cheesy tomato stuffed waffles

in baking,Breakfast,Dinner,Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan

Okay, so you get the vehicle registration renewal in the mail. They send those things way early, so you have plenty of notice to get it updated before your tags expire.

Each time I get one, my intentions are good – telling myself yes, this time I will take care of this right away.

My tags expired in January. Yep, six whole months ago.

I am not making excuses, but my mind was definitely elsewhere the first several months of 2012. It wasn’t until I was packing my desk for the move that I found the paperwork.

That was late April. Oops.

I was shocked I had not been pulled over already – I was driving all over the place those first few months – to Dad’s house each day, to his doctors appointments and hospitals all over town, and just my normal every day driving.

I finally found the time to take Tillie through DEQ. She failed. Continued to drive her expired tags, all last month back and forth to class, two road trips to wine country, normal every day driving.

Last Monday morning before leaving the house, I called my childhood friend who owns an auto shop and made an appointment for (last) Friday. Guess what happens next? Kris leaves the house, Kris gets pulled over.

Friday my car gets fixed – a sensor that eventually needs replacing even if you take great care of your car – and on the way out I tell Scotty I’m leaving there and heading right up to DEQ. He tells me the sensors sometimes take a while to reset, and I should wait a couple days.

Instead of going to DEQ I came home, made tomato orange soup and tomato stuffed waffles and hoped I wouldn’t get pulled over on the weekend. On our trip back to wine country.

cheesy tomato stuffed waffles

adapted from Abbey Ale Belgian Waffles

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

makes 4-6 (Belgian style) stuffed waffles

2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
pinch sea salt
3/4 cup club soda
1/3 cup coconut milk (carton)
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 roma tomatoes, sliced thin
4-6 slices cheese (my favorite cheddar)

Sift together flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt. Add soda, milk, and oil, stirring until just combined. Pour a small amount (1/4 to 1/3 cup, depending on size of iron) into prepared waffle iron, top with tomato and cheese slices, cover with another 1/4 cup batter. Close and cook per machine instructions. I cooked mine about 3-4 minutes on one side, flipping and cooking another minute (using a waffle iron that flips).

As you read this, I am most likely at the DEQ. Wish me luck.

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) July 9, 2012 at 5:31 am

Good luck at the DEQ!! I’m a tag nazi LOL – It’s this crazy game I play spotting expired tags. I’ve reminded my mom and sister ;-) And those waffles look flipping amazing!

2 spabettie July 10, 2012 at 8:28 am

so could have used your expired tag spotting skills, Heather! several months ago! ;)

3 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) July 9, 2012 at 5:33 am

Ha! I can’t believe you went that long with your car registration, that is classic. Hopefully it all works out!

The waffles look AMAZING. Why have I never thought of this combo? You’re so smart. :)

4 spabettie July 10, 2012 at 8:27 am

I can’t believe it either! actually what I can’t believe is that I have not been pulled over before this – I drive A LOT. EVERYWHERE. :D

we could make bakery sandwiches with these waffles… ;)

5 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 9, 2012 at 6:10 am

UGH, good luck indeed! I have done something similar to that before too and only found out after I got pulled over. Oops!

I LOVE savory waffles and these totally are up my alley! YUM!

6 spabettie July 10, 2012 at 8:26 am

haa, yeah in my case I knew exactly why he pulled me over. ;) he was nice enough, though, and even grew up on the street we just moved to! ha! (yeah, which means I haven’t updated my address on my drivers license either – oops!)

7 Ashley F. July 9, 2012 at 7:41 am

Good luck!

I’ve never been a big waffle fan, but then again I’ve never had STUFFED waffles – now I think I have to make a trip to Kohl’s to pick up a waffle iron :)

8 spabettie July 10, 2012 at 8:19 am

Ashley I was just telling Allie that I have been making lots of stuffed waffles recently, so the waffle maker justification will continue… ;)

9 Aimee July 9, 2012 at 7:57 am

Oh shoot! Sorry you got pulled over! My car failed for the first time in it’s life this year, and my parents car always fails now because they don’t drive it fast enough and certain sensors don’t get recharged (so I have to take it out on the freeway for them for about an hour with no a/c or radio on). Crazy, right?

Those waffles? Look amazing! Never would have put that combo together, but it sounds like it would be tasty.

10 spabettie July 10, 2012 at 8:18 am

aw, that’s nice of you to do that for them! ;) I was upset it didn’t pass, I take very good care of my car, but it was something that happens regardless, so no biggie. well, no biggie in a normal situation ;)

11 Allie July 9, 2012 at 8:47 am

Oh. My. Goodness. I mean, everything you make looks delicious. But tomato and cheese waffles?? And of course I always read your posts when it’s still an hour until lunchtime :D Now I can hungrily dream of the day I invest in a waffle maker…

12 spabettie July 10, 2012 at 8:17 am

thanks Allie – I’ve been stuffing waffles with many things lately… so more waffle maker justification will be shared soon ;)

13 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy July 9, 2012 at 9:26 am

good luck!! oh my gosh, what a combination! how delicious!

14 Heather @ Better With Veggies July 9, 2012 at 9:40 am

Wow – you continue to amaze me – what a fantastic idea!!!

15 spabettie July 10, 2012 at 8:11 am

thanks, friend! :)

16 Averie @ Averie Cooks July 9, 2012 at 10:20 am

savory waffles – love it! And I love tomatoes in my grilled cheese sandwiches, so this is right up my alley.

17 spabettie July 10, 2012 at 8:10 am

I’ve always loved tomatoes on my grilled cheese too… Mmm.

18 Katia July 9, 2012 at 11:24 am

Wow, now I don’t feel so bad. I did the same thing for a couple years (although not as many months went by) so this year I promised myself I’d renew on time. I mailed it in, got the tags mid-May, told myself the old ones were good until the end of the month, now I still can’t find them. Good luck at the DEQ!

19 spabettie July 10, 2012 at 8:10 am

see!!? best intentions, right? then you do it TOO early and you’re in the same situation. hope you find them before expiration.

20 Eileen July 9, 2012 at 11:28 am

Tomato & cheese-stuffed waffles?? Those sound amazing! Also, we were just in Portland for the 4th, & I totally passed by the deli of tomato orange soup fame & thought of you. :)

Car inspections–YUCK. Good luck!

21 spabettie July 10, 2012 at 8:08 am

aw, good old Elephants. hope you enjoyed our PERFECT weather over the 4th! :)

22 janetha [meals & moves] July 9, 2012 at 11:39 am

I need that savory plate of amazing in my life. Yum!

23 spabettie July 10, 2012 at 8:07 am

wish I could just Frisbee one to ya! ;)

24 Nichole July 9, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Anything involving the DMV blows. I am so sorry!! What a mess, just frustrating.

Is that a savory waffle? I had no idea! Waffle House could use some pointers!

25 spabettie July 10, 2012 at 8:07 am

I finally went to my first Waffle House recently, back in the Midwest. (we don’t have them here, GASP).

and yeah, I have always said the DMV should give incentives for the “number of people served”. same with post office. we’d all be happier with a quicker pace ;)

26 Julie Hasson July 9, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Sorry about your ticket, and car. I hope it passed DEQ with flying colors!

These waffles look so good! Now I have a reason to buy some Daiya Wedges, and give them a try. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

27 spabettie July 10, 2012 at 8:05 am

you’ll have to let me know how you like the Daiya – and thanks for alerting me to the sale, heading to New Seasons today! :D

28 Eden July 9, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I swear, cars are like babies sometimes (and I’m going to go ahead and let the mommy commenters yell at me that the above statement isn’t true.

Unrelated, my dad was Belgian so I always say my ass is “the ass waffles built”.

29 spabettie July 10, 2012 at 8:04 am

I’m glad mine isn’t like a baby, since I ignored it for 6 months ;)

30 lindsay July 9, 2012 at 6:01 pm

ahhh, story of my life. i feel ya. but i think this recipe would be such great comfort. xxoo

31 spabettie July 10, 2012 at 8:03 am

geez, Lindsay, I really couldn’t believe I let it go that long. (well, looking back at my January-March especially, yes I can!) ah, well, minor irritations, right? :)

32 Carol@simplygluten-free July 9, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Haha – I am so like you – things like registering the car take a backseat to other much more interesting stuff :) These look beautiful!

33 spabettie July 10, 2012 at 8:01 am

I don’t know WHY it happens EVERY time! ;) I always have the best intentions… I suppose you’re right, the much more interesting stuff gets in the way.

34 Barbara | Creative Culinary July 9, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I was just at an event a couple of weeks ago and the chef made herby, cheesy stuffed waffles. Then he used those waffles as the bun for a burger. They were OMG so good and now you do this. I am going to have to try this aren’t I; even without the burger!

I failed to get mine done on time because I broke my leg. When I go in with a cane months later to finally get it done after I can start driving again; you think those jerks could have maybe not charged me a $50 penalty for not getting them done on time?

We can all commiserate…just glad you didn’t injure yourself. :)

35 spabettie July 10, 2012 at 8:00 am

oh, yes – I used to make sandwiches with waffles – I need to do that again with these!

yikes, the “fixit ticket” I was given will be forgiven if I take care of this before a certain date, but he said there still will be a fee… I wonder if it’s that much? *sigh*

36 Amy Tong July 9, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Sorry you got pulled over….but I totally understand the delay on the registration thingy (I think we can be great friends!)

Oh, and these tomato stuffed waffles are amazing! What a nice surprised in them! Now, I need to get myself a waffle maker! Can’t believe I don’t even have one.

37 spabettie July 10, 2012 at 7:58 am

I couldn’t believe I let it go for so long – (normally it’s maybe a month…) ;) at least nobody else noticed until I was already on top of it, right? :)

38 Kay July 10, 2012 at 12:31 am

The waffles look amazing, yummy comfort food!

And good luck!

39 spabettie July 10, 2012 at 7:56 am

thank you! and yep, every now and then a situation requires comfort food, right? :)

40 Alessandra July 10, 2012 at 4:41 am

Yum, I have always wanted to get a waffle maker, and now I really must get one to try this out.

41 spabettie July 10, 2012 at 7:56 am

I love mine (rotating waffle maker), very easy to use and clean!

42 purelymichelle July 10, 2012 at 5:06 am

I was not as lucky at you, but got pulled over for expired tag. not fun, but lesson learned.

have fun and best of luck. and these waffles look wonderful.

43 spabettie July 10, 2012 at 7:50 am

at least I was pulled over by a nice guy – and the waffles made up for it ;)

44 marla July 10, 2012 at 8:35 am

Sooooo inventive!! Love these waffles :)

45 spabettie July 10, 2012 at 8:39 am

thank you Marla! hope you guys are having a fantastic summer! XO

46 Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt July 10, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I’ve never thought of savory waffles, but this sounds AND looks delicious!

47 spabettie July 10, 2012 at 7:47 pm

oh Erin, it IS. ;)

48 Richa@HobbyandMore July 11, 2012 at 9:41 am

these waffles are insane i tell you. savory is my middle name!
i do that pretty much every year. this year i passed the responsibility over to hubbs. he dutifully got the tags on time and then put the year tag on the month one :) and got pulled over the next day.. meh.. downtown cops.

49 spabettie July 11, 2012 at 10:34 pm

OF COURSE you were. *sigh* it’s like me going a full 6 months without being pulled over, then it happens the day I make the appointment with my mechanic.

waffles cure all irony, however. :D

50 Stephanie July 11, 2012 at 11:57 am

Totally how I roll, too. No pun intended—I’m currently in the throes of agony trying to convince the province of British Columbia to relinquish me from its tight fist and let me start coping with the province of Alberta: I waited too long to get it all started, and now I’m in hell having to make up for it. Arrrrrrrgh. Cheesy waffles would definitely help. And now that I have the idea of stuffed waffles on the brain, I’m going to start with the cheesy waffle…. and NEVER STOP!

51 spabettie July 11, 2012 at 10:22 pm

aaahhh, my dear friend it is so great to see you here again! see!? we can reconnnect and converse here!

and SIGH… my car situation is finally complete. I passed the emissions test the other day, and waited until today to get myself to the police station/city hall to take care of the ticket… standing in line with people dressed in their finest Court Clothes ;) it was an experience in itself. all done now!

make waffles! XXO

52 Javelin Warrior July 12, 2012 at 10:01 pm

On Fridays, I share my favorite food finds in a series called Food Fetish Friday – and I love this post so I’m featuring it as part of today’s roundup (with a link-back and attribution). I hope you have no objections and I’m happy to be following along with your creations…

53 spabettie July 15, 2012 at 10:09 pm

thank you so much for including me again, JW! It is an honor to be among such beautiful talent!

54 Mom Foodie July 13, 2012 at 6:43 am

Oh, geesh…now I’m going to HAVE to buy a waffle maker.
:P

55 spabettie July 15, 2012 at 10:01 pm

yep. you are. ;)

56 Theresa July 13, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Love the post about the tags. If my husband wasn’t up on that kinda thing, I would definitely take 6 months to get new ones. Ingenious recipes, sounds delicious.

57 spabettie July 15, 2012 at 9:52 pm

heh… happy to know I am not the only one ;) my car is FINALLY legal again!

58 Korin July 27, 2012 at 10:06 pm

wow, these look awesome. you are so creative!

59 Grandma Wrinkles August 18, 2012 at 1:50 pm

another awesome recipe – we make these just about every weekend nowadays, hubby and kids love these for lunches. when are you sharing the exotic ones you talked about the other day ;)

60 Laurie August 21, 2012 at 11:50 am

these are SO GOOD! I prepared them for our dinner last night, soup and all! kids loved them and so did hubby, I had another for breakfast LOL. great waffle recipe, they are perfect waffles.

61 Christine August 31, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Do you mean coconut milk from the can or coconut milk beverage (like the So Delicious brand refrigerated coconut milk drink)?

62 spabettie September 1, 2012 at 9:20 am

hi Christine! for this I used the carton coconut milk – thanks for asking, I updated the recipe to reflect :)

63 Corinne September 25, 2012 at 2:00 pm

the waffle recipe is a good one, my stuffing doesn’t look as pretty as yours though. I think I filled them too full of tomato maybe? tasty though, very tasty!