spicy thai tacos [taco tuesday]

in Dinner,Gluten Free,grilling,recipes,Vegan

We are having a heat wave here, everybody.

Yesterday was higher than 90 – if this is what they call an Indian Summer I will take it, thankyouverymuch.

I know, I know, it is not even technically autumn yet – but it will be this weekend! Our first full day of fall – predicted to be in the upper 80′s.

I love it. Because we have these perfect sunny days, and then the evenings and nights are cold – very cold. Just like I say it would be perfect if it rained from midnight until like, five am – having sunny hot days with cool nights? Perfect.

…and if it only rains past midnight, we can grill all year long. Grilled tacos for Taco Tuesday, all year long!

…and while it is summer? these tacos will have fresh grilled corn.

spicy thai tacos

dairy and gluten free, vegan

1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tablespoon sriracha
1 tablespoon sesame oil
juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon tamari
1 clove garlic, minced fine
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 block extra firm tofu, cut into strips
fresh corn, cut from cob
broccoli slaw
corn tortillas

In a small bowl, whisk together peanut butter, sriracha, sesame oil, lime juice, tamari, garlic, and chili powder. Arrange tofu strips on (prepared – silpat, parchment or spray) baking sheet, brush with marinade to coat completely (you will have extra marinade for sauce). Bake at 325 for 25 minutes – can also be grilled on an outdoor grill.

Serve in corn tortillas with fresh corn and broccoli slaw as garnish, drizzled with remaining marinade.

Happy [Taco] Tuesday – is it still summer where you are?

1 GetSkinnyGoVegan September 18, 2012 at 5:33 am

Adore tacos in all shapes and forms!!
And we have been grooving on the new srirahcaha from organicville! Pricey but less junk in it.

2 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 8:09 am

hmmm, I’ll have to look for it, I love Organicville products (their bbq sauce? SO good!)

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) September 18, 2012 at 5:50 am

Oh those look great – love the addition of the corn. I love different texture combos like that. So funny that you’re getting summer and we’re suddenly getting fall. Supposed to be 52 tonight. Crazy right?

4 Heather (Where's the Beach) September 18, 2012 at 5:50 am

5 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 8:08 am

I love fresh corn on my tacos – and Jason loves to grill, so…

I know – our weather has traded, right?

6 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning September 18, 2012 at 6:08 am

I love the idea of taco Tuesday! I may have to steal that- it makes meal planning a lot easier (and won’t get boring since there’s a million options). Peanut tofu is just so darn good.
We do “pizza Friday” and make something kind of different each time, but we’re actually doing that tonight (with Daiya cheese) since I’ll be gone this weekend. And God forbid I go a week without pizza.
It is most definitely fall here. Cool, perfect weather (though I do love the heat…) but rainy and icky today.

7 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 8:07 am

we love Taco Tuesday – you should definitely make that a thing at your place too. I mean, the possibilities are endless, clearly! haaa – you MUST move Pizza Friday if you won’t be around for it!!

8 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 18, 2012 at 6:19 am

It’s raining and nasty here today – feels like fall to me!

The first 4… 5… No, 6 ingredients are probably my favorite flavors in the world. Clearly this needs to happen. Stat.

9 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 8:06 am

yay! make it happen, you will LOVE these!

10 christina September 18, 2012 at 8:04 am

It’s still in the 80s here too, and I’m still enjoying my Summer corn. It’s so sweet! I love that this dish has peanut butter AND sriracha in it. What’s not to love?

11 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 8:06 am

right? pb and sriracha, makes both better.

12 Living The Sweet Life September 18, 2012 at 8:33 am

I had to do a double take on your post date when you said you were experiencing a heat wave today – - it’s chilly and rainy in Toronto!! But I can’t help myself with these tacos … they look deeeeeelicious :)

13 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 8:05 am

I heard you were getting rain! the news this morning was just saying we have had like, 1/8 of an inch of rain this month?? I’ll take it! :D

14 sippitysup September 18, 2012 at 10:43 am

Our heatwave broke. Let’s celebrate with tacos. GREG

15 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 8:04 am

we’re definitely celebrating that! :)

16 Allie September 18, 2012 at 11:04 am

Oh YUM! And no, it is disappointingly NOT summer here anymore! I am not happy (but AM wrapped in scarves).

17 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 8:04 am

aw, sorry! I know you want your summer to last… scarves are fun, yes?

18 Allie September 19, 2012 at 11:36 am

I have to admit I especially love them for work–wear a shabby outfit but throw on a classy flowy scarf? Instant office attire.

19 Eileen September 18, 2012 at 11:10 am

We’re just on the cusp of summer-not summer here in Silicon Valley. I am wearing a fleece vest today, though! Those tacos look great–I could eat a taco for every meal. :)

20 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 8:02 am

I think our weather is similar to yours? Jason flies to Folsom nearly every week, and it’s often the same. this morning it was cool enough for fleeze, it will get warmer again later though! :)

21 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 8:03 am

um, FLEECE. fleeze made me laugh out loud, though…

22 Averie @ Averie Cooks September 18, 2012 at 11:12 am

spicy peanut sauce over tofu and made into tacos – oh what a good meal this looks like!

23 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 7:55 am

it was SO good… I knew you’d like these, Averie!

24 Paula - bell'alimento September 18, 2012 at 11:17 am

I could totally get down with that right NOW : )

25 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 7:54 am

these were so good – wish I could share! :D

26 jobo September 18, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I need to stop reading your posts when I am hungry!! droooool!

27 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 7:54 am

no, no you don’t! you just need to make a shopping list… ;)

28 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) September 18, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I am with you – we are LOVING this weather. Not quite as hot up here but clear skies and warm. amazing! Those tacos look fantastic!

How is your brothers GF doing?

29 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 7:53 am

thanks for asking, Alyssa… the same, really. not much to say :( she’s still in the ICU.

glad you’re enjoying great weather too… it was 91 here again yesterday!

30 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 18, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Oh tofu, how I miss you! That looks amazing! We did fish tacos this weekend. The boys love taco nights!

This week it’s getting cooler! I’m so ready for fall!!!

31 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 7:52 am

WE love taco nights too… so SO good. it’s crazy, another 90+ day yesterday, then I wake up (um, at 4:30…) and it’s 40 – brrrr! I LOVE it! :D

32 Marya@parttimehealthnut.com September 19, 2012 at 3:10 am

This is another recipe I’m gonna have to try. I’ve grilled tofu twice in the last week. Once we marinaded it for a day in garlic, EVOO, and lemon juice. The second time I just brushed it with sugar-less worcestershire sauce. It feels so satisfying and it’s easy!

33 spabettie September 19, 2012 at 7:50 am

so easy! the garlic oil and lemon sounds SO good – light and refreshing. so many of my marinated tofu recipes are just me standing in the kitchen… looking around at what else I could add… ;) this one was actually a plan!

34 Michelle September 20, 2012 at 3:29 pm

My tofu is in the oven now. I’m cutting back on salt and oil so I put less oil and tamari and used natural peanut butter. My marinade was really thick so I put in a bit of water until it was thin enough to brush on. Hope it works! My marinade looked much less red/orange than in your photos.

35 tom@morethanpepper September 21, 2012 at 8:22 am

fall is here time for some warmth and these will help

36 spabettie September 28, 2012 at 6:14 pm