double chocolate espresso doughnuts

in baking,Dessert,Gluten Free,raw,Vegan,Vegan MoFo

We are getting in the Halloween spirit around here. I am making candy and bite size doughnuts (for a party, not for trick or treaters). Basil is wearing a different costume every day, and our pumpkins are on the porch:

We like University of Oregon around here, so I painted a couple pumpkins with the uniform duck wings and a glittery Oregon O. These are sharing the porch with my glowing skull and my wreath:

I love the contrast of the fall colors with the bright blue front door. I love my blue front door.

I love these doughnuts. Chocolate and espresso… and more chocolate and more espresso! Perfectly doughy fluffy chocolatey good.

Trick or treat.

2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1 1/2 tablespoons espresso beans, finely ground
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gumĀ

Preheat oven to 350.

Melt butter and set aside to cool.

Grind flax seed in blender, coffee grinder. Place 2 tablespoons flax in a bowl, add water and stir. Place in refrigerator to set into gel (this equals / replaces two eggs).

Stir agave and pumpkin into cooled melted butter, add flax mixture. Sift together flour, cocoa, espresso beans, baking soda and xanthan gum, add to wet ingredients and stir until just combined.

Fill prepared (sprayed) doughnut pans 1/2 full (a piping bag makes this easy). Bake 10 minutes for mini doughnuts, 13 minutes for regular size doughnuts. Cool completely before frosting.

To frost, dip cooled doughnuts into chocolate espresso glaze (recipe follows).

chocolate espresso glaze

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

8 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
1 teaspoon espresso beans, finely ground
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 tablespoons agave

In small saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate and espresso bean powder. Remove from heat, stir in coconut oil and agave.

Do you decorate for the fall or Halloween?

1 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 24, 2012 at 5:27 am

We have been so busy this year that we really haven’t decorated at all. I’m hoping to get to a pumpkin patch this weekend to grab some for decoration through Thanksgiving and then I can roast them up for my pumpkin addiction! I needed those doughnuts this morning for Jay! He overslept (which wouldn’t have happened if I wasn’t training at client at 5am) and he seriously needed a jolt of espresso! These look perfect!

2 spabettie October 24, 2012 at 12:44 pm

aw, poor guy – you know, if I was your neighbor;) XXO!

3 Caroline October 24, 2012 at 6:21 am

I have glow-in-the-dark plastic spiders and fake webbing decorating my fence, a plastic skull and a sparkly purple cat (my favorite part) sitting on the patio table, some shiny reflective ghosts stuck in a potted mum, a Happy Halloween sign on the front door, a small metal “Trick or Treat” sign tied to the gate with purple ribbon, and of course a big orange pumpkin that we’ll carve this week. I had to use cheap decorations because there’s a good chance they’ll get stolen. But we get between 500-1000 trick-or-treaters every Halloween so I have to get into the spirit!

4 spabettie October 24, 2012 at 12:44 pm

WOW, that is a lot of trick or treaters, how fun! we just bought a house this year that is in a neighborhood, so we are VERY excited to have trick or treaters ring our bell – we used to live on a couple acres and there was nobody around on Halloween. have a great time, only a week away!

5 Jess October 24, 2012 at 10:01 am

I LOVE your blue front door! My mom’s house is gray and I distinctly recall her asking for advice on color choice when she replaced the front door. I obviously chose purple and wouldn’t you know she went with it? So perty ;-) But the BLUE of your door, rivals that for sure.

PS. I also love this doughnut recipe. chocolate and coffee together? Heavenly.

6 spabettie October 24, 2012 at 12:40 pm

purple front door! your mom is awesome. several years ago I helped my mom (talked her into?) painting her kitchen a beautiful dark red… we wanted to surprise my stepdad so we started as soon as he left for work, and finished before he got home (whew, big day!). fun to do big color, though. and YES, I LOVE my front door, it’s so fun!

7 Lana @ Never Enough Thyme October 24, 2012 at 10:33 am

My Fall decorating starts at the front door and goes right on through the house. I have a pretty fall wreath on the front door and two huge yellow mums on either side of the door with smaller mums and pumpkins going down the steps. My dining table is laid with a set of fall colored china, an ecru tablecloth and pumpkins, gourds, and Indian corn in the centerpiece. I also change out my throw pillows to fall colors and hang heavier window coverings for the cooler weather.

But enough of decorating – I want to be in the kitchen making these delicious doughnuts. What a treat!

8 spabettie October 24, 2012 at 12:38 pm

your doorstep sounds very pretty! I haven’t really started decorating just yet indoors, and most of that is “fall” themed rather than Halloween… gourds and Indian corn like you… I love that stuff! :)

(oh, and I have commented a couple times at your place recently – I might be in moderation or spam? I’ve been having an issue on some sites with spam, and would LOVE to be rescued!) XO

9 Lana @ Never Enough Thyme October 24, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Oh, no! Your comments must have gone to spam and, truly, I get so much of it that I usually just delete it without looking through. Please, please do visit and comment again. Promise I’ll keep a lookout for you.

10 spabettie October 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm

of course I will – one was just this morning, perhaps I am still there? I will let you know immediately next time! :) (thank you!)

11 Heather @ Better With Veggies October 24, 2012 at 11:54 am

Are you kidding me?! These look freakin amazing!! I think these will be on the weekend baking schedule very, very soon! :)

12 spabettie October 24, 2012 at 12:35 pm

they were pretty darn good, if I can say so ;)

13 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) October 24, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Double Yum! I am drooling over that glaze. We are getting in the Halloween spirit as well, but mostly for our toddler :)

14 spabettie October 25, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I cannot even IMAGINE how crazy I’d get with Halloween fun if I had a child… :D (enjoy!!)

15 Macey October 24, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Oh Em Gee!! These look AMAZING!!!
I love the fall, and everything about it! The rain, the cool air, the decorations… everything! I’m so excited for Halloween parties and get togethers starting this weekend too!

16 spabettie October 25, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I know, I love this time of year as well – the smoky scent in the air, the FOG in the morning (wow, really neat out there this morning!), and the parties start now and kinda go until New Years, right?? :D

17 purelytwins October 25, 2012 at 7:07 am

you had us at the title! all our favorites in one recipe ;) your amazing!! love ya

18 spabettie October 25, 2012 at 12:53 pm

aw, thanks! XXO

19 Dixya@ Food, Pleasure, and Health October 25, 2012 at 8:04 am

pumpkin looks so fun! love those bright colors…the donuts have my fav ingredients- i have never used gum for any baking yet although i have seen in so many recipes. will have to give a shot with this donuts soon :)

20 spabettie October 25, 2012 at 12:51 pm

thanks, Dixya – the pumpkins were fun to do! :) I have heard guar gum does the same thing, and is a much better value, if you are going to purchase a gum. you could try the recipe without it, the doughnuts would be more dense, like a brownie, less fluffy.

21 Adventures in Dressmaking October 25, 2012 at 8:32 am

Fun pumpkins! I’m a three-time Duck (bachelors and masters) so have lots of Oregon pride. Love the glitter!

22 spabettie October 25, 2012 at 12:49 pm

yay – go Ducks! …also, I just spent a great amount of time on your blog. :D congrats on your recent move and your new house – we just bought a house this year as well, and I am having fun just starting to decorate and paint. (I am doing some fun stencils, and striped walls too!)

23 Adventures in Dressmaking October 25, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Oh, cool!! Thanks for poking around my blog! Will be sure to check by yours for fun updates, too! And I’m sure I’ll see you at a Portland Bloggers thing sometime!

24 spabettie October 25, 2012 at 1:05 pm

yes, I hope to start attending events soon, so happy to have found the group!

25 Matt mmWine Horbund October 26, 2012 at 5:23 am

Love your fall spirit, even if it’s OU colors :) Great looking snacks, love the varied sizes! Yum!

26 spabettie October 26, 2012 at 8:10 am

yes, you have to be a Ducks fan to appreciate these pumpkins ;)

27 Cookin' Canuck October 26, 2012 at 9:01 am

I am going to spend the rest of the day trying not to think about these. Yum!

28 spabettie October 27, 2012 at 11:32 am

:D I know, they really went fast here. perhaps the small size? ah, probably the chocolate and espresso;)

29 Fancy Pants October 27, 2012 at 4:49 pm

This look amazing!! I might have to try them soon.