Thai deviled eggs

in appetizers,Gluten Free,Happy Hour at Home,snacks,summertime

If there is one thing I am super wishy washy about, it would be eggs. If I think too much about them, I can’t eat them. Still, they have been touted as The Perfect Food, and as a vegetarian, I like a complete protein source. When I was a kid, poached eggs were my favorite breakfast, and not only because my mom would cook them perfectly and mash them into shapes for me.

If there was ever an appetizer I could not stop raving about, This Is It. Thai deviled eggs. I love these so much, I really wish I was the one who came up with them. Just because, they are that good.

Remember when I shared with you the perfect boiled egg? I still employ this method, and it works … perfectly. Especially when you are making deviled eggs, since you want the whites to be smooth and whole.

This recipe calls for ginger, and I used fresh grated. So amazing. This recipe uses some very creative ingredients, and the flavors are fantastic. To see the recipe and make it immediately, see the recipe here –> Thai deviled eggs.

Are you a deviled egg fan? What is your perfect food?

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) June 1, 2012 at 5:17 am

Deviled eggs were one of the very very few ways I’d eat eggs as a kid. I can’t even recall the last time I had one. My perfect food? Pizza! ;-)

2 spabettie June 1, 2012 at 5:16 pm

oh yes, pizza IS another perfect food! ;)

3 Abby June 1, 2012 at 5:30 am

While I’m trying to cut out all animal products, I do still dabble in eggs a couple of times a week. It seems I go through phases where I crave them and then they disgust me. I make no sense. Anyway, I’ve actually never had a deviled egg! I prefer them scrambled with nooch and veggies or fried in Earth Balance, but my mom made some for Easter and turned them into little chicks peeking out of the shell with little faces. They were super cute (still didn’t eat one, but they were cute.)

Anyway, I ramble. I guess my “perfect” food would be oatmeal. While there are a ton of foods I keep in my rotation that I could mention–broccoli, asparagus, etc.–I’ll go with the cliche of oatmeal ;)

4 spabettie June 1, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I hear ya, Abby. and you DO make sense, trust me, especially with eggs. I am the same way. I recently started eating eggs for breakfast a couple times a week, just to have protein variety. I’ve been enjoying them again. sometimes ;)

5 katie June 1, 2012 at 6:08 am

I used to LOVE deviled eggs! My mom would make them all the time for family parties and I would seriously eat a tray, haha!

I like to make humus eggs now, just fill with hummus, much healthier too! ;)

Your recipe though is healthier as well!

Happy weekend! Hope your dad had a good week :)

xoxo <3

6 spabettie June 1, 2012 at 5:11 pm

hummus is a great option too!

thanks, Katie! Dad is doing okay this week – starts radiation on Monday!

have a great weekend, XXO!

7 jobo June 1, 2012 at 6:58 am

I LOVE deviled eggs! M makes scrambled eggs similarly to this, seasoning-wise and I LOVE the flavor combo!!

8 spabettie June 1, 2012 at 5:10 pm

ooh, I may have to translate that into a scramble too…

9 Evan Thomas June 1, 2012 at 7:13 am

Glad you liked them, Kristina!

10 spabettie June 1, 2012 at 5:10 pm

the flavors are incredible – best thing I’ve made in a while!

11 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 1, 2012 at 7:20 am

ohh those do sound good! i love a good deviled egg! how interesting with the thai flavors! and this is a perfect dish to bring to upcoming summer parties! mmm! thanks for sharing!

12 spabettie June 1, 2012 at 5:09 pm

that’s what I said – great to bring to outdoor events because there is no mayo!

13 Allie June 1, 2012 at 8:12 am

There’s something about boiled egg that I just can’t do (veganism aside)–like you say, eggs are an easy thing to be wishy-washy about. Hmm, as soon as my hens are laying, I’ll have to try hardboiled eggs again and see if my less than pleasant memories hold true. Fried eggs and omelets, though? Now THOSE I’m excited about!

14 spabettie June 1, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I am both excited for and envious of your chickens… (did I say that already!?) fresh eggs are SO good!

15 Tiffany June 1, 2012 at 8:48 am

Deviled eggs are one of my top 10 favorite foods out there. That being said, I only indulge in it a few times a year because I love them that much. I like to make mine spicy with chile powder and then add hot sauce to them–yum!

16 spabettie June 1, 2012 at 5:01 pm

you should try these, Tiffany – they are so SO good!

17 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 1, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I can not stand deviled eggs. However, eggs are a perfect food, in my opinion. I am with you on not thinking about where they come from, but I do know the importance of my health and those B12 are so incredibly important. I learned that the hard way. It’s so hard…that fact that I know our bodies need some sources for fuel, but I don’t want to take supplements for everything either because I don’t think we were made to do that. I try to be as respectful as I can to myself, animals and our environment.

That being said, the eggs looks delicious! Evan’s recipe is quite creative!

18 spabettie June 1, 2012 at 4:56 pm

girl, you are preaching my song. I already take enough in supplement / homeopathy form, I try to get as many vitamins as naturally as possible. I recently brought back eggs after sort of avoiding them for a bit… now that it is Farmers Market season, I get them from a farm where I’ve seen their happy chickens! :) and I wish I could have my own chickens… fresh eggs are amazing.

isn’t this recipe all kinds of awesome? glad you can see that even if you dislike the deviled egg… ;)

19 Ashlae | oh, ladycakes June 1, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I recently reintroduced eggs back into my diet, and I haven’t gone a day without eating them, since. I like to think I’m making up for lost time (almost 2 years of being vegan) – but something tells me eggs will always be a daily staple. I’ve caught up on eating eggs in every form, but I have yet to make deviled eggs. So! I think Thai deviled eggs are in my very near future. Loving the addition of peanut butter.

I’d have to say eggs, along with quinoa, are my perfect foods. Can I add spinach, too?

20 spabettie June 2, 2012 at 9:04 am

me too, Ashlae! well, I haven’t been eating them every day now, but for the first week I sure did! and I can’t wait to hear what you think of this recipe – it’s one of my favorites for sure. quinoa and spinach are among my perfect foods as well. can I come cook with you!? ;)

21 denise June 1, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I make deviled eggs every Monday for a girls group I belong to. It just became as so because the first couple times I brought them, they disappeared and then if I didn’t bring them, I’d be asked why not. Each week I try new flavorings so this coming Monday, guess what? Yup, the girls are getting Thai Deviled Eggs!!

Thanks for adding to my repertoire! :)

22 spabettie June 2, 2012 at 9:02 am

oh, I just know these will disappear quick too, Denise! you may as well plan on a double batch now ;)

23 denise June 2, 2012 at 9:05 am

hit me over the head with a hammer!! my brother and I share a b.day today (he’s older at 50) and a surprise party is being given for him. I was wondering what I’d bring. Ding Dong!! these eggs! perfect timing! thanks again! and yes, a double batch may be needed.

24 spabettie June 4, 2012 at 10:20 am

did you make them? how were they? :)

25 denise June 5, 2012 at 11:05 am

I did make them. My neighbors (mom and daughter) are my taste testers and mom loved them. Daughter, I found out is weird about deviled eggs in general.

At the party, a few of the group wouldn’t even try them, another didn’t like them, a few did like them. I was picking up my stuff to leave, including the container with 4 eggs left to it, put it in the car and my 24 year old nephew came running out asking if there were any left could he have one. I asked if he wanted all 4 and he happily scooped them up onto a plate to eat without sharing. That made it all worthwhile right there.

I didn’t get a chance to make them for my group last night, they will be tested in two weeks! LOL

ps: did the baking soda trick, still hard some hard to peel eggs. :( They are farm fresh and from what I understand, because they are fresh, they don’t separate from the shell easily. Will test this again next time.

26 Jane June 3, 2012 at 8:06 am

Oh my gosh – I just checked out your perfect boiled egg post – that is crazy! A few weeks ago I made some hummus deviled eggs and could not peel them!! I will have to try the baking soda!

27 spabettie June 4, 2012 at 10:19 am

is that the most frustrating thing ever?? you need to try the baking soda – it makes the shell harder? they are so easy to peel, in big pieces, and the egg is nice and smooth. :)

28 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List June 3, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I love eggs. Which is why I could never be vegan. I could easily give up meat, but love eggs and dairy! Fortunately, I get farm fresh eggs from my sister – FREE and healthy.

29 spabettie June 4, 2012 at 10:18 am

oh, farm fresh is the best! now that farmers markets are open again here, we get those too… probably why I am eating more again. and I’m the same – mostly vegan, but enjoy eggs and some cheese now and then. you know I don’t label anything though, only for recipe purposes! :D good to see you here, dear friend! XO

30 Kath (My Funny Little Life) June 6, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I have a difficult relationship with eggs as well. They tend to make me feel sick easily, and when I eat them too often or two many of them … better not think about it. ;) My mom loves eggs, though, and finds them to be the perfect “long distance satiation” food. When she’s on the golf court all day, she eats eggs before, and often takes a hardboiled egg and a banana with her, and those get her through the whole day without problems.

31 spabettie June 9, 2012 at 9:46 am

and that is why I recently brought eggs back into my diet – they really ARE a perfect food, I think. I don’t feel sick from them generally, they just kindof freak me out if I think about them too long ;)

32 Katrina June 7, 2012 at 5:29 pm

I have made these more than once too, thank you for sharing his recipe!

33 spabettie June 9, 2012 at 9:09 am

so glad you like them too! Evan came up with a great one, right?

34 Jan June 10, 2012 at 8:53 am

these are so good, thanks for sharing with us all. love the site.

35 spabettie June 6, 2012 at 6:39 am

well that is an interesting thing about fresher eggs! I picked up some from the farmers market over the weekend, but have not tried them yet. maybe add MORE baking soda? ;)

good to know there were no leftovers, eventually! ;) I know deviled eggs aren’t everyone’s thing, but the adventurous folks are definitely in for a treat with these, I think! :) hope your group likes them as well!