sushi veggie sliders

in appetizers,Dinner,Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan

veggie sushi sliders

Sushi is one of my favorite foods. Even if I no longer eat fish, you can make some really great veggie sushi rolls. I don’t know if it was the fish (well, I have had really good fish) I used to like so much, or all the flavors that came along with sushi – the wasabi, the pickled ginger, the miso, the wakame, the spicy sauces.

sushi veggie sliders

For a while now, I have had “sushi burgers” written on my list of recipe ideas. I imagined a veggie burger flavored with miso, wasabi, pickled ginger, sriracha – a veggie burger with all those classic flavors that accompany sushi. The base would be rice, of course.

My brother used to be a sushi chef; I gathered up all my sushi flavors, rice and veggies, and invited him over for lunch. I made these slider size so we could use the Hawaiian rolls – a perfect flavor to wrap around these sushi patties!

I topped them with garnish of crunchy broccoli slaw and pickled ginger, with a generous layer of wasabi sriracha aioli.

sushi sliders

sushi veggie sliders

inspired and adapted from Asian Stir-Fry Rice and Veggie Burgers

dairy, egg, and gluten free*, vegan

makes 15 slider size patties (about 3 inches)

3 tablespoons flax seed, freshly ground
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon warm water

4 cups cooked brown rice
3 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon miso paste
3 tablespoons pickled ginger, minced
1 large carrot, diced
15 -18 snap peas, chopped
large tree broccoli (about 1/2 cup), chopped small
1/3 cup peanut butter

*recipe is gluten free / slider buns pictured here are not gluten free

Grind flax seed in blender, coffee grinder. Place 2 tablespoons flax in a bowl, add water and stir. Place in refrigerator to set into gel (this equals / replaces three eggs).

In large mixing bowl, combine rice, sesame oil, miso paste, ginger and veggies. Stir peanut butter into flax gel, add to rice – veggie mixture and combine completely (I used my hand). Using your hands or a spoon, shape mixture into patties (three inch circles, 3/4 inch thick) on prepared (parchment, silpat, greased) baking sheet (this mixture does not form patties on its own, but will set with baking). Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350, until just light brown and slightly crunchy.

Serve on slider buns with wasabi sriracha aioli, broccoli slaw and more pickled ginger.

wasabi sriracha aioli

adapted from this basil aioli recipe

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

1/2 cup safflower oil*
3 tablespoons almond milk*
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon wasabi (check label for gluten free)
2-5 tablespoons sriracha, adjust to your heat preference

*(vegan) mayonnaise can be subbed for oil and milk

In high powered blender, combine oil and milk and blend on high until creamy. Add lemon juice, wasabi and sriracha as you continue to blend. Store in airtight container in refrigerator 3-4 days.

These were a hit – spicy hot and uniquely flavorful. I’ve already had a request for more.

1 Abby September 13, 2012 at 4:14 am

Wow. Those look good, but really complicated, which means you need to find a way to deliver.
I love sushi, but being vegan I love veggie sushi. I also don’t use any sauces–wow, I am sounding extremely lame–but enjoy the texture of the crunchy veggies, smooth avocado, rice and nori. Yum!

2 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 2:01 pm

they aren’t complicated at all? especially if you don’t use sauce, the burgers themselves are very easy.

3 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 13, 2012 at 4:30 am

Um, YUM! I love veggie sushi! I haven’t made it in so long. I actually have everything to make it too and just keep putting it off. These look like a great alternative and fun to make!

4 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 2:00 pm

these are so good and SO MUCH EASIER to make! ;)

5 jobo September 13, 2012 at 4:36 am

oh YUM! Your brother used to be a sushi chef?! that is so freaking cool. And M made a sirachi aoli last night, too funny. (he’d prob love the wasabi in there! Me, no way, I am a wuss with spice!). These look so good (she said for the zillionth time!)

6 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I know, I LOVED it… I’d go in and sit at the bar, he’d make me my favorite hand rolls, HUGE! I always tell him he needs to go get that job again…

7 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat September 13, 2012 at 4:55 am

What a unique idea! Love this twist on veggie burgers.

8 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 1:51 pm

thank you, Claire!

9 Heather (Where's the Beach) September 13, 2012 at 6:07 am

You are simply brilliant my dear. I mean really???? Amazing. I’ve never had real sushi so my idea is just the veggie rolls. Nothing to write home about of course. But I love wakame salads ;-)

10 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 1:50 pm

well, see, you know all the good flavors, though – the wakame, the spicy sauce… all the stuff you put on those veggie rolls, right?

11 Heather @ Better With Veggies September 13, 2012 at 7:58 am

What a great idea – I can’t imagine where you come up with these awesome ideas sometimes. This I HAVE to make. :)

12 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I hope you do, Heather – they’re so good!

13 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning September 13, 2012 at 7:58 am

Whoa!!! What a cool idea!! I definitely am going to make these! My husband and I are big sushi fans, but for some reason, we rarely eat it. We’ve even had sushi making parties at our house before- so fun!
I think that I have to be in a certain “mood” to eat “Asian” food in general, which doesn’t happen to often. I don’t know why though- it’s so darn good!

14 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 1:49 pm

these are MUCH easier than sushi making! ;) we definitely love Asian foods here, and I used to say I could eat sushi every day!

15 cathy @ Noble Pig September 13, 2012 at 9:21 am

Wow, these are so, so cool!! I mean just cute!

16 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 1:48 pm

thanks, Cathy! we are making them again this weekend and I think we have one bottle of Noble Pig left… perfect with these! ;)

17 Eileen September 13, 2012 at 9:52 am

Sushi burgers? I would never have thought to try this flavor combination in a burger (but why?? obviously it happens all the time in, you know, sushi…). Sounds amazing!

18 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 1:47 pm

thanks, Eileen. they are pretty darn tasty ;)

19 Tommy September 13, 2012 at 10:06 am

MAKE THESE FOR US NOW!! …… we will be right over.

20 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 1:43 pm

okay YAY!

21 Stephanie, The Recipe Renovator September 13, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Oh, yes, you did! Can’t wait to try this. Your creativity just astonishes me sometimes. I would think that that bread isn’t vegan either, if I’m remembering my days of eating Hawai’ian bread, but it does look super yummy.

22 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 1:41 pm

thank you, Stephanie – that means a lot! yeah, now that you say it, I bet you’re right about that bread. it’s something we splurge on every now and then, I love it so and it reminds me of childhood!

23 Jillian @ Whisky Drinkin Chimney Sweep September 13, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Those look so delicious. I’ve got to make these and the edamame spring rolls again.

24 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I know, I was thinking I need to make the edamame rolls again too – fresh and light for the last days of summer!

25 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 13, 2012 at 5:14 pm

totally agree with you on still enjoying ‘sushi’ even if you don’t eat fish. There are so many flavor combos that are animal-free! I love the idea of making little cakes like this, so smart!

26 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 1:39 pm

right? I love all the flavors, and with wakame and arame, you still get the “sea” flavor… ;)

27 Javelin Warrior September 14, 2012 at 7:10 am

Sushi burgers – but without the fish! Love the idea and the use of broccoli… I’m featuring this post in today’s Food Fetish Friday (with a link-back and attribution as always). Thanks for always inspiring me with your creations…

28 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 1:26 pm

thank you!! as always, I’m honored to be among such great ideas – as always, everything today looks incredible!

29 Ashley F. September 14, 2012 at 8:16 am

Such an awesome and creative idea! Going to pin these asap!

30 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 1:21 pm

thanks Ashley – I hope you enjoy!!

31 recipeland September 14, 2012 at 10:10 am

So creative. Love brown rice, miso paste, and these veggie burgers sound so healthy and tasty too. Will be bookmarking this recipe…

32 spabettie September 14, 2012 at 1:17 pm

thanks! we are making them again this weekend, we like them so much!

33 Tammy September 15, 2012 at 5:33 pm

They look amazing. I love all of those flavors.

34 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 8:39 am

thanks, Tammy! I do too – and I finally put them all together in a burger! :)

35 nik September 16, 2012 at 9:39 am

Screamingly yumful! My uncle has rediscovered his vegan ways and is also merrily experimenting with vegan sushi…he will love this! Many thanks for sharing all your creativity…cheers!

36 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 8:38 am

thank YOU! I love “screamingly yumful” – and I have to say, pretty accurate for these – I was SO excited about them!

37 Dorinda October 9, 2012 at 4:46 pm

these were dinner tonight (couldn’t find the hawaii buns but used potato rolls). the flavors are outstanding, thanks for a fun and unique dinner!

38 spabettie October 11, 2012 at 7:19 pm

so happy you enjoyed, Dorinda! potato rolls are prefect for this!