roasted artichoke lemon hummus

in appetizers,Gluten Free,recipes,snacks,Vegan

Artichokes were one of those foods that felt like a special occasion when I was a kid. Not for their rarity – more like a breakfast for dinner kind of feeling, or a snow day feeling.

My mom would steam them and serve them whole, we would pick off the leaves and dip them in this insanely good buttery sauce. It was a snow day type of dinner because it was different than normal, I suppose.

I rarely prepare artichokes whole, but I do love artichoke hearts and that tangy flavor they bring. Add a roasted flavor and wow, now you’re cookin’.

I could have eaten that whole pan of roasted artichoke.

I managed to save enough to blend into what is quite possibly the best hummus I have ever made. Tangy and tart, salty and garlicy. It is as if artichokes were meant to be roasted, and lemons were made for artichokes. Garlic officiates the union and the hummus is the honeymoon.

Even Jason was fired up about this hummus, and he claims to not like artichokes?

One last note? Please peel your chickpeas. It is not only strangely calming, it makes a much smoother hummus. I really like lemon flavor – if you don’t share my enthusiasm maybe start with one or two lemons.

roasted artichoke lemon hummus

dairy, soy, and gluten free, vegan

1 (6 ounce) jar artichoke hearts
2 cups chickpeas, peeled
2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1/3 cup tahini
juice of 2-3 lemons
handful parsley, chopped fine
sea salt + black pepper, to taste

On parchment lined baking sheet, arrange artichoke hearts in single layer. Roast at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Peel chickpeas. In food processor, combine chickpeas, garlic, tahini, lemon juice, and most of the parsley (leaving some for garnish), process until smooth. Add roasted artichoke hearts, salt and pepper. Continue to process until smooth. Transfer to serving bowl and garnish with olive oil and remaining chopped parsley. Serve with veggies and crisps.

You must have a holiday event you can make this for? Maybe just a random Friday night? You may as well plan on doubling the recipe now.

1 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 14, 2012 at 4:00 am

Artichokes were a treat in my house too. My mom used to microwave ours though. Lol!

And YES to peeling chickpeas. It’s a pain but so much better!

2 Jeanette December 14, 2012 at 5:12 am

I never peel the chickpeas when I make hummus, but I’ll have to give that try next time – love the addition of artichokes in this recipe!

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) December 14, 2012 at 5:44 am

Love artichoke hearts too. I’ve only had whole artichokes a few times, but definitely prefer the hearts. And this sounds perfect. And yes, the peeling….brilliant tip!

4 purelytwins December 14, 2012 at 8:22 am

artichokes are the best!
love lemon so this hummus sounds perfect!!
would love to dip carrots in it, oh getting hungry just thinking about it ;)

5 Allie December 14, 2012 at 8:39 am

I can (and do) eat lemons straight. Start with one or two? Nope. :)

And I have similar artichoke memories! It was always a special-day-feeling when my mom would pick some up. (And yup, she would steam them up whole. And then my dad and I would dunk away happily in piles of mayo. That was how I grew up eating asparagus too. Because apparently kids will eat veggies, as long as there’s some mayo to balance out that whole “green and good for you” thing.)

6 Heather @ Better With Veggies December 14, 2012 at 10:23 am

Oh yea, I was waiting for this recipe after your taunting on Instagram & FB. :) Gotta make this!

7 Caroline December 14, 2012 at 10:48 am

I love hummus, eat it just about daily, and look forward to trying this tangy delight!

8 Eileen December 14, 2012 at 11:45 am

We had an artichoke bush in our backyard when I was really little, so I’m pretty sure I had my first bite before the age of 3. Needless to say, I LOVE artichokes now! Blending the hearts up in a hummus sounds amazing!

9 sippitysup December 14, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I’d say “hammus party”, but that might be redunadant. Doesn’t hummus mean “party” in another language? GREG

10 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) December 14, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I LOVE artichokes and I OVE artichoke hummus! I was surprised my boys liked steamed artichokes so much. They love dipping them in butter sauce. I prefer Italian dressing or heck, even hummus!

11 Roz@weightingfor50 December 14, 2012 at 9:11 pm

OK…next time I make hummus I’m peeling the chickpeas! :) Thanks for the tip Kris.

12 india leigh December 15, 2012 at 2:02 am

I seem to have built up a fear of artichokes….not eating them, devouring the silky flesh of a roasted artichoke…..but cooking one! cutting it correctly, what to keep what to throw away??? OK, I love artichokes and hummus is a little ‘food diety’ to me…..I’m gonna do this!!! Next shopping trip, going to pop a prickly thistle head in my trolley.

Thanks for sharing!

13 Natasha December 15, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Word.

Lots to say…too much – snap shot – Miko is very ill…started a round of drugs today…

Cross all of your “crossing parts”….

Miss you, love to you…hi to papa…

14 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets December 15, 2012 at 8:02 pm

My momma made artichokes the same way with a garlic clove in the water, and then we’d dip the tip of the leaves in some melted butter and lemon juice. I still do it about once a year for old times sake, but this sounds like another great way to eat artichokes. Thanks for the recipe.

15 jobo December 17, 2012 at 6:18 am

YUM!!! This flavor combo sounds to die for!!

16 Kristina Sloggett December 20, 2012 at 12:24 pm

it is one of my favorites lately… SO GOOD!