dark chocolate cherry galette

in baking,cherry season,Dessert,Gluten Free,recipes,summertime,Vegan

This is the first installment of Spabettie’s Summer of Cherriessimilar to Summer of George in no way at all.

Yesterday my new cherry pitter was my friend all afternoon. My hands are all red. I ate too many cherries. I still have two huge bowls in my fridge.

I made a batch of my easy gluten free and vegan pie crust, which then turned into individual galettes filled with a simple mixture of cherries and dark chocolate.

Every time I make this pie crust, I wonder why I was so intimidated by it. Really, it is easy if you have a little patience and trust that it will come together. It not only comes together, but it is a terrifically flaky pie crust that you would not guess is vegan or gluten free. Honestly.

What I have learned is to chill it, then work with it quickly right out of the fridge – have your fillings ready to go, so the dough does not dry out too much. If it does dry out, simply form a ball again (wet your hands to add moisture) and roll out again.

dark chocolate cherry galette

dairy, egg and gluten free, vegan

makes four individual galettes

40-50 fresh cherries, pitted
1/3 cup sugar, divided
juice of 1 lime
6 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
1 pie crust recipe (see below)
1/4 cup olive oil

Combine cherries with 2 tablespoons sugar and juice, stir until sugar is dissolved. Divide cherries and chocolate among 4 pies, arrange in the center of each pie (see directions below), leaving an inch border. Fold the border of crust up around filling, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350 for 27-32 minutes (check at 27).

easy gluten free and vegan pie crust

dairy, egg and gluten free, vegan

makes 4 individual galettes (or one single crust pie)

1 cup sweet rice flour
1 cup all purpose flour (gluten free)
1/2 cup cold butter (Earth Balance – not soy free)
1/4 – 1/2 cup cold water*

Combine flours and butter with dough cutter or fork. Add water gradually* – start with 1/4 cup and add by tablespoon after that until dough is forms. Knead and form a ball, wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Divide into four equal pieces and roll into small circles. Arrange on baking sheet lined in parchment or silpat.

Ahem. That last photo up there? Is what happens when you break off a tiny piece of the crust to “sample”. You tell yourself you’ll cover it with ice cream in photos. That crust sample is good. You have another. Then another piece comes off, and it has cherry juice and a smudge of chocolate on it. Soon you are thinking “there will be way too much ice cream in this photo to look normal” and end up eating the whole thing.

That was the last photo I took and it was so worth it.

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) July 12, 2012 at 5:20 am

MMMMM now I wish I had cherries for my oatmeal! Sometimes I really like those photos like the last one that shows a bite or pinch taken off. You know…how it really tends to look ;-)

2 spabettie July 12, 2012 at 1:58 pm

ha – yes, those photos are good… I just had to laugh at this one, it went too far. this was just too good to stop.

3 Nichole July 12, 2012 at 5:41 am

Ring my bell. I have been consuming cherries by the bucket. Depitting is a pain, but they are so good right now.

Mmm, this is like a chocolate covered cherry on crack!

4 spabettie July 12, 2012 at 1:57 pm

by the bucket –> that would be us. we had them for dessert last night, they were in breakfast today… I’ve been snacking on them all morning and Jason took a container to work for his staff meeting. cherries everywhere, do they multiply?

5 Allie July 12, 2012 at 5:47 am

Oh I was looking forward to this as soon as you mentioned hand pie/galette yesterday! And you don’t disappoint. Cherries AND chocolate in a mini-pie? And no canned cherry goo in site? I’ve never had much success with pie crusts and usually just buy the premade/refrigerated stuff (yeah, I know, lazy lazy), but this one seems doable.

6 spabettie July 12, 2012 at 1:56 pm

no canned goo – I thought of you, my friend! :D this one really does work – you have to have (just a bit) of patience with it, but if you keep adding small amounts of water, it WILL come together. flaky and GOOD.

7 Evan Thomas July 12, 2012 at 7:23 am

Yummmm. Cherries and chocolate just belong together. Somebody should invent a cherry that grows with chocolate inside of it is all I’m sayin’.

8 spabettie July 12, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I bet that would not be difficult at all. at all.

9 Jess July 12, 2012 at 7:33 am

Oh Em. Gee. My mouth is watering — that last pic of the gooey chocolately cherry bite? WANT. Please make this for me. haha

10 spabettie July 12, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I know, it was amazing. so simple, pretty quick (minus the cherry pitting) and just divine.

11 jobo July 12, 2012 at 7:39 am

a cherry pitter?! where does one find one ;-) I want this so bad!!! YUM!

12 spabettie July 12, 2012 at 1:53 pm

there were three different models at the local kitchen store (like a Williams Sonoma, in fact I’m sure they have them too!). I went right to the tool section and could not find one… because they were all up at the counter on display, of course! I love cherry season…

13 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 12, 2012 at 8:00 am

I will be right over with the coffee! YUM!

14 spabettie July 12, 2012 at 1:52 pm

oooh, I WISH! :D

15 Paige @ Running Around Normal July 12, 2012 at 8:12 am

I am in love with cherries right now!! I had some with breakfast :) This looks tasty!

16 spabettie July 12, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I know, I am too… we had some with breakfast also! ;)

17 Sarah July 12, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Ah-mazing. I’m linking this up on today’s post!

18 spabettie July 12, 2012 at 1:45 pm

can’t wait to see what you made!! :)

19 Geanna July 12, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Ohhhh, boy. Now I see what you’re talking about – chocolate + cherries= magic. This looks fabulous; I am really wishing I had some cherries right now I could make some too!

20 spabettie July 12, 2012 at 9:52 pm

you can sneak over in the dark of night and pick some of ours… I was out there this evening again, got another big bowl but there are TONS left :)

21 Geanna July 13, 2012 at 10:03 am

Ok, so is that considered stalking/stealing if I have your permission to trespass?! :) I might just pick up some cherries at the grocery store, just to be safe. :-D

22 spabettie July 15, 2012 at 9:57 pm

haa, okay. might raise some concern with the neighbors, I suppose. *sigh* ;)

23 Tracy @ Commit to Fit July 12, 2012 at 6:23 pm

These look so good. I can’t stop eating cherries either, yummy!

24 spabettie July 12, 2012 at 9:51 pm

we cannot stop!

25 Roxana GreenGirl {A little bit of everything} July 13, 2012 at 5:27 am

I’m loving all the cherry recipes I’m stumbling upon this days and your chocolate addition makes it even more irresistible!

26 spabettie July 15, 2012 at 10:08 pm

’tis the season! we are loving all of our cherries right now!

27 Cara July 13, 2012 at 6:29 am

I couldn’t resist sampling either – chocolate and cherries might be one of the best combos ever!

28 spabettie July 15, 2012 at 10:06 pm

right? surprised I stopped to even take a photo… ;)

29 Shirley @ gfe July 13, 2012 at 8:31 am

Haha on one little piece turning into another! I completely understand though … cherries and chocolate are a match made in heaven. Beautiful job, Kristina, and by the way, I’m impressed your oven (or cooling rack?) looks so pristine!

xo,
Shirley

30 spabettie July 15, 2012 at 9:59 pm

thank you, Shirley, that means a lot.

oh, and that is my cooling rack… NOT the oven! ;)

31 Kristy July 13, 2012 at 11:52 am

Those little galettes look so heavenly! Cherries AND dark chocolate?!?! I’m swooning!

32 spabettie July 15, 2012 at 9:56 pm

thank you Kristy! they were definitely a hit around here… I need to make more.

33 purelylori July 13, 2012 at 2:48 pm

never really had a galette before, I know call me crazy! but I would love to try yours as it looks heavenly! love chocolate and cherries together!

34 spabettie July 15, 2012 at 9:54 pm

this is the first galette I have made! I have had them in restaurants, don’t know why it took so long for me to make one!

35 Lindsay July 13, 2012 at 3:15 pm

this looks fantastic! my husband just picked up cherries and now i want to make this …if only i had time (new baby).

36 spabettie July 15, 2012 at 9:53 pm

congrats on the new baby! :D um… a premade dough? if you have that, the rest comes together very quickly! I wish I could make you some… :D

37 Kath (My Funny Little Life) July 13, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Mmmmmmm, cherry and choc is such a classic combination! :)

38 spabettie July 15, 2012 at 9:51 pm

I know, I want to make more of these!

39 Amy Tong July 14, 2012 at 8:30 pm

these rustic treats look wonderful. Can’t wait to try them. I really love the cherry and dark chocolate combination!

40 spabettie July 15, 2012 at 9:43 pm

thank you, Amy! cherries and dark chocolate just go together, right?

41 jen July 15, 2012 at 8:35 pm

looks so good- In addition to being gf my son is allergic to soy (and eggs, corn, natural flavor, citrus .. )why can’t we use Earth Balance soy free? That’s our “butter” of choice. Do you have another suggestion? How about coconut based shortening? Thanks!

42 spabettie July 15, 2012 at 9:19 pm

hi Jen!

the soy free version of EB is my butter of choice as well.

I have made this pie dough several times, and it always works with ‘regular’ EB. The first time I tried with the soy free, it did not (it was also my first time making THIS recipe, so perhaps I was not as patient with it yet (a very good chance, that), since you do have to work just a bit to get it to come together. you could try with the soy free, I just figured for some reason that version did not work, and had not tried it a second time.

I have made this with a vegan shortening also, but it was made with palm oil (Spectrum Organics).

I hope this helps, and I would love to hear your result if you do make this.

Thank you!! Kristina

43 Holly July 18, 2012 at 11:38 pm

which dark chocolate do you use please?

44 spabettie July 20, 2012 at 7:57 am

hi Holly,

it varies, usually the Endangered Species brand bars, (the one I prefer has the bat on the label) but I usually stock up on bars as they are on sale. I do buy dark chocolate chips also, and baking chocolate from my local baking/pastry shop.

45 Hiral Shah July 19, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Hi Spabettie,

I ran across your website while searching for juicing recipes for my 3 days Reboot detox and OH MY – your pictures of the food you make looks delicious! I went through about 10 different items at work and my mouth is watering! Can’t wait to try our your juice and other yummy recipes!

Thanks!
Hiral

46 spabettie July 20, 2012 at 7:38 am

hello Hiral,

very good to “meet” you, thank you for the kind note. I hope you have a successful (and easy) Reboot, and enjoy some tasty juice. I’d love to know which recipes you enjoy, thank you again and take care!

Kristina