mushroom lentil burgers

in Cooking Light,Dinner,Gluten Free,grilling,product review,recipes,snacks,summertime,Vegan

Are you guys tired of my “I love fall” talk?

I know I’ve been talking about fall a lot, and how much I am looking forward to it…  I really have enjoyed this summer – summer in Portland is generally good and this year has been perfect. We still have very warm days (yesterday’s temperature was 90!), but I am loving the cool evenings that have that smoky scent in the air. Fall is coming.

But! We are still loving summer, still loving grilling. We have enjoyed several varieties of veggie and bean based burgers this summer – and here is another.

Lentils and mushrooms make a deliciously savory and juicy burger. I may have used extra garlic. and I think I used a bit more olive oil. I definitely used a flax egg. Which resulted in a perfect burger.

I made a cheese sauce to top the burgers, following that recipe but using Jack cheese. and we used gluten free buns from this local company. We liked them, we grilled them.

The recipe I followed, from Cooking Light –> mushroom lentil burgers.

We paired these burgers with some fresh pineapple and some crunch, in the form of Plentils

Yes, I made lentil burgers and the chips we ate with them? Made of lentils. It works, right?

Well yes – yes it does. These are our new favorite chip, for real. The ‘margherita pizza’ and the sea salt are my favorite flavors, but I loved all of them. Those sea salt chips? Five ingredients total. All the flavors? Free of gluten, dairy, and all of the common allergens (as the Enjoy Life brand always is).

Your favorite chip? Are you clinging to summer or welcoming fall?

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) September 7, 2012 at 5:13 am

That burger looks amazing. Love using lentils for veggie burgers. I’ve not seen those chips. Need to check those out! I’m always on the hunt for yummy chips ;-)

2 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 7, 2012 at 11:03 am

I highly recommend Heather’s eggplant lentil burger as well! I’m making another batch this weekend…LOVE them!

This one looks killer and I absolutely love Plentils! They are super crispy, tasty and not greasy, which are all I look for in a chip!

As for the season…bring on fall! I need to go to the pumpkin patch!

3 spabettie September 8, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I need to try those eggplant burgers, for sure! I bet they are incredible. super crispy, tasty, not greasy – my kind of chip too! ;)

oh and we cannot WAIT for the pumpkin patch!

4 spabettie September 8, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Heather I think you’d love these burgers!

5 Abby September 7, 2012 at 5:23 am

I actually don’t really like chips at all. I know (gasp!) But I do love lentils and mushrooms, so win-win!

6 spabettie September 8, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I don’t often crave chips, but every now and then I do… you’d love these burgers, then! :)

7 Jess September 7, 2012 at 6:00 am

Ohhh those chips look AWESOME, I’ve never seen or heard of them before!! And um hi — this is another item you can surely make for me whenever you’d like to. Those burgers look DELISH!! I love lentils!!

8 spabettie September 8, 2012 at 2:34 pm

the chips ARE awesome… and girl, just keep that list going, some day!! :)

9 Gabby @ the veggie nook September 7, 2012 at 6:17 am

I totally approve of eating lentil burgers with lentil chips- you simplified your meal and made it easier to digest that way right? ;)

I will never get tired of I love fall talk because I too am engaging in a ton of it!

10 spabettie September 8, 2012 at 2:33 pm

yes, Gabby, see? someone gets my thinking – totally a great meal. ;)

11 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 7, 2012 at 8:36 am

I just pinned these to try – 20g of protein! I’m all over that. :)

Have the tried the TJ’s lentil chips? They’re pretty delish too.

12 spabettie September 8, 2012 at 2:31 pm

yes, great protein! I don’t think I have tried those, but I’ll have to look into them…

13 Loanna Overcash September 7, 2012 at 9:50 am

Looking forward to fall! Not sure if it will ever get here. Everything looks delish – I’ve never tried lentil chips so I’ll have to check them out.

14 spabettie September 8, 2012 at 2:30 pm

we have had a mild summer, pretty perfect I think… but if I lived in some of the areas where it’s 90 by 9 am? I’d be wondering if it’ll ever end also!

15 jobo September 7, 2012 at 10:58 am

lalala not listenninggggg! still summer! hush fall! hehe ;-) lentil burgers!! YUM!!!!

16 spabettie September 8, 2012 at 2:29 pm

haa, you are too funny. I know, you have had an incredible summer – I wouldn’t want that to end either! :)

17 Eileen September 7, 2012 at 11:01 am

Well, who doesn’t love fall? It’s totally normal! :) Lentil and mushroom sounds like a great burger combination too!

18 spabettie September 8, 2012 at 2:28 pm

glad you can see where I’m coming from, Eileen! ;) I have plenty of friends who think I’m crazy for wanting summer to end! :)

19 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) September 7, 2012 at 3:34 pm

That sounds like a great summer meal!

20 spabettie September 8, 2012 at 2:23 pm

it was, and one I will definitely make again!

21 Cara September 7, 2012 at 7:17 pm

This reminds me a lentil goat cheese burger I haven’t made in a long while. Must get on that! And yes, love those lentil chips.

22 spabettie September 8, 2012 at 2:23 pm

yes, the original recipe included goat cheese! I just cannot get enough of my cheese sauce… ;)

23 Meghan September 7, 2012 at 7:59 pm

These chips look so interesting. Have you ever had Beanito’s? I really like those.

24 spabettie September 8, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I love Beanitos! I really like these, they are different than a tortilla, which I don’t always want, you know?

25 Elizabeth September 8, 2012 at 1:32 pm

What is an “8-oz pouch of black beluga lentils from Archer Farms”? Is that a grocer? These are pre-cooked beans? I have never seen black lentils…I use brown, green and red.

26 spabettie September 8, 2012 at 2:17 pm

hi Elizabeth! Archer Farms is a brand, I believe (maybe the one with Target stores?) but I didn’t use those either… I assumed the “8 ounce pack” was a precooked bean as well, so I cooked mine.

I think black (or beluga) taste most similar to the green lentil, if you cannot find black.

27 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca September 9, 2012 at 10:40 pm

mmmmmm these burgers remind me of the chickpea burger I had last night. It was at a restaurant, but house-made with hummus, guacamole, salsa, & mozza. Meeercy!! I will have to check out these burgers & whip some up.

I’m with you on the welcome of fall. I didn’t feel that way last year, because summer just basically didn’t show up for us. But this year we had a hot summer & I took advantage of it. Now I’m totally ready to welcome fall & all of the comfort foods that comes with it :D

28 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 3:34 pm

oh, wow, the burger you had sounds great! same down here, we haven’t had a good summer for a couple years… we were due, and we definitely had a great one this time around! :)

29 Allie September 10, 2012 at 7:25 am

Nothing wrong with eating lentils-with-lentils. Or with eating extra garlic. Mmm, extra garlic makes everything just right. Everything, except close personal encounters :D

30 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 3:29 pm

you just BOTH have to eat the garlic, then all is fine, right?

31 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com September 10, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Seriously, I feel so unprepared for fall. Love the combo of mushrooms and lentils in this recipe :)