tahini kale chiffonade and stuffed waffles

in baking,Dinner,Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan

tahini kale chiffonade and stuffed waffles

This combines several of my current obsessions – kale chiffonade, tahini, and stuffed waffles. We chiffonade kale several times a week, I still eat tahini nearly every day, and this is my third waffle stuffing.

That sounded like a confession.

tahini kale stuffed waffles

Just like my cheesy tomato stuffed waffles, these are a savory item perhaps better for lunch… although I wouldn’t kick it out of my breakfast table.

That is where the similarities end. Those cheesy tomato waffles are a scrumptious saucy crunchy comfort food that you might want right before a nap.

These are light and savory, fresh and crisp.

tahini kale chiffonade stuffed waffles

Topped with sliced avocado and more tahini, with a sliced roma it was perfect for me.

tahini kale stuffed waffles

tahini kale stuffed waffles

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

makes 4-6 (Belgian style) stuffed waffles

2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
pinch sea salt
3/4 cup club soda
1/3 cup coconut milk (carton)
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon agave
tahini kale chiffonade salad (recipe follows)

Sift together flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt. Add soda, milk, oil and agave, stirring until just combined. Pour a small amount (1/4 to 1/3 cup, depending on size of iron) into prepared waffle iron, add tahini kale salad to the middle (leaving an inch or so border), cover with another 1/4 cup batter. Close and cook per machine instructions. I cooked mine about 3-4 minutes on one side, flipping and cooking another minute (using a waffle iron that flips).

tahini kale chiffonade salad

dairy, soy, gluten free, vegan, raw

3-4 tablespoons raw tahini
juice of 2 lemons
sea salt, pepper
2 large bunches kale, stems and ribs removed

In large bowl, whisk together tahini, lemon juice and salt + pepper, set aside.

Remove stems/ribs from each kale leaf, roll tightly and chiffonade. Place in bowl with tahini lemon. Use hands to massage, coating thoroughly. Add sea salt to taste.

kale chiffonade stuffed waffles

What should I stuff in a waffle next?

1 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers September 3, 2012 at 5:50 am

I always found chicken and waffles to be an odd combo, but I think kale and waffles tops that. haha Sounds good though!

2 spabettie September 4, 2012 at 9:57 am

haaa, thanks Tiff! ;) I know, I’m actually surprised at the amount of positive comments on this one… I figured there would be more skeptics ;) better than chicken, though…

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) September 3, 2012 at 7:03 am

Where do you come up with this stuff? It looks amazing, as always.

4 spabettie September 4, 2012 at 9:54 am

at the most inopportune moments, generally. ;) I always have my phone to make notes…

5 Cut `n Clean Greens September 3, 2012 at 8:22 am

Wow! A waffle stuffed with kale? Yowza, that looks good! We’re going to feature this on our Facebook page and link here so people can see how you made it, and your lovely photography. If you wish, come LIKE us on Facebook for more recipes and tips on greens like kale, chard, beet, mustard, turnip, collard, escarole, dandelion and other green leafies. https://www.facebook.com/Cut.n.Clean.Greens

–Your friendly Southern California farmers at Cut `n Clean Greens

6 spabettie September 4, 2012 at 9:54 am

thank you for sharing – cheers!

7 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy September 3, 2012 at 9:28 am

ooooh a savory waffle! what a delicious idea! kudos!

8 spabettie September 4, 2012 at 9:50 am

thanks Caralyn! :)

9 Linda Mercury September 3, 2012 at 10:02 am

I bet you could make me like kale.

10 spabettie September 4, 2012 at 9:49 am

I know I could!! and I will! ;)

11 Barbara | Creative Culinary September 3, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Talk about small world! I didn’t actually stuff my waffles like you did but I did make them savory with green onion and white cheddar and then used them like bread for a BLT. Not just fun…tasty too. Now I’m on a roll and this helped; they look SO good!
Maybe I’m leaving ice cream for a bit and finding love with waffles? :)

12 spabettie September 4, 2012 at 9:49 am

…and then you could eventually make sweet waffles and top them with ice cream! ;)

Barb your blt waffle sandwiches were the most beautiful I have ever seen!

13 Lora @cakeduchess September 3, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Oh my word. Love these waffles and now that I’ve seen them twice in one day (Barb’s), it’s all I’m craving:)Gorgeous!

14 spabettie September 4, 2012 at 9:39 am

thanks, Lora! I know – there were several waffle recipes floating around yesterday – totally unplanned! (and wow, Barb’s savory waffle sandwich?? YUM).

15 nik September 3, 2012 at 6:28 pm

ohgoodgolly! I’ve never had stuffed waffles or even contemplated the existence of stuffed waffles, but you have thoroughly enlightened me and won me over! I must have one of these flippable waffle contraptions, and learn this chiffonaderie thing. Tahini and kale sounds perfect…other ideas? How about your lemon miso hummus? Maybe a garlicky pesto with olives? Maybe an Asian version using edamame, bean sprouts, water chestnuts? (I’ve just had water chestnuts on the brain, I have no idea if they would waffle-stuff well.) Or some sort of spicy apple butter or peach butter with chopped nuts…Or nut butter with spiced sliced peaches or apples. Either/or would be fine by me. Many thanks! :)

16 spabettie September 4, 2012 at 9:35 am

look at you go with all the waffle stuffing ideas! I have done one with hummus – it was good (gooey!). I have not made a sweet one yet, which I cannot believe, actually. peaches or apples sound really good – and there’s always chocolate;)

17 Kath (My Funny Little Life) September 4, 2012 at 12:37 am

I love the idea of making such a simplebut wonderful salad! Never had kale salad before, and kale is so terribly hard to get here, but the season is approaching :D and my taste buds are *so much* looking forward already!!

18 spabettie September 4, 2012 at 9:33 am

I am all about the simple salads these days – I wish kale was as abundant for you as it is here… you could make this with any sturdy leaf lettuce, though. the chiffonade is the fun part, I think! :)

19 jobo September 4, 2012 at 7:47 am

Wow wow, savory waffles always always get me yet I have never made them. These sound utterly delish and fresh and lovely!

20 spabettie September 4, 2012 at 9:26 am

I might like the savory better than the sweet…

21 Debbie @ Live from La Quinta September 4, 2012 at 11:44 am

Every day you teach me new cooking terms (chiffonade, though perhaps I should have know that one). And now I’m going to go out a get a waffle iron. I love the idea of a savory waffle (though my hubby would be hard to convince).

22 spabettie September 4, 2012 at 9:17 pm

thank you, Debbie – I love to hear that you learn something here! and the savory waffles – you just need to think of the flavors he WILL like… :)

23 Ricki September 5, 2012 at 7:33 pm

This sounds like the perfect combo to me!! Love this idea. And savory waffles for breakfast also sound perfect!

24 spabettie September 8, 2012 at 4:10 pm

thanks, Ricki! I loved these, no matter how unusual they sound ;)

25 Lauren September 6, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Here it is! One more reason to get a waffle maker! These look FANTASTIC :) I love sneaking in veggies…and stuffing a waffle with kale? Amazing.

26 spabettie September 8, 2012 at 3:37 pm

hi Lauren! :) yeah, I thought more people would think this is crazy, but I’m pleasantly surprised at how many like the idea… pretty tasty! :)

27 Christine September 19, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Love this idea! I’m inspired to host a brunch to taste test these and the cheesy tomato waffles with some friends.

28 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 8:11 pm

oh, Christine, I hope you do!! I’ve had several people tell me they love these waffles… (even without stuffing them!) :)

29 Mera September 19, 2012 at 11:01 pm

More on the flour please? Is that exactly what it’s called and where do you find it?

30 spabettie September 20, 2012 at 12:43 pm

hi Mera,

the flour I use is Bob’s Red Mill brand, and it is called Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour. I find it in the gluten free section of any major grocery store.

31 Lauren @ www.cravingsgoneclean.com January 5, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I finally made these and I love them! I used your kale recipe, but created zucchini waffles to stuff. Yum!

32 Ashley February 7, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Oh…my…god. I made a version of this tonight (I used a different waffle recipe) and WOW! This was great! I’ve been following your site for a while, but this is the first recipe I’ve tried from it. I’m super impressed! Can’t wait to try out more. I posted it over on my blog with a link back to yours. Thanks so much for sharing this!

33 Kristina Sloggett February 9, 2013 at 7:03 pm

hi Ashley, I am so happy you liked them! watch out, you might be thinking about stuffing waffles from time to time now, I know I was ;)