Blossoming Lotus, revisited

in Gluten Free,Portland,restaurants,Vegan

My friend Carrie is visiting Portland right now, and Friday we enjoyed dinner at Blossoming Lotus.

One of my favorite restaurants in Portland that I visit frequently – you may remember our Valentines Dinner this year, and the Summers End event with Blossoming Lotus Chef Wes Hannah. I also have a new perspective after taking classes from the founding chef, and this was my first visit since completing the course last month.

Carrie started with an all greens juice (no photo) and I chose a booster shot – ginger, lemon cayenne:

I loved this! Extremely spicy, this is called the “flu fighter”. While I am not feeling under the weather, I chose this one for the flavors. Definitely has a spicy kick.

Carrie ordered the Live Falafel Wrap, one of my favorites. The falafel is made with walnuts and brazil nuts, and is wrapped in collard leaves with tahini pate, cucumber, onion and tomato, and served with cashew cream.

My choice was on the specials menu, a Cauliflower Purse. This was served over dandelion greens, seasonal vegetables and beans with rich spicy flavors. I loved it.

For dessert, Carrie and I shared the Live Berry Cheesecake – oh my.

This was amazing. Perfectly fluffy and creamy and just the right level of sweetness. The wonderful consistency of this dessert is inspiring me to get back in the kitchen and try more variations on a raw cheesecake. I just ordered a new ingredient I am looking forward to playing with.

While I did not take photos of Carries eats (I don’t know why, she was taking photos as well!), I eat at Blossoming Lotus often enough that I do have other photos to share, including the falafel that Carrie enjoyed:

Another dish I order often – the Tofu & Greens Bowl- wok tossed tofu and seasonal greens, with sweet bell peppers, shiitake mushrooms, butternut squash, and a sweet tamari glaze, served over your choice of brown rice or quinoa.

So very good.

As always, Blossoming Lotus comes through with the fresh and vibrant flavors. I’m happy to have shared this place with a friend who I know would appreciate it – she was talking about visiting for brunch and another dinner before she leaves!

Blossoming Lotus on Urbanspoon

1 Nikki July 22, 2012 at 3:46 pm

BL is such a treasure. I’m always thrilled with the flavors, even when I order the most simple bowl of greens. The falafel wrap is something I’ve ordered time and time again. How fun to visit after taking one of the classes :)

2 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 11:52 am

hi Nikki! I agree, everything on the menu has amazing bright flavor – I love it all and could eat there every day. The vegan fusion immersion was the best time I have spent in a long time – after so many days of learning and eating this amazing food, I miss it!

3 Geanna July 22, 2012 at 7:53 pm

You’re reminding me just how much I love that restaurant – and how little I’ve been there in the past year. Now that I live within 1 1/2 miles of it, I need to remedy that!! And, that reminds me that we had made tentative plans to have a meal there at some point! Let’s plan that for real this time! :)

4 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 11:51 am

yes, Geanna, lets plan it soon, I’d love to catch up! XO

5 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) July 22, 2012 at 9:02 pm

This sounds like an amazing. Next time we head down to Portland I want to go for dinner! Funny coincidence – there was an upscale Vegan restaurant called Blossoming Lotus on Kauai when we went for our Honeymoon.

6 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 11:50 am

yes, Alyssa! it is the same place – the chef I took the vegan fusion classes from founded the one on Kauai, then the one here in Portland! did you eat there while on your honeymoon?

7 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) July 23, 2012 at 9:45 pm

No way!! Yes, we did and loved it :)

8 spabettie July 25, 2012 at 11:54 am

that is so awesome, I wish I could have made it there before they closed. Portland is the only one for now, but Mark (founding chef) does talk about opening something again in Hawaii.

9 hihorosie July 22, 2012 at 10:00 pm

One of my favorite places! yum! I need to REVISIT too. :)

10 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 11:48 am

I know… I could eat here every day. and HELLO! how are you!? :)

11 hihorosie July 23, 2012 at 10:27 pm

heh heh…I’ve been a horrible commenter lately but an excellent lurker! Thankfully, I’m subscribed to your blog so I can keep up. :D

12 Kristy July 23, 2012 at 11:05 am

Wow! This place looks great! I’m putting it on my list of places to try when we go up for Vida Vegan Con. Thank you!

13 spabettie July 23, 2012 at 11:34 am

yes, you absolutely must visit! I look forward to meeting you at VVC – yay!

14 Carrie (Carrie on Vegan) July 23, 2012 at 7:49 pm

You probably didn’t get a picture of my food because I was eating it too fast!!! :) So enjoyed seeing you, Kristina, but next time we better each get our own desserts. :)

15 spabettie July 25, 2012 at 11:59 am

Mmm, so glad we were able to go there! Jason and I talked about going this weekend :) SO GOOD to see you again, Carrie… I’ll look into Seattle, perhaps I will see you there. I’ll be in touch soon and send that thing via email ;)