grilled sushi dog

in Dinner,grilling,recipes,summertime,Vegan

Happy Sunday!

I sure am happy – yesterday I spent my vacation unpacking boxes and setting up the dining room, which is going to be my photography studio. In addition to the photos I shoot for this website, I have now had 2 paid gigs and am negotiating a third. I am so happy to have a real dedicated space for photos and props, where I can grow this lifelong interest into more exciting opportunities.

The house is coming together – most of the boxes are in the living room, which will be our “library” when everything is settled. We want a nice area for all of our books (both Jason and I have so, so many – my brother can attest to that as he packed them all), our stereo, and perhaps one day that cocktail cart I have always wanted.

I’ll share more house photos soon.

Today, though, we are taking a break from the work. We are getting together with two other couples to grill. The girls are both doctors I used to work with, and their husbands are both Jason’s band mates.

There may be an impromptu jam session later.

Speaking of grilling, I do believe we have already grilled more this season than all of last summer.¬†Portland’s summer was so dismal last year, Jason just realized he never had to replace the tank on the grill. Sad.

I have a “hot dog craving” about this time each year, and the other day I indulged it. That craving was satisfied with a vegan dog and a gluten free bun, and in this case, sushi flavors. Jason had chicken dogs, and our guests were split down the middle – half had those and half had the faux variety. We all enjoyed our own Japanese flavor toppings!

grilled sushi dogs

assemble ingredients:

hot dogs
hot dog rolls
caramelized onions
sesame seeds
sprouts (daikon and regular)
miso dressing
spicy sriracha sauce
Nori Komi Furikake

While Jason was grilling the dogs and buns, I was caramelizing the onions and prepping everything else. I made an assembly line buffet style, so everyone could make their own.

These can be made entirely vegan, and while I know the field roast is not gluten free, I still used gluten free hot dog rolls. Since I only have a hot dog craving about once a year, I’m not too versed on the vegan variety – anyone know of vegan dogs that are also gluten free? I also made the miso dressing and spicy sriracha sauce with vegan mayo.

We love this unique flavor addition to a classic grilled dog – the miso mayo and grilled onions are my favorite part, and I never have enough nori.

What are your favorite hot dog toppings?

1 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty May 27, 2012 at 8:10 am

Sushi anything is good in my books! YUM! I don’t think we have those dogs up here, I’ve been seeing them pop up and I’m super interested in them, they must be pretty good!?

2 spabettie May 30, 2012 at 7:48 am

they are REALLY good – just veggies and grains. VERY flavorful!

3 Abby May 27, 2012 at 8:45 am

You’ve still been posting like crazy, so big props! I’m bummed because I used to really like soy hot dogs, but seeing as I can’t tolerate soy anymore, I’m kind of screwed. However, when I could, it was always just ketchup and a few onions. I never got too creative ;)

Enjoy your time off!

4 spabettie May 30, 2012 at 7:48 am

I had some extra time, it was fun! I’ve been so off and on lately, it was nice to have a few days of connection. and time off!

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) May 27, 2012 at 9:13 am

Congrats on the gigs. That’s awesome! I love Field Roast. So yummy. I’m pretty basic with my toppings: mustard and sauerkraut. MMMMM

6 spabettie May 30, 2012 at 7:47 am

we can’t have sauerkraut in this house… ;) just kidding. but Jason HATES it.

7 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy May 27, 2012 at 9:25 am

Exciting that your house is coming together!! YAY!! :) And those sushi dogs look scrumptious!! what a fun twist! thanks for sharing!

8 spabettie May 30, 2012 at 7:46 am

thank you, Caralyn – we are excited to be settled in and “normal” – ha! I work at it every day… almost there!

9 lynn @ the actor's diet May 27, 2012 at 2:17 pm

yum! reminds me of when we had japadog in vancouver:

10 spabettie May 30, 2012 at 7:45 am

I have always wanted to get up there for one of those…

11 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca May 27, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I love sushi everything! I will take a vegan sushi dog any day :D

Glad your house is coming together! So exciting that you have your own photography studio space. Hopefully I’ll have that in my home someday soon :)

12 spabettie May 30, 2012 at 7:44 am

I hope for a photo studio for you too! I really like having a dedicated space (even though I still do use other parts of the house as well…) :D

13 Johnna May 27, 2012 at 7:37 pm

The original tofu pups from Lightlife are gluten free. I sure do miss the apple sage Field Roast.

14 spabettie May 30, 2012 at 7:43 am

thank you, Johnna! I will get those next time we grill. I love the Field Roast flavors, but they do have an adverse effect on me. I can slice open the tofu pups and add my own herbs! :)

15 Lynn F May 27, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Funny, I was just getting the tater tots ready in the oven and getting ready to cook my veggie dog. I am putting sauerkraut, tomatoes, mustard, and onion on it! :)

16 spabettie May 30, 2012 at 7:41 am

veggie dogs in Oregon for the win! hope you are enjoying summer so far, Lynn! JUST AS SOON as we are settled, you have to come visit! :)

17 Nichole May 28, 2012 at 7:20 am

Yea for unpacking and settling in. Take your time and I know you’ll be set in no time. Can’t wait for pics!

Perfect grilling weekend recipe – Basil style:)

18 spabettie May 30, 2012 at 7:40 am

Basil style – ha! ;)

19 Kath (My Funny Little Life) May 28, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Impromptu jam sessions are the best!!! :D :D And after a BBQ, unbeatable! :D

20 Roz@weightingfor50 May 28, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Hi Kris! OMG…a photo room???? AWESOME! You take fantastic photos, I’m not surprised it’s turning into more than a hobby for you.

21 spabettie May 30, 2012 at 7:39 am

thank you, Roz! I am pretty excited too… XO

22 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning May 29, 2012 at 8:54 am

Whoa- I love the idea of sushi dogs!!! I really love hot dogs, but hardly ever eat them! I just kind of forget that they exist!
My favorite toppings: Mustard, dill relish, onion and tomato! Oh and maybe sauerkraut too.
But really, you can probably throw anything on top of a hot dog and I’d be a fan.

23 spabettie May 30, 2012 at 7:38 am

we really don’t eat them often, but in the summertime every now and then! I love the classic toppings (you are making me hungry now…) and I like to mix it up sometimes… the sushi toppings are fun!

24 jobo May 29, 2012 at 9:37 am

I love a good hot dog. Seriously. People knock ‘em and I don’t care, once in awhile, you just gotta do it. Same with bologna, for me. Just gotta do it once in awhile, even if I am not sure what is actually IN them ;-) Congrats on house progress, grilling lots (me too!), and the photog biz!!!

25 spabettie May 30, 2012 at 7:36 am

I crave a hot dog in the summer time… at least a couple times! we are excited to be grilling a lot! hope your week is going well Jolene! XXO

26 Allie May 31, 2012 at 7:45 am

How unique! Great idea for toppings. Hmm, so many vegan dogs are vital wheat gluten-based–makes it pretty hard to find gluten-free when, well, gluten is the main ingredient, haha.

27 spabettie May 31, 2012 at 10:20 am

I know… someone up there in the comments reminded me of the original Tofu Dogs – remember those? She says those are gluten free!

28 Hannah-lyz June 1, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Oooh I know the feeling with the books! Me and my partner moved house the same weekend as you! And we had at least 7 large boxes filled to the brim with books! (which I managed to escape carrying! phew!) I’d love to have a room for a library some day! At the moment, books are stacked 2-deep on the shelves, and plonked anywhere there’s room! Ah well :P I now have a garden (didn’t before), so bbq’s and sushi hot dogs will make everything alright =D x

29 spabettie June 1, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I know, my brother helped move plenty of ours, and the poor movers had to move some as well. I saved the REALLY big boxes for them, they are professionals and have hand trucks! ;) I have always wanted a library! it may take a while for us to “build” it, we want permanent shelving in there. you moved the same weekend – are you all settled in? :D

30 Hannah-lyz June 3, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Aw thats good! Lucky you having professional moves! We made do with family and sheer force of will! Lol! Oooh goodness no! I’ve carved outr a little space at the dining table to work at, aside from that, still getting there! The landlady still has furniture there, so we can’t unpack properly untill that’s removed. But we have a garden! And a working fridge (has to go a week without one, not so fun!) So things are getting there :) Have you settled in well? x

31 spabettie June 4, 2012 at 10:16 am

we are getting there too – so… many… boxes! ;) happy to hear you have a fridge now – I can’t imagine. we moved a lot by ourselves, too – the movers were for the big heavy things like my treadmill and rolltop desk from my childhood! :) well, and some big boxes of books ;)

32 Hannah-lyz June 5, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Haha aw good. I kind of had it in my head that we’d move on the weekend, and I’d be ready to be back working by the tuesday! ..I’ve quickly learned that moving into one room at uni, and moving an entire house-load of stuff, are not the same thing…
Spending time with friends and family is the perfect remedy to the stress! Hope you had a great weekend :) I’m going to have to try those strawberry-habenero margaritas.. though perhaps with vodka instead of tequila ..(another uni experience..) x