wine country vacation

in BIRTHDAY,Portland,travel

The day after class was completed, I took Jason to Oregon’s wine country for a birthday vacation. We stayed at a lovely B&B on 130 acres of gorgeousness.

We ate at great restaurants and sipped wine at great vineyards.

We came home with a car full of wine and a couple new club memberships.

We enjoy our wine.

We toured one winery I have been wanting to visit for a while, and we both thought it was some of the best wine we tasted on this whole trip.

I also finally met a long time blog friend – I will tell you all about all of it soon!

Jason has been wanting to get away to our wine country for months now, and things kept getting in the way. When planning his birthday, I thought this would be a great vacation away. He has been saying all week that it was exactly what he wanted.

Relaxation, sunshine and wine tasting – exactly what we both needed!

1 janetha [meals & moves] June 27, 2012 at 2:48 pm

ahhh.. i could feel the relaxation coming through in the photos.

2 spabettie June 27, 2012 at 3:27 pm

seriously. so needed :D

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) June 27, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Um, jealous!!!! I will get to wine country one of these days!

4 spabettie June 27, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I was just telling Lindsay (COtter) that all us girls need to do that some day – we all meet up at a winery! SO fun, right??

5 Heather @ Better With Veggies June 27, 2012 at 3:05 pm

One of my fav vacation activities is wine tasting – beautiful pictures! I’d love to hear what wineries you became a member of, love learning about new places. Our latest winery membership is with Etude in Sonoma, which we visited back in February.

6 spabettie June 27, 2012 at 3:26 pm

ours too – we love visiting wineries, Jason ended up talking to the owner of one for a while (they are both engineers… ;) ), he took us on a tour of the whole facility. it was very cool to see and listen to the process. our new memberships are with Penner Ash and Vidon Vineyard (the one we talked with a while). Both make some amazing wine! The other winery in Oregon we are a member with is Noble Pig – we have been a member with them since the beginning a couple years ago – very good wine!

the rest of our memberships are from Napa + Yountville, from our trip last spring.

7 lindsay June 27, 2012 at 3:10 pm

oh how i am envious! more so because i’d love to be there with YOU!

8 spabettie June 27, 2012 at 3:19 pm

oh I know – one day we’ll have to have all us girls meet in wine country, right?? HOW FUN would that be! :D

9 Kalee @ SoreyFitness June 27, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Wow this is so pretty!! What a great birthday idea! We went to a local winery for our 1 year (Dating) anniversary last year, and we loved it! I want to go to Napa Valley now on a vacation at some point :) Or Portland ;)

10 spabettie June 27, 2012 at 7:41 pm

we went to Napa last spring – I can’t wait to get back there too! Portland is great, and even a day trip to wine country is easy – 30-45 minutes away!

11 Lisa June 27, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Oregon has some fantastic wine! I love wine tasting. I usually go to Hood River–it looks like you went to the Valley.

12 spabettie June 27, 2012 at 7:40 pm

yes, we were in the McMinneville / Carlton / Newberg area. it was nice. I’ve never spent time at Hood river wineries… we overheard a couple people say Walla Walla has good wine country, too! I need to visit them all!

13 Lisa June 27, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Hood River wineries are amazing. Much cheaper too! Tastings about $5. I have some favorites there too. I haven’t been to the ones in Walla Walla but Yakima has some good ones too.

14 spabettie June 28, 2012 at 7:18 am

which are your favorites in HR? we may have to make our way up there… is it still a lot of Pinot or something else?

15 Lisa June 28, 2012 at 11:29 am

My favorite is Quenett. We were in their club for awhile. Cathedral Ridge is good but busy. Marchesi is excellent! Pheasant Valley is pretty good. Naked Winery is fun but I don’t like their wines as much.

16 Averie @ Averie Cooks June 27, 2012 at 4:15 pm

love wineries, wine tours, tastings, and gorgeous posts like this :)

17 spabettie June 27, 2012 at 7:39 pm

yes, and I know you can relate when I say now I really need to finish (start??) the kitchen remodel, because we have too much wine and nowhere to put it! :D

18 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 27, 2012 at 5:16 pm

This would be Tony’s dream vacation. I wish I could take him away right now. Looks beautiful my friend. I’m so glad you two got to enjoy a little time away!

19 spabettie June 27, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I wish you guys could get away, too – to Oregon! :D

20 Cara June 27, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Beautiful photos! Just the kind of getaway my husband and I love too. I can’t wait to come visit Oregon again!

21 spabettie June 27, 2012 at 7:37 pm

thanks, Cara! we were unplugged except for the camera this vacation… ;) it was such a nice getaway – a very short car trip, but we feel like we’re on a real vacation. we talked about making this a monthly thing, even just a night or two.

22 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 27, 2012 at 8:29 pm

sounds like such a wonderful afternoon — red wine is such a treat!

23 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 28, 2012 at 5:02 am

Wow, sounds like a good time! I’m glad you guys could disconnect and spend some quality time together! Can’t wait to see who you connected with.

24 jobo July 3, 2012 at 9:45 am

LOVE this! Clearly ;-) Which wine clubs?? did you go to Torii Mor? My friend LOVES their pinot noir there and it’s one of few pinots that I like! Love that we both just did this same thing!

25 spabettie July 3, 2012 at 10:02 am

I love it too – and um>>> we are going back this week! what?? :D our new wine clubs are Penner Ash and Vidon Vineyards – both fabulous. i had fun looking through all the photos of you all – I’ll be posting more soon :)

26 jobo July 3, 2012 at 10:06 am

Going back?? SO awesome!! Check out Tori Mor!!

27 spabettie July 3, 2012 at 10:10 am

I know, crazy. We talked about making it a monthly or bi-monthly weekend thing (without buying multiple cases each time AHEM) because we had so much fun… one of our new clubs is having a summer member party, so we decided to go back! This is Jason’s Friday because of the holiday, so… :D

I have heard of Tori Mor, probably even had it before, but never been… I’ll look them up!

28 spabettie June 29, 2012 at 11:29 am

thanks, Lisa – I’ll put them on our list! :D have a great weekend!