[raw] brownie bottomed cheesecake

in Dessert,Gluten Free,raw,recipes,Vegan,Vegan MoFo

Remember my Vegan Fusion Immersion class I attended this summer? Over the weekend, I got together with three alumni friends for a potluck. We spent the afternoon eating amazing vegan food – just like we did every day in class…

It was so fun to see these friends again! We all enjoyed the fact that we all grabbed our cameras with each course, we all are so very excited about vegan and raw foods, we all like to talk about food – while we are eating food.

We did talk about other things too. Really, we did.

and we ate some amazing food.

Appetizer course – romesco dip with crackers.

First course – spicy potato leek soup.

Second Course – pineapple cilantro coleslaw salad.

Third Course – tofu stuffed shells, tofu stuffed peppers.

Fourth Course – seitan Marsala with angel hair pasta.

Dessert Course – raspberry jalapeno chocolates

Dessert Course – raw brownie bottomed cheesecake

Remember the brownie bottomed cheesecake I made for my birthday? I made another one - a raw one. This cake is so fluffy from the Irish moss paste, delicious and very easy to prepare! Everyone loved it and took home extra pieces…

[raw] brownie bottomed cheesecake

inspired by brownie bottomed cheesecake, adapted from triple berry red white blue cheesecake

dairy, egg, oil, soy and gluten free, vegan, raw

makes one 9-inch cheesecake

*Prepare ahead: Irish moss paste (see instructions below); soak cashews

raw hazelnut brownie crust

1 cup hazelnuts
1/3 cup cacao powder
7 ounces dried figs
1/4 cup agave
1/4 cup water

Line a 9 inch spring-form pan with parchment. In food processor, pulse hazelnuts to a fine crumb. Add cacao powder, combine completely. Add figs and agave, process until combined. Add water slowly until a dough ball forms. Press into 9 inch spring-form pan.

cheesecake layer

2 1/2 cups cashews, soaked several hours / overnight
juice of two lemons
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup agave
1/2 cup Irish moss paste (see instructions below)

Process cashews in food processor, adding lemon juice and acv, blend until creamy. Add agave and Irish moss, blending until incorporated and mixture is smooth. Spread in an even layer over crust, place in refrigerator to set.

Irish moss paste

(makes one 1/2 cup)

1/4 cup Irish moss
water

Thoroughly clean/rinse Irish moss, removing sand, other debris. Place in bowl (large enough to accommodate moss doubling in size), add water to soak (enough water to cover moss). Set aside for several hours/overnight, moss will double in size, absorb some of the water. Transfer moss to high speed blender, blend until smooth paste forms (adding water by the tablespoon as needed to thin).

Do you have friends who take photos of their food, who get excited about food?

1 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 25, 2012 at 4:48 am

This. Looks. Amazing. So fluffy and creamy!

Don’t be surprised if I randomly show up at your door one day demanding food.

2 spabettie October 25, 2012 at 1:00 pm

haa – like, in another week or so…? how much fun would I have making celebratory “after foods” for you!!??! :D

3 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 25, 2012 at 9:08 pm

I. Would. Die. (Of happiness).

4 spabettie October 25, 2012 at 10:15 pm

:D it would be epic. EPIC, I tell you!!

5 Beth @ Tasty Yummies October 25, 2012 at 5:11 am

Oh my gosh this looks to die for. Wow! I could sit down and definitely eat this in one sitting :)
(Hey K, I emailed you earlier this week, not sure if you got it or not, let me know if you didn’t)

6 spabettie October 25, 2012 at 12:59 pm

yes… I could definitely eat more than my fair share.

and YES – so sorry I have not replied YET – I will, and yes I am in! :D

7 Beth @ Tasty Yummies October 25, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Awesome and no need to apologize, I know it’s a tight turnaround, I just wanted to be sure you got my email! I am so happy you are in! yay!

8 Heather (Where's the Beach) October 25, 2012 at 5:31 am

Everything looks so incredible. Good thing I just finished breakfast ;-)

9 spabettie October 25, 2012 at 12:58 pm

hee, yep. sorry about always having the deliciousness in the morning time… :D

10 jo @ including cake October 25, 2012 at 5:52 am

I love the look of the cheesecake. I will feature it on my weekly roundup….happy Vegan Mofo! :-)

11 spabettie October 25, 2012 at 12:57 pm

yay, thank you Jo! happy MoFo to you!

12 Ashlae October 25, 2012 at 6:42 am

Love this! I make a raw coconut cream (sometimes banana cream) tart with a brownie bottom crust that is to die for – how is it that brownies just make everything BETTER?

Irish moss – I’ve seen people make a lot of fabulous pies/cakes/tarts/puddings/younameit with that stuff. Must get my hands on some.

13 spabettie October 25, 2012 at 12:55 pm

brownies DO make everything better! coconut and banana cream sounds fantastic, too!

as far as Irish moss goes, I LOVE IT! really, for raw cheesecakes, it gives that fluffy texture of a “regular” cheesecake – not dense, heavy. amazing stuff. I could not find it locally, ordered a nice sized bag from amazon, which has a 2014 date, so I’m good for a while! you must try it!

14 Betsy December 10, 2012 at 11:13 am

What form of the irish moss are you using? Dried powder/strips? Does any other seaweed type work like this one? I have never used this before but would love to have a ‘cheese cake’ that doesn’t make me ill. Thx

15 Kristina Sloggett December 10, 2012 at 11:59 am

hi Betsy! I don’t think all seaweeds work like Irish moss, I am not sure though – the one I use is called “whole leaf” but it is in shapes that look similar to coral, rather than leaves. Here is the kind I use – Irish moss. There are other kinds that may not be food grade (we use Irish moss tablets in our home beer brewing, and those are not edible).

This recipe works without the Irish moss, it is just not as fluffy like a traditional cheesecake.

16 Nichole October 25, 2012 at 6:54 am

Delicious menu! MMM, what good combos.

I’ve never met a cheesecake I didn’t like:)

17 spabettie October 25, 2012 at 12:53 pm

same here – cheesecake is my All Time Favorite!

18 purelytwins October 25, 2012 at 7:07 am

love irish moss paste and what it does for desserts. which reminds us we need to make more ;)

19 spabettie October 25, 2012 at 12:53 pm

I know, I love it so – raw cheesecakes are fluffy and “feel” like a regular cheesecake! how long do you keep your paste once it is made? I have some in my fridge, don’t know how long it lasts?

20 Purelytwins October 25, 2012 at 1:04 pm

When made up not for very long, maybe a week or two. We normally freeze leftovers to help it last longer.

21 spabettie October 25, 2012 at 1:05 pm

oh, thank you!! I never even thought of freezing it! XXO!

22 Katie October 25, 2012 at 7:35 am

Do you have the recipe for the tofu stuffed shells? They look amazing and stuffed shells is one of my past favorite non-vegan foods!!

23 spabettie October 25, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I do not, but I may be teaching a class with her to make the dishes she brought! If I get her permission to share here I will! :)

24 Heather @ Better With Veggies October 25, 2012 at 9:18 am

It’s always fun to go out with other bloggers and not be the only one taking photos. :) I love that you made a raw version of that cake – looks amazing! And I need a group around here to do potluck dinners like this, yummy. :)

25 spabettie October 25, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I know, we are going to make this a regular thing, so I look forward to more great meals with these ladies. and the taking photos thing? YES (although it seems to be a more common occurrence these days, and they cannot ALL be bloggers, can they?!!?) ;)

26 Eileen October 25, 2012 at 12:29 pm

That sounds like such a great meal with friends! I don’t know how anyone could keep their stomach from bursting with all those amazing dishes. :) I’ve never heard of Irish moss paste, so I’m super intrigued by that cheesecake!

27 spabettie October 25, 2012 at 12:44 pm

it was, Eileen, it really was! and while we often enjoy multi course meals, I always have to pace myself… so I can finish. that often means eating small amounts of each course. we sat and talked all afternoon, so there were breaks in this case! :)

28 Jennifer October 25, 2012 at 5:03 pm

HOLY cheesecake, that looks delicious!!

29 spabettie October 25, 2012 at 10:17 pm

thanks, Jennifer! XO

oh, and HEY!! really great to see you! I recognized your photo, saw a new name, said YAY out loud and went to check out the new site – congrats and welcome back! :)

30 Lou October 25, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Oh yes, PLEASE! What a lovely-sounding Dinner gathering, and WHAT a dessert…. I really wish I could get that Irish Moss stuff on this side of the globe, but it’s unavailable due to a customs regulation, BOO HISS.

31 spabettie October 25, 2012 at 10:16 pm

oh, poo! shoot, I suppose that means I cannot send you some…? ;)

32 Kim Bee October 25, 2012 at 8:52 pm

DO you hear that sound at your door, that’s me waiting there with a plate and a fork.

33 spabettie October 25, 2012 at 10:16 pm

awwww, Kim I wish you really were!! :D

34 Amy @FragrantVanillaCake October 26, 2012 at 7:38 pm

This, and all the other food in this post sounds amazing! I have a weakness for raw cheesecake, and I love the brownie base!

35 Kelly Klepfer October 26, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Why does Irish Moss seem so intimidating? But after all the glowing comments I must actually purchase the one I’ve held in my shopping cart for 6 months. : )

36 spabettie October 27, 2012 at 11:17 am

I know Kelly, I was the same way before I worked with it in class – just so… unknown, right? It could not be easier, and you should get some! (I had mine in a cart for a while too!) :D

37 Richa October 27, 2012 at 7:38 pm

i’d love to attend this class! and take all of that cheesecake away with me:)
i dont even live too far. seattle to portland will happen someday soon:)

38 Lora @cakeduchess October 27, 2012 at 8:33 pm

That cheesecake-whoa! I love every part of it. All the food you had at the potluck looks so good:)I’d love to try it all:)

39 hannah December 23, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Hi Bettie,
I made this cake but was disappointed because I can kinda taste a seaweed-y-ness from the irish moss. Does yours impart flavour? Or is it a tang to get used to?
Thanks!
Hannah

40 Kristina Sloggett December 23, 2012 at 10:52 pm

hi Hannah,

sorry that you tasted a flavor from the Irish moss; the one I use definitely has a smell when taken out of the package (I always think it smells like leather), but after soaking I no longer smell it, and have never detected a flavor in the recipes I add it to. Perhaps you should only use it when there are stronger flavors in the recipe? and to save this one, perhaps make a fruit sauce (strong flavor like raspberry) to add to it, so the cake is not a waste.

hope that helps,

Kristina

41 Hannah December 24, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Yea thanks that helps loads! I think I’ll try it in a chocolate mousse next. I got it from my farmers marker and it’s Irish and foraged so that might be why – just too fresh :)! As for the cheesecake – I topped with some sliced banana and cinnamon and it’s quite delicious! What’s your fave recipe on the site? I’ve just discover you and keen to explore! H x

42 Kristina Sloggett December 26, 2012 at 10:02 pm

ha – I was wondering if the kind you had was ultra fresh! I bet it would be better with stronger flavors, you’ll have to let me know! I would love to steer you towards some of my favorite recipes – are you looking for desserts only or meals as well? cheers!

43 hannah December 27, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Oooo I would love your top tips! I found your site from links to raw desserts (which I have only just started making myself having enjoyed some shop bought ones and wanting to know my treats are also wholefoods) but could definitely check out meals too. I’ll have a browse your recipes but please do let me know any suggestions! Thanks so much :)

44 Kristina Sloggett December 29, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I really got into raw this year – mostly desserts but also some food – it is so fresh and flavorful! if you are looking for desserts, this is a favorite of many of my readers: triple berry cheesecake. and a couple savory items that are really fun – artichoke shiitake ceviche and maple roasted beet salad – that one isn’t entirely raw, but uses my vegan goat cheese. :) cheers – keep in touch and let me know if you are looking for anything specific! happy new year! Kristina

45 hannah December 30, 2012 at 9:47 am

Thank you! I’m excited to check them out! I’m not raw – I think I’m vegan first and always, then wholefoods, then raw for fun! But in winter especially nothing beats roasted veggies and toasted nuts – nice idea to combine them with a raw goat’s-style cheese!
I haven’t braved using the irish moss gel again – it’s in the fridge and smells very definitely of-the-sea! It’s been a week now – do you think it’s still safe to use if I do get brave?

46 Kristina Sloggett December 30, 2012 at 9:53 am

hi Hannah! since your Irish moss sounds a bit different than mine, I would not want to say anything about it’s shelf life? I would suggest you ask the people you bought it from. the one I have has an expiration date on the packaging, and I keep it in the fridge just fine… I am curious about what you have – what does it look like? did you buy Irish moss and make the gel yourself, or did you buy the gel? (I try to use the gel within a few days, but I am SUPER careful about that kind of thing!).

47 hannah December 30, 2012 at 9:59 am

so it’s from these people: http://forager.org.uk/index.html and looks like this (after soaking): http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/04/08/nyregion/08moss-cityroom/08moss-cityroom-blog480.jpg
I bought it dry and made the gel myself so I’m not worried about the dry product, just the little tupperware of gel in the fridge. Anyway, I’m sending them an email but doubt I will hear back until after the new year so I either chance it or leave it!

48 Kristina Sloggett December 30, 2012 at 12:16 pm

yours DOES look a bit different from mine! this is what mine looks like: Irish moss so interesting! I googled, and most people say the gel / paste lasts a week… so there you go! :)