cheesy roasted hasselback tomatoes

in appetizers,Dinner,Gluten Free,recipes,summertime,Vegan

cheesy hasselback tomatoes over brown butter quinoa

I have a crazy mixed emotion thing going on right now. I am loving Portland’s summer this year, it has been nearly perfect.

You might know that autumn is my favorite time of year, for several reasons. I am happily looking forward to the fall months here, something Portland also does consistently well.

However…

cheesy roasted heirloom tomatoes

I am already excited for SPRING 2013. Yes. Incredibly excited.

See, we bought the new house, moved and were very very busy this year. We moved in the spring, travel and vacations and events and moving all got in the way of a garden this year. Yeah, I toyed with the idea of a couple small pots just for fresh herbs! maybe one roma tomato! well, then I wanted zucchini. and spinach, just a few carrots…

cheesy roasted tomatoes over brown butter quinoa

…so I told myself to wait until next year. I have enjoyed some freshness from my mom’s garden, when she brings large branches of basil that make the whole downstairs of our house smell fantastic.

I have enjoyed the amazingness that is Portland’s Farmers Markets, and I have bought heirloom tomatoes all season long. I cannot get enough – the flavor is out of this world, and I cannot begin to describe it honorably.

Many of these heirlooms are eaten as is – yes, like an apple. I have sliced them onto sandwiches, I have made them into simple fresh salads.

Then I hassselbacked them.

roasted hasselback heirloom tomatoes

Instead of the traditional potato, I accordion cut two of the most beautiful heirloom tomatoes, hasselback style. I tucked pieces of my favorite cheddar inside, and warmed them in the oven.

If that was not enough, I then served them atop a fluffy brown butter quinoa, and topped it all with some fresh fragrant basil.

cheesy roasted hasselback tomatoes

cheesy roasted hasselback tomatoes

dairy, soy and gluten free, vegan

serves two

2 large heirloom tomatoes
2-3 ounces cheddar cheese (I used this – vegan)
handful fresh basil leaves, chiffonaded
2 servings quinoa

Cut around top of tomato to remove the stem. Make several vertical slices through tomato, stopping before reaching bottom (3/4 through). Slice cheddar into pieces to fit into each pocket of the tomato. Place on baking sheet and roast in 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes, until cheese is melted and tomatoes are softened. Serve atop quinoa, sprinkle with basil.

Do you have a garden? Are you a fan of the heirloom vegetables?

Becky talks about what heirloom actually means – a great read.

1 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 30, 2012 at 5:35 am

I would have never thought to hassleback a tomato! It’s like pizza quinoa. You’re too damn cool.

2 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 2:19 pm

hee, why thank you Laura! :)

3 Carolina August 30, 2012 at 5:48 am

these are gorgeous!!

4 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 2:18 pm

thank you Carolina!

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) August 30, 2012 at 6:02 am

Oh my those look amazing. My garden didn’t do so well. I did get some tomatoes, but not many – some little bitty orange ones Jason picked up. I had something eating my tomatoes and Japanese eggplants. GRRRRR

6 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 2:17 pm

oh no – better luck next year? we had some critters enjoying our gardens at the old place… but there’s really no way to control them there, we had such an expanse and wanted to keep it open.

7 Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family August 30, 2012 at 6:26 am

I do have my own garden and love it (13 raised beds and we created an edible front yard).
So many delicious things came out of it this year. With plenty of tomatoes on hand (and yes they are heirloom) I will have to give recipe a try. It is simple and looks just delicious!

8 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 2:16 pm

wow, your garden sounds amazing – I love the “edible front yard” – so cool! it is so exciting and satisfying, gratifying, to grow and eat your food… I hope you do try these, Rachel – yes, so simple, which is often the best!

9 RavieNomNoms August 30, 2012 at 6:31 am

Oh my!! Look at that cheesy goodness! It is kind of like a grilled cheese but, not haha

10 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 2:14 pm

hey, I like that… it IS close! you know, I thought of adding some breadcrumbs to the top, also… then it really would be!

11 Ashley F. August 30, 2012 at 6:54 am

I have never hasselbacked anything before, but this dish is all of my favorite things wrapped into one!

I’m also looking forward to next spring, but mostly because of VVC! :)

12 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 2:13 pm

yeeeee! I know, I am so SO very excited, can’t wait to meet you! (huh? what? we were talking about tomatoes? what?) WEEEEE!

13 Nichole August 30, 2012 at 6:58 am

You had me at cheddar!

14 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I know, right? :D how are you, Mama?

15 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy August 30, 2012 at 9:16 am

oh my gosh how creative!! i LOVE hasselback potatoes, i bet a tomato is delicious too! and with that sauce – yuM!!!

16 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 2:10 pm

thanks, yes these were SO delicious!

17 Allie August 30, 2012 at 9:32 am

This is kinda the best idea ever. I dislike potatoes. I love tomatoes. I’ve always wanted to hasselback something (Yup, making it a verb). And I can’t wait to see your garden next year!

18 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I know. after these tomatoes, we made a list of things to hasselback;)

19 Tommy August 30, 2012 at 9:56 am

you’re making my heart skip and my stomach growl! these are the most beautiful treat I have ever seen! M and I can come help with your garden next spring, if you make us this!

20 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 2:02 pm

oooh, I would LOVE that. you guys would love Love LOVE what I’m thinking about doing. and we would love to have you here!

21 natalie@thesweetslife August 30, 2012 at 10:01 am

I love that “hasselbacked” is a verb ;)

22 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 2:02 pm

it is!

23 jobo August 30, 2012 at 1:26 pm

That looks amazing. I LOVE heirloom tomatoes and ANY fresh garden veggie. I am so jealous of your garden! I cannot wait to own a house again to have my own! Summer here has been perfect too!

24 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I have an (awesome) idea of what I’m going to do with my garden, and I am SO FREAKIN EXCITED! :D glad to hear your summer has been perfect – with all the Lakation, how can it not be!? :)

25 lindsay August 30, 2012 at 1:36 pm

i swoon everytime i think about portland and the summer and you and basil and well.. all this goodness.

26 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I know… Basil misses Auntie Lindsay… AND Uncle James, too. ;)

27 Julia August 30, 2012 at 2:39 pm

What a great idea to hasselback tomatoes! And the brown butter quinoa, um, that’s sounds fantastic!

28 spabettie August 30, 2012 at 3:28 pm

oooh, Julia it was. I don’t know why I waited so long to make it that way… I will have the “recipe” up soon ;)

29 Mack August 30, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Wow, this looks insanely delicious! I just may have to try it sometime :)

Thanks Kristina!

30 spabettie August 31, 2012 at 9:35 am

hello Mack, great to see you here, and thank you! hope you get to enjoy a long weekend, Cheers!

31 Mack August 31, 2012 at 11:24 am

Ya no problem Kristina, I try to check in on Tribe members as best I can!
I will be soaking up as much of the free time as possible, when I’m not blogging away of course :)
Hope you enjoy yours as well!

32 spabettie August 31, 2012 at 2:13 pm

…and I was just looking around YOUR site… Mack, do you have two dachshunds?? :) we have a doxie named Basil!

33 Mack August 31, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Hahaha well I can’t claim ownership of them, but they are my Aunt’s who I often stay with.. I’m currently house sitting and taking care of the dogs. I’m actually thinking of moving in with them and starting a little blog about them! There are actually 3! Two black and tans, named Diva and Lexis, and another younger and brown, named Tara! I can’t tell you the specific breed at the moment but I will be sure to find out and let you know :) Maybe you could even guest post about little Basil (love the name by the way!) once I get settled in and start up the blog.

34 purelymichelle August 31, 2012 at 5:24 am

heirlooms are Lori and I’s fav!!! I know Lori can’t wait till she can start growing her own veggies like tomatoes!
looks delicious!

35 spabettie August 31, 2012 at 9:34 am

I know – I am excited for Lori and her garden, it’s so exciting to grow your own. happy weekend to you, dear! XO

36 Charlie August 31, 2012 at 9:09 am

Oh!

These would be so good with a nice fresh mozzarella, or some fresh goat cheese.
Thanks for the idea!

Have a Joyful Day :~D
Charlie

37 spabettie August 31, 2012 at 9:25 am

yes – like a hasselback caprese – drizzled with balsamic, Mmm!

thank you, Charlie, I hope your day is fantastic too!

Kristina

38 Stephanie, The Recipe Renovator August 31, 2012 at 3:35 pm

You are just ridiculously creative sometimes… and I can never get over how many versions of a shot you take. I’d be annoyed at you if you weren’t my awesome bloggie friend. Happy weekend! :)

39 spabettie August 31, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Jason is an extremely patient guy :) (if you ever eat here, you can happily begin eating, while watching me shoot photos!) happy weekend to you, too, friend!

40 Jeanette August 31, 2012 at 4:57 pm

What a fun and pretty presentation! Sounds like the weather has been fantastic in Portland this summer.

41 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets August 31, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Oh wow, these look sooo good. Fresh tomatoes, cheddar cheese, basil, hasselbacking; it’s almost more than a girl can stand. Can’t wait to give this a try.

42 spabettie September 1, 2012 at 9:20 am

I hope you do, Meghan – they are so SO good! :) happy weekend to you! XO

43 Julie August 31, 2012 at 9:01 pm

These do look really good, but cheddar cheese isn’t vegan. I’m not vegan either so I may try them anyway :)

44 spabettie September 1, 2012 at 9:13 am

hi Julie! the cheese I linked to is a dairy free / vegan cheddar. I don’t use funny words like cheeze, sorry for the confusion. I hope you do make these, they are wonderful!

45 Julie August 31, 2012 at 9:04 pm

actually not dairy free either (you don’t need to post these comments)

46 spabettie September 1, 2012 at 9:14 am

I sometimes forget I have new readers every day (thank you!), and as I’m typing these recipes must think “my regular readers know”. I will edit the recipe to say vegan cheese. :)

47 Shannon September 1, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I love this! I try to cook moderately low carb meals several nights a week (my boyfriend is diabetic) and this would be a great way to do that.

I’m not vegan but have been wondering about the Daiya wedge cheese. More like I’m waiting for a sale on it because it’s $$$ at my local health food store.

48 spabettie September 4, 2012 at 10:03 am

hi Shannon! this would fit in great – with the protein rich quinoa it was a full meal for us! :) I really like the new Daiya wedges… I haven’t heard anyone say they do not like them. It is on the spendy side, I’ve been lucky to find it on sale often – I hope you do soon! The label says you should use it within 7 days after opening, but it is so flavorful that you need very little each time. since you are not vegan, use a regular cheese until then! :)

49 Paula - bell'alimento September 3, 2012 at 9:18 am

I am in love with this idea! xoxo

50 spabettie September 4, 2012 at 9:51 am

thank you, Paula! I am too… so delicious! I am going to miss the heirlooms…

51 Mom Foodie September 3, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I love the colors in this dish!

52 spabettie September 4, 2012 at 9:44 am

thank you – I know, I love looking at these photos! :)

53 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) September 3, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I did a double-take when I read the title here — my eyes saw tomato but my brain was naturally registering potato… but no, tomato it is! What an awesome idea, and served warmed with the gooey cheese over the quinoa. I’m not sure if I can find farm fresh tomatoes this time of year in FL, but it’s worth the try if it means I can make this for dinner!

54 spabettie September 4, 2012 at 9:37 am

yep, tomato! fun, right? and you got it – the melty cheese getting down into the quinoa, the juicy tomato in the quinoa… Mmm, I want another one now! I hope you can find a tomato to do this – that is not like, $5 apiece ;)

55 Claire September 16, 2012 at 3:02 am

looks totally delicious, different and healthy!

56 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 8:38 am

thanks, Claire! I love these…

57 gil@http://www.howtogetridofacnespots.net March 4, 2013 at 10:37 pm

This is good. Awesome creativity with food.

58 spabettie September 1, 2012 at 9:22 am

aww, well they are CUTE. and yes, you should absolutely start a dachshund blog – they are VERY popular ;) Basil would LOVE to be featured… Cheers, have a great weekend, Mack!