roasted plum ice cream

in Dessert,Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan,Vegan MoFo

I bought paint the other day.

I have a few small decor projects planned, and a couple big ones. I am so excited, and cannot wait to share them! I was told by one of my sisters recently “YOU have Christmas this year” which is fine by me! Nothing makes me happier than a house full of family and friends – that I can cook for, visit with, laugh and eat and drink and laugh.

So while the possibility of hosting the holidays in our new home thrills me to no end, it also makes me want to get going on all the decorating and house projects we have planned – and I’m already thinking of food. Of course.

Where do I start? Desserts.

This is the ice cream I served with my plum pie bites.

roasted plum ice cream

dairy, egg and gluten free, vegan

2 pounds fresh plums, pitted
2 cans coconut milk (full fat)
1/4 cup agave
4 ounces cream cheese (Tofutti)
1 tablespoon vanilla paste
1/2 cup plum jam, divided

Pit plums, slice in halves and arrange on prepared (parchment) baking sheet, sprinkle with sugar. Roast at 350 for 20 minutes. Allow to cool.

In high powered blender, puree plums until smooth. Continue to blend and add coconut milk, agave, cream cheese, vanilla and 1/4 cup plum jam. Transfer to ice cream maker and prepare according to manufacturer directions. Transfer to freezer safe container, fold in remaining plum jam, making ribbons through the ice cream.

Have you started thinking of the holidays yet? Just me? I can’t help it – I saw my first holiday commercial the other day.

Have you entered the HUGE Stock Your Pantry giveaway yet? Five people win – today is the final day –  enter here!

1 the 3volution of j3nn October 17, 2012 at 4:32 am

That sounds soooo GOOOOD! I’ve been planning on taking my ice cream maker out to make something. I think the bowl is already frozen but could probably use a little freshening up after being in the freezer for like 18 months waiting to be filled, haha.

2 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 6:52 pm

:D yeah, just take it out and thaw it, clean it and stick it back in… 2 days turnaround, tops! gives you time to think about what flavors to make…

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) October 17, 2012 at 5:38 am

Can I come over too? I do enjoy having my family over for the holidays. Unfortunately, that’s only happened a couple of times since they are all in the same city and I am the one who lives elsewhere. :-(

4 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I know I am lucky to have all of my family here. makes it easy. and when we go to Missouri to spend holidays there, it’s because all of Jason’s family is there. makes it easy either way.

5 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 17, 2012 at 6:05 am

OMG – you are killing me with the ice cream! (In a good way.) the cream cheese in there is a genius move. Top it with a balsamic reduction and I’m in heaven.

6 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 6:50 pm

oooh oooh oooh, balsamic! see? I make the ice cream, and then you always have the extra awesome idea for it! :)

7 Nichole October 17, 2012 at 6:26 am

I’ll take all your Christmas hosting planning tips!

8 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 6:49 pm

okay – is everyone coming out your way? how FUN is that? *of course they are all coming there, with the BIG GIFT you are getting for the holidays! XXO

9 jobo October 17, 2012 at 6:27 am

I need an ice cream maker. Dammit, all of these recipes look so good and relatively simple to make! And I love the holidays too :)

10 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 6:48 pm

you should look for them now, if you really want one – they are always on sale after the summer!

11 Allie October 17, 2012 at 7:40 am

Okay, scratch my idea for you to open JUST a chocolate shop–you need a chocolate and ice cream shop! I’d totally move to live near that. And I just started panicking about Christmas the other day, so yup, it’s definitely getting close to the holiday season ;D

12 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 6:48 pm

chocolate, ice cream and baked goods! :) and then Jason could make beer. so, chocolate ice cream bakery beer! :)

13 Ashley F. October 17, 2012 at 8:17 am

Every time you talk about ice cream I think about the holidays and how I need to add an ice cream machine to my wish list! My mind has been spinning with all of the things I want to do this season – now it’s just finding the time to do them!

14 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 6:47 pm

oh please do – then we could both make awesome ice creams!! :D

15 Shannon Roche October 17, 2012 at 8:48 am

Yum!

16 Roz@weightignfor50 October 17, 2012 at 10:44 am

OOOH….yum! Holiday commercials? OH NO….already???? Have a great day Kris.

17 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 6:43 pm

it was everyone’s favorite, Target. of course! ;)

18 Eileen October 17, 2012 at 11:18 am

Yay for plum ice cream! Now I really wish I’d made jam out of our million tiny cherry plums this year. But I do have a whole lot of them frozen, so I think I can make a good approximation. :) And would I ever love to host winter holidays for once! We’re stuck in “no, YOU fly out to North Carolina” territory instead.

19 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 6:43 pm

I think the frozen ones would still be great in a jam! I froze a bunch of cherries this summer, and I’m hoping they’re still good when I want them! :)

20 ameyfm October 17, 2012 at 12:38 pm

oh my goodness, that ice cream is absolutely beautiful! what an amazing color. and it sounds totally great – i love the idea of plum and coconut milk!! sigh.

I’m not quite thinking about xmas yet, but I am definitely scheming on Thanksgiving! :)

21 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 6:42 pm

I am already thinking about BOTH Thanksgiving and Christmas… it doesn’t help that I have a project for another website that is holiday themed, and I have to turn it in soon. so funny how far ahead magazines work! :)

22 Faith October 17, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I’ve been thinking of the holidays too! Love thinking about what I’m going to make for our big family meals this year.

This ice cream is beautiful — definitely evokes visions of sugar plums! :)

23 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 6:40 pm

sugar plums, YES! :)

24 Richa October 17, 2012 at 2:05 pm

you just wait.. i will drop by your house some day with an empty bowl, or a dozen bowls, which you will have to fill with ice creams!

25 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 6:40 pm

yay! :D

26 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 17, 2012 at 4:12 pm

That color of that bowl of ice cream is so incredible beautiful! I haven’t pulled out my ice cream freezer in a year. I’m pretty sure she would be happy if I pulled her out and made this treat!

As for the holidays, I have started thinking about it, but haven’t really taken the full fledge leap in buying anything. I’m just enjoy fall right now! It is amazing here!

27 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I know, I am SO loving fall! I am working a project for another website that is holiday themed, so I’m already thinking about the holidays. crazy. but I’m excited because we’re in a new house, I’m already thinking about a tree and lights and… and… :D

28 Jeanette October 17, 2012 at 6:56 pm

What a great idea – love how you roasted the plums!

29 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 6:35 pm

thanks, Jeanette!

30 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca October 17, 2012 at 9:42 pm

mmmmmmmm I think it’s the addition of cream cheese in the ice cream that seals the deal for me! It looks so pretty and sounds so good. I’m totally craving ice cream now.

I love hosting holidays, but I don’t think we’ll be hosting Christmas this year. I’m with you on the decorations and food, though! I get right into it, too. There’s always a tree, even if we don’t host.
I’ve already been thinking about Christmas shopping! But I have no idea what to get anyone yet, haha. Can’t wait to see how you decorate :)

31 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I know, I am so happy I added cream cheese to ice cream a while back… SO good. I am looking forward to holiday decorating, and hopefully getting a HUGE tree! :)

32 Lindsay October 18, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Delicious!!!

Our stores are stocking Christmas goodies already — crazy!!!

33 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 7:07 pm

oh that is just crazy! I saw some holiday decor recently too… *sigh*

34 Nina October 18, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I’m sitting here, admiring the plum tree outside my dining room window. It’s mid Spring and I’ve just spotted the first teeny tiny plum on said tree. I open my email inbox and here you are! I’m always on the look out for pum recipes. You read my mind! :)
Thank you.

35 spabettie October 18, 2012 at 8:38 pm

oh, I’m so happy to hear that, Nina! I am jealous of your plum tree, and your springtime! :) enjoy it!

36 Nina January 28, 2013 at 12:57 am

I (re)found this recipe, hooray! I’ve been frantically trying to find recipes in which to use (literally) bucket loads of plums. :)
We did a MAJOR harvest of our two main trees about 10 days ago and things are now getting desperate as plums are piling up in the kitchen.
I cannot wait to make this recipe and potentially make much more to keep in reserve. ;)

37 Kristina Sloggett January 30, 2013 at 11:31 am

oh, to have plum trees! we have a cherry tree that gives us SO MUCH, and I love it. plums would be very nice too… enjoy!

38 Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet October 18, 2012 at 9:40 pm

YUM! I wish I had some plums right about now. Great recipe. xo

39 spabettie October 19, 2012 at 7:36 am

thank you, Heather!

40 Matt mmWine Horbund October 20, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Sounds delicious. I bet roasting the plums adds a deeper dimension of flavor than just using them fresh. I don’t often make desserts, but this one sounds great.

41 spabettie October 21, 2012 at 9:00 am

yes, a more pronounced and sweeter flavor!

42 Canned Time October 22, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Really love this. Love plums, love pink! Love healthy desserts that I can chow down on without the guilt…thanks so much for sharing:)

43 spabettie October 22, 2012 at 9:27 pm

you are so very welcome!