This time he saw the book in my hands and knew :)

The Avengers… perhaps we’ll check it out. I know Jason wants to see Spiderman, who is conspicuously absent from the Avengers… so I’m sure he’d like that as well! ;)

have a great weekend, Bitt!

15 Heather (Where's the Beach) May 26, 2012 at 5:16 pm

OMG I love love that book. My friend loaned it to me last summer (I think it was last summer). I enjoyed every minute of it. I am glad you have your brother with you. I know what it means to have my sister with me period.

16 spabettie May 30, 2012 at 7:50 am

I know, my brother and I always have fun… so it is nice to have an ally in this, makes it lighter sometimes, you know?

17 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca May 27, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I’m sorry about the step back with your Dad- glad he’s back home now & that you have your brother’s help. *hugs*

I LOVE those chopstick holders!! What a thoughtful gift! :)

18 spabettie May 30, 2012 at 7:43 am

thanks, Char – your words always help!

19 Janetha May 29, 2012 at 9:22 am

Deb is the best! And so are you!

20 spabettie May 30, 2012 at 7:36 am

she really is… and not at all just because of the doxies…