peas and crayons

in Guest Posts

and deployments and homecomings.

My friend Jenn is currently enjoying her first few days of having her pilot back home, after his first seven month deployment. I go sideways when Jason has to leave for a week, flying just a few states away… I cannot even begin to imagine months and months on end. I greatly admire Jenn and her strength this last year.

The other side of Jenn is that she is super fun. When I have needed a laugh or a distraction, she is there with a fun email or chat. I talk more about the fun shenanigans on her site today – she is taking time off and asked me to guest post for her today.

Go visit Jenn, say hello! Basil is over there, too…

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) August 28, 2012 at 7:53 am

I just can’t imagine that much time apart either. I have friends with husbands in the military and I just can’t comprehend.

2 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I know – it would be a difficult life. I like having Jason around too much! :)

3 Carolina August 28, 2012 at 10:10 am

nice roundup, thanks.

4 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 3:23 pm

thank you, dear! ;)

5 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons August 28, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I love you and your guest post so so much dahhhling! <3 Thanks for bailing me out during the cah-raziest time of my life!

6 Elle August 28, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I NEED some of that spicy peanut soup.. and will be making it. Not sure about the soy curls though? Have never seen them… brand? Are they gluten-free… perhaps I should just go with the chickpeas.

And… is that just soup poured over raw kale topped with raw cashews? That looks so awesome!

The guest post was great.. nice of you to do that for a good friend.

7 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 3:07 pm

the brand that makes soy curls is Butler, and they are gluten free, they are from Eugene Oregon. I think they are becoming more well known, not sure if they are up North yet? I have used chickpeas many times, just as good! and yes – just raw kale, cashews… sometimes I add quinoa or brown rice. YUM – it’s one of our standards in the fall and winter…

8 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 29, 2012 at 4:33 am

I could not imagine Tony being gone for that long either. He was once gone for a month and I thought I was going to lose it by the time it was over. Jenn is truly a sweetheart and I do believe that surrounding yourself with great friends does help you get through the hard times.

9 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 3:02 pm

The longest Jason has been gone is … a week? I think? Last year he traveled a lot, he logged over 100 flights. He is traveling less now, which makes BOTH of us happy… wait, makes ALL of us happy (Basil too…)