cherry basil infused water

in cherry season,summertime

I try to drink a good amount of water each day, some days are better than others. Infusing water with natural flavors elevates it to a refreshing and pretty beverage.

On days I am home, I make a large pitcher and drink it all day. On days I am out of the house, I bring a large jar or bottle with me. My standard add ins are lemon or whatever citrus I have on hand, or mint. In the summertime especially, mint is cooling.

In class last month, one thing all us students looked forward to was the water of the day. Each day a new flavor was infused into our water pitchers, usually from fresh herbs.

One of my favorites from class was fresh basil – it brings great flavor to a glass of water!

Today I discovered that basil and cherries pair well together – the pitcher of water we are enjoying today includes chiffonaded basil and frozen cherries. Being frozen, the cherries cool the water while the basil flavors it.

Today’s motivation to drink water? A cherry snack at the end!

Cheers!

1 RecipeNewZ July 29, 2012 at 2:49 pm

How elegant and pure! Love it! Thanks for sharing! Hope you are enjoying your Sunday :-)

2 spabettie July 30, 2012 at 9:43 am

thank you – hope your weekend was a great one too!

3 Abby July 29, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I drink a ridiculous amount of water and always have a huge water bottle with me. Seriously. I never go anywhere without it. And while I like it plain and boring, the salon that I used to go to would bring us glasses of water with slices of cucumber. It was so refreshing and crisp–very fancy!

4 spabettie July 30, 2012 at 9:43 am

I love that – my spas always had water too, and I liked changing the flavors. some of my regular clients and patients would anticipate the water – cucumber is a classic spa water!

5 j3nn July 29, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I can’t imagine how basil tastes in water. I love water; I love basil… I don’t know if I’ll love them together! Cherries? Def. :)

6 spabettie July 30, 2012 at 9:41 am

you should try it – it’s one of my favorites! the cherries didn’t really flavor the water too much, the fact that they were frozen helped cool the water, then they were a good snack while drinking the water! ;)

7 Jess July 29, 2012 at 5:25 pm

YUM! what an awesome combo!! I LOVE to infuse water with fresh fruit and citrus, especially in the summer! so refreshing!!

8 spabettie July 30, 2012 at 9:40 am

the cherries turned the water red after a while… but it still mostly tasted like basil! the cherries were just good to eat while enjoying your water… ;)

9 lindsay July 29, 2012 at 5:59 pm

i’m kinda obsessed with everything basil. Yep, and basil watermelon!

10 spabettie July 30, 2012 at 9:38 am

I’m kinda obsessed with all things Basil too ;)

11 Christa @ Edible Balance July 30, 2012 at 5:27 am

such a fabulous, refreshing idea! I keep forgetting to mix things up a bit with water… definitely doing this today, so simple :)

12 spabettie July 30, 2012 at 9:37 am

when I am juicing in the morning, I’ll cut up an extra orange or some herbs, adding it to water so I have it all day! it’s becoming a delicious habit now. :D enjoy!

13 jobo July 30, 2012 at 8:38 am

This is an awesome combo!!! I would want to eat the cherries out of the water after tho hehe!

14 spabettie July 30, 2012 at 9:28 am

that is exactly what we did… ;)

15 Nelson July 30, 2012 at 9:45 am

Ive never thought of using black cherries before for the ideas of infused waters! Its great stumbling across all of these new ideas and takes on water!

I did also find this how-to video that gave some more ideas! check it out!

16 Nelson July 30, 2012 at 9:47 am

I did also find this how-to video that gave some more ideas! check it out!

17 Shirley @ gluten free easily July 30, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Oooh, I love this idea, Kristina! So simple and elegant, and definitely a tasty way to get in one’s water for the day. :-) One does not usually get such an immediate reward for drinking one’s water. ;-)

xo,
Shirley

18 dorry July 30, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I’m loving infused water this summer! cucumber is always a refreshing favorite, and I love mint as well – for the cooling factors. I had to get used to that one because mint reminds me of Christmastime! anyway, this combination sounds divine. I need a cherry tree!

19 Kath (My Funny Little Life) August 3, 2012 at 4:37 am

Wow, this is the prettiest thing! I want this! Now now now! I guess I have to make it! ;)

20 spabettie August 3, 2012 at 9:36 am