rest in peace, sweet Missy cat

in real life wisdom

my dad’s beloved cat Missy passed last night.

recently, she was just as much (if not more) my brother’s cat.

we have all loved Missy for many many years – she lived a long happy life, a well loved life.

my brother moved in with my dad several months ago (such a tremendous help and feeling of peace that has been!), and immediately bonded with Missy, one of three cats at my dad’s place. he took her to be groomed – a much needed and way overdue event – and since then Missy had been more lively and simply adored him. I was watching a different person when I would see him with her <3

sincerely heart-wrenching news, Missy had a very large cancerous abdominal tumor.

I could not make this decision alone, could barely formulate the text to dad (still has a trach, cannot talk).

via text, the three of us agreed on what was best for sweet Missy cat.

she was brought in to us – we held her, talked to her, said our goodbyes.

heart. wrenching.

and then we just held her…

sweet sweet Missy cat. you will be greatly missed. you are so so very loved.

rest in peace, beautiful kitty. sweet beautiful girl.

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) July 25, 2012 at 5:20 am

Oh girl I am so sorry. This just breaks my heart and reminds me of the first time I had to make that decision. You’re just never prepared. My first Cocker Spaniel got suddenly sick and she had a large tumor on her liver. They didn’t know if she would even survive surgery. Hardest day ever so I feel your pain and am so sorry for you and your family’s loss.

2 spabettie July 25, 2012 at 11:36 am

thank you Heather. that is what they said about Missy – she was very frail and most likely would not survive the surgery even if it was an option. She lived a good long life, but wow, she will be greatly missed. sweetest cat.

3 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 25, 2012 at 5:22 am

So, so sorry to hear about Missy. I remember having to put down my childhood cat like it was yesterday. Such a sweet soul… I still think of her all the time.

Lots of hugs your way.

4 spabettie July 25, 2012 at 11:35 am

thank you, Laura. I imagine this is something that you do not forget. We have the good memories though, right? Hugs back.

5 Abby July 25, 2012 at 5:26 am

I’m so sorry, my friend. I’ve been there and done that and it’s simply heart-wrenching for everyone involved. But you also have the sense of peace that she’s no longer in pain, that she went quietly surrounded by the people she loved that loved her so much. It’s sad, but it’s also a blessing. You were lucky to have her furry little soul in your life ;)

6 spabettie July 25, 2012 at 11:34 am

thank you, Abby, I really appreciate that. we were all very lucky – she was such a gentle sweetie. and I know it is for the best, and she is no longer suffering, but wow it is so hard.

7 Amanda July 25, 2012 at 6:32 am

I am so sorry for your loss. It’s such an incredibly difficult decision to make, but I think your family did the right thing in that Missy didn’t suffer unnecessarily. One of my cats from childhood (Maggie) passed away this past year due to intestinal cancer, so I feel your pain. It’s like losing a family member. Sending lots of positive thoughts your way…

8 spabettie July 25, 2012 at 11:32 am

I’m so sorry to hear about your Maggie – it is absolutely like losing a family member – they are so important to us, and when they are gone the loss is huge. thank you for your kind words, Amanda – your positive thoughts are appreciated.

9 Nichole July 25, 2012 at 6:38 am

Always heartbreaking losing a family pet. Sorry for this loss! :(

10 spabettie July 25, 2012 at 11:30 am

thanks, Nichole – very sad day.

11 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 25, 2012 at 6:54 am

This makes me incredibly sad. I’m really so sorry for your family’s loss. My thoughts are with you all! xoxo

12 spabettie July 25, 2012 at 11:30 am

thank you, sweetie – I appreciate that so much.

13 jobo July 25, 2012 at 7:17 am

oh my goodness, I just about lost it reading this. I had a bad feeling this was the case after your last note on Facebook last night. so very sad, I LOVE my cats as if they are my children (let’s face it, our pets ARE our children!) and having to make that decision has to be one of the hardest. I thought I would be faced with it a year or so ago when one of mine fell mysteriously ill and just THINKING about making that decision and thankfully, she pulled out of it, was so very very hard. I too remember my old cat, childhood cat, and my mom having to make that decision so we would not have to. You did a very good thing for your dad, and Missy, in bringing her back to happiness. XOXOXO.

14 spabettie July 25, 2012 at 11:30 am

thank you, friend… I keep losing it, randomly all day. I cannot imagine having to face a decision like that with Basil, no way. I know this was the best thing for her, and she is no longer in pain. :(

15 Jess July 25, 2012 at 7:18 am

Oh friend, I am so so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute to a very loved little kitty. I am so sad for you and your family :( xoxoxo

16 spabettie July 25, 2012 at 11:27 am

thank you, friend. she was such a little sweetie. my brother is devastated, and that makes me just as sad.

17 Loanna Overcash July 25, 2012 at 7:35 am

I am very sorry for your loss. Thinking of your family.

18 spabettie July 25, 2012 at 11:26 am

thank you so much, Loanna.

19 Lisa Eirene July 25, 2012 at 8:53 am

I am so sorry!! I cannot imagine the hard decision you had to make and how sad your family feels. My kitties are my babies. And several friends recently had to put their beloved dogs down. It’s so heart breaking. :(

20 spabettie July 25, 2012 at 11:26 am

thanks, Lisa – I know you love your kitties. I cannot even imagine having to go through this with Basil.

21 KCLAnderson (Karen) July 25, 2012 at 9:36 am

Oh, I am so very sorry! I’ve had to do this and it is the hardest thing EVER! But it is also kind…they say we take our pets’ pain and make it our own. RIP sweet girl!

22 spabettie July 25, 2012 at 11:25 am

Thank you, Karen. I know it was the right thing for her, and we knew it was inevitably close. So incredibly difficult though.

23 purelymichelle July 25, 2012 at 1:08 pm

so sorry to hear about Missy, never easy a pet :(

24 spabettie July 27, 2012 at 11:14 am

thanks, Michelle. :(

25 Kathy Patalsky July 25, 2012 at 1:22 pm

so sorry about Missy. I’m glad she lived a long happy life with a loving family. I guess that is all any of us (furry or not) can ask for. xoxo

26 spabettie July 27, 2012 at 11:13 am

thank you, Kathy, I appreciate that. yes, I believe she had a long and happy life. she so loved my brother, and he took such great care of her!

27 Heather @ Better With Veggies July 25, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I’m so sorry to hear this, I can’t imagine. Saying a prayer for you now! :(

28 spabettie July 27, 2012 at 11:12 am

thank you, Heather!

29 Carbzilla July 25, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I’m so sorry for the loss of Missy. This is exactly what happened to our cat Mia. She’d been sleeping a lot but we thought nothing of it. She hated to be held so we never did it. We took her to emergency care one night, and they found the tumor immediately. It was so shocking and sad. My husband went into full denial and thought we could just take her home. I gave them extra time to say goodbye.

Big hugs to you and your family.

30 spabettie July 27, 2012 at 11:12 am

I know… my brother and I had a feeling something was up, but neither one of us could voice it. my sweet brother had been carrying her to her water dish, food dish, and while she was still drinking, when she stopped eating we took her in. the cancer was big. :( we sat with her for a long time before – it was good. so very very hard, such a sad night.

thank you SO MUCH, T. I appreciate it, and big hugs back to you!

31 Eleah July 25, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Sorry to hear about your families sweet cat. Losing a pet is never easy. Best wishes going your way!

32 spabettie July 27, 2012 at 11:08 am

thank you, Eleah – it is so difficult. I appreciate your good wishes.

33 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) July 25, 2012 at 10:06 pm

I am so sorry to hear about Missy. Making this decision for a pet is so unbelievably difficult, even when you know it is the best thing for them. Heart-breaking :(

34 spabettie July 27, 2012 at 11:08 am

thank you, Alyssa, I appreciate it. so very hard – it’s been a sad week around here.

35 Hilary July 25, 2012 at 10:29 pm

sorry honey

36 spabettie July 27, 2012 at 11:06 am

thank you dear.

37 Carol July 26, 2012 at 1:00 am

sorry, Kristina. you really have had a rough year, I know, and this is never easy. I pray for a break for your dad and you.

38 spabettie July 27, 2012 at 11:06 am

thank you for that, Carol. I appreciate it so much.

39 Zach July 26, 2012 at 2:57 am

so sorry for your familys loss, you will be in my thoughts even more!

40 spabettie July 27, 2012 at 11:04 am

thank you Zach!

41 natalie@thesweetslife July 26, 2012 at 6:17 am

catching up on blogs and so sorry to read this! hope you guys are doing okay!

42 spabettie July 27, 2012 at 11:01 am

thank you Natalie, I appreciate that… :( been a rough week.

43 Allie July 26, 2012 at 7:18 am

I’m so sorry to hear this! Losing a pet is never easy, they really are family! At least you know you and your family gave her an amazing cat-life, I bet she enjoyed every minute of it.

44 spabettie July 27, 2012 at 10:59 am

they are family… and she was such a sweetie. we all miss her.

45 Kath July 26, 2012 at 9:37 am

46 Gerri Konditeri July 26, 2012 at 8:05 pm

so sorry ):

47 spabettie July 27, 2012 at 10:53 am

48 CL July 27, 2012 at 5:57 pm

sorry, rest in peace Missy

49 Lou July 27, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I am so sorry <3

50 Korin July 28, 2012 at 5:34 pm

so sorry for your family loss, Kristina, pets are family.

51 Scot August 1, 2012 at 7:30 am