perfect cherry pancakes

in Breakfast,cherry season,Dessert,Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan

perfect cherry pancakes

I want the Olympics to be year round.

Not very viable, right? I wish they lasted longer, anyway.

I have been glued to the television. Tennis has me on the edge of my seat and makes me want to play again. Beach volleyball, same. Swimming is exciting and I wish I knew how (yeah, really. Long story). Archery reminds me of 7th grade PE class (I was good!). Fencing is just awesome. Awesome.

vegan cherry pancakes

All of it has been motivating for me – energizing my workouts and my whole day. I miss the camaraderie of being involved in team sports, it has been years and years. I am inspired by the passion and the drive, and I have been moved to tears (not just from the medal ceremonies and the “mom commercials”).

I celebrate every athlete, from every country. I want to make them pancakes.

Perfect fluffy pancakes with cherries from my tree. These could get a medal.

gluten free pancakes

cherry pancakes

adapted from spinach pancakes

dairy, egg, soy, and gluten free, vegan

makes 8 medium pancakes

1 cup fresh cherries, pitted*
1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup agave (or sweetener of choice)

*cherries will be less than 1 cup when puréed.

In blender, purée cherries until smooth. In mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and xanthan gum, stirring out clumps. Whisk in the cherry puree, water and agave, combine completely. Using a 1/4 cup measure, scoop batter onto an oiled skillet over medium low heat. Pancakes will not bubble, flip after a minute or so and cook other side (less than another minute).

perfect cherry pancakes

Have you been watching the Olympics? What is your favorite event?

1 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit August 3, 2012 at 6:02 am

Every time I come to visit you have something cherry. I like it! I’ve been putting cherries on everything lately. Just made cherry muffins yesterday… also obsessed with muffins right now, do idea why. Gluten-free, vegan, muffins. I have over 2 dozen sitting in my freezer, ah!

I’m with you on the Olympics. I just sit in front of the TV and marvel at the gloriousness. You’re right, they should be longer!

2 spabettie August 3, 2012 at 9:35 am

did you see my cherry muffins? I am totally flipping out over them. ;) (which will probably lead to a similar muffin obsession!). Olympics! even before I start my juice each morning, the television comes on and I’m flipping through all the games channels, looking for the best thing to start with! :D

3 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit August 4, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Oh my, I did not… but I’m going to go hunt for them now :) I’ve been watching swimming all day.

4 Jess August 3, 2012 at 6:17 am

Holy yum! I bet the Olympic athletes would seriously kiss you if you made them a batch of these bad boys! They look incredible, love the pretty pink color! :)

PS I love the Olympics too, could totally watch them year round!!

5 spabettie August 3, 2012 at 9:33 am

isn’t the color fun? :D yay, another vote for year round Olympics!

6 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 3, 2012 at 6:32 am

I have only seen swimming. We rarely watch tv and so it’s just not on. I see you finally got the pink food you were looking for! These look amazingly delicious, light and fluffy!

7 spabettie August 3, 2012 at 9:32 am

yes, finally got the pink! those cookies were a bust. I ate the chips out of them and completely redid the recipe. ;)

8 Heather (Where's the Beach) August 3, 2012 at 6:42 am

I am so glad I have typically just finished breakfast when I read your posts or I might just lick the screen. Seriously need to post some flops LOL. Those sound fantastic and super easy. I have all ingredients minus cherries….I’ve been watching the olympics here and there – gymnastics (women’s) is kind of the only one I’ve ever cared about before. But this year, I think the running will be more intriguing to me.

9 spabettie August 3, 2012 at 9:32 am

okay, okay… I DO have a flop. perhaps I’ll share ;) I love all the sports, even if I cannot do them!

10 Allie August 3, 2012 at 6:48 am

Haha, I was already thinking of making some beet pancakes to accompany my green pancakes (yup, I posted–sort of–about pancakes today, too) so I could have Christmassy pancakes in August–but cherry sounds like a way tastier way to get color than beets :D

11 spabettie August 3, 2012 at 9:30 am

tastier, yes, but beets give a fantastic pink color! I have made beautiful fuchsia frosting with beets :D

12 Averie @ Averie Cooks August 3, 2012 at 7:03 am

Oh what a perfect stack! Love the pour shot with the syrup. I so wish I could get my tripod out to deal with that (or have Scott know what the words Pour, Slowly!!..mean :))

13 spabettie August 3, 2012 at 9:28 am

yes, not all the pours go well ;)

14 Robin August 3, 2012 at 11:12 am

Yum! I made your spinach pancakes last night, by the way. Very good!

The Olympics are so fun to watch. I love it all.

15 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 9:49 am

so happy to hear this, Robin – glad you like them!

16 Eileen August 3, 2012 at 11:52 am

OMG, those pancakes are SO PINK! My 7-y.o.niece would flip out over these for sure. :)

17 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 9:49 am

aren’t they fun? I love bright colors in food :)

18 jobo August 3, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Another recipe I want to make!! I just wish I had an endless supply of cherries because the thought of using them and baking with them means I’d have to give some up! LOL! But I want to try these! and I love the olympics! so motivating!

19 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 9:49 am

I know, we had so many cherries but still lost a lot because we couldn’t reach them!! next year I will need to plan better, and rent one of those big CHERRY PICKER machines if I have to! ;)

20 Heather @ Better With Veggies August 3, 2012 at 1:02 pm

These look so good!! I am really picky about cherry foods, but this one sounds like my cup of tea.

And it’s wierd, but I really haven’t watched nearly as much olympics as I expected. It seems like I never have time to sit down and watch TV recently, maybe this weekend I can get back into it. :)

21 Gabby @ the veggie nook August 3, 2012 at 1:58 pm

These sound just amazing!! I am obsessed with cherries right now so the thought of putting them IN pancakes instead of just on TOP is pretty much the best idea since sliced bread.

22 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 9:48 am

I thought so too – I love when my food is brightly colored :)

23 purelymichelle August 3, 2012 at 2:00 pm

These look perfect to me!

24 Jeanette August 3, 2012 at 8:13 pm

What a fun idea – I love the color of these (just like your spinach pancakes)!

25 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 9:46 am

thanks, Jeanette! fun colors, right?

26 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy August 4, 2012 at 10:15 am

wow those look AMAZINGGGGG! totally craving these right now:)

27 Tommy August 4, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I cannot tell a lie, these DO look perfect.

28 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 9:45 am

haaaa leave it to you. thanks for that ;)

29 Asmita August 5, 2012 at 8:17 pm

These really do look perfect!

30 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning August 6, 2012 at 9:54 am

Ahhh… they’re almost too pretty to eat!! But sound amazing! I will have to go BUY some cherries (since I can’t just go PICK them!). I’d love to try this with a bunch of other fruits- namely peaches and pineapples!
I love watching many events on the Olympics- like the same ones that most people do: gymnastics, swimming, running, etc. What I don’t like? Tennis. And I know that’s an unpopular thing to say.
What I REALLY love to watch is power-lifting, but I can never seem to find it on until it’s almost over!

31 spabettie August 7, 2012 at 9:40 am

that’s okay, I’m watching enough tennis for the both of us ;) and peaches work with this recipe, I have done it :D

32 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner August 28, 2012 at 8:59 pm

What a great recipe! Thanks for sharing it! :D

33 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 3:02 pm

you are so welcome, Kathleen!

34 Steph September 2, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I’m so excited to make these!! I love cherries, I love pancakes….perfect!

35 spabettie September 4, 2012 at 9:57 am

thanks, Steph – I hope you enjoy them!

36 Michelle December 22, 2012 at 3:52 am

Wow! My daughter asked for cherry pancakes for Christmas breakfast (we live in Australia so cherries are in season) so I googled & came across your recipe. I was going to alter the recipe & sub what I needed to since we are dairy, egg & gluten-free but I almost fell off my chair when I realised that your recipe is all of these things already!! Thank you!! Will definitely be making my little girls pink pancakes for Christmas morning :)

37 Kristina Sloggett December 23, 2012 at 10:54 pm

I am so happy you found me! these pancakes are one of my favorites, and I cannot wait for more fresh cherries next summer! I love the bright red color as well – happy holidays to you all – enjoy!