radish tart and salad of living watercress

in appetizers,Dinner,Gluten Free,Happy Hour at Home,Meatless Monday,recipes,Vegan

I love radish!

What I learned during the preparation for this week’s Meatless Monday is that while I love them, I rarely use them.

This is going to change, right quick.

I also love watercress.

I had planned to use butter lettuce – another favorite – for the radish salad I made, but quickly changed my mind.

I randomly picked up two bunches of living watercress last week, because they looked good. All of this came together in a wonderful mix of fresh flavors atop my favorite celery ranch dressing.

salad of living watercress

dairy, egg, soy, and gluten free, vegan

makes two salads

1/4 – 1/3 cup celery ranch dressing
1/2 bunch watercress, stemmed
1/2 Asian pear, cored and sliced thin
2 radish, sliced very thin
handful Marcona almonds
sea salt

I built the salads as follows: a few tablespoons dressing spooned onto plate, followed by a pile of watercress. Continue layering with slices of pear and radish, completing with almonds and a sprinkling of salt.

gif online maker

radish tart

dairy and egg free, vegan

makes approximately 18 small tarts, 2 or 3 inches square each

1 package vegan puff pastry or pastry dough
1 cup (approximately) roasted artichoke lemon hummus
2 radish, sliced very thin
sea salt

Slice dough into squares, 2 to 3 inches each, transfer to prepared (parchment / silpat) baking sheet. Top with one tablespoon artichoke hummus, spreading to 1/4 inch of edge, leaving a perimeter of crust. Top with thin slices of radish and a pinch of salt, bake at 350 for 14-17 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve warm with watercress salad.

Fresh and flavorful – this is lunch again today.

To see even more radish recipes, visit Heather and the other #MMAZ participants!

1 Caroline December 16, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I just saw your radish photo on pinterest and my mouth dropped! I thought someone had somehow got into my computer! I just took almost an identical photo yesterday! I saw the radishes at our local market and they were so beautiful, I had to get them just to photograph! Love you site. Your photos are great and I love the animated ones…such a great idea!

2 Kristina Sloggett December 20, 2012 at 12:25 pm

ha! they are just so pretty, right? your first thought is to photograph… is your photo anywhere I can see it? :)

3 Kate@Diethood December 16, 2012 at 6:18 pm

My husband enjoys radish too much. He can eat it without dressing it up…weirdo. ;-D I like it, but in a salad like the one you made! Looks sooo good!

4 Kristina Sloggett December 20, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I am one of those weirdos like your husband – I ate just as many while slicing as I ended up with after… ;)

5 Eileen December 17, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Ooh, radish in tart form is a great idea! I love radishes, especially roasted, but for some reason I’ve never thought to put other things in the oven with them. I mean, aside from other root vegetables. :)

6 Kristina Sloggett December 20, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I want to try roasting them – that sounds so very good!

7 Heather @ Better With Veggies December 17, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Beautiful – love this simple salad, it looks so refreshing. :)

8 Kristina Sloggett December 20, 2012 at 12:23 pm

it was very refreshing! wait until I share the dressing;)

9 Richa December 18, 2012 at 12:15 am

your creativity with the simple things amazes me everytime! that is such a cute and pretty tart, pears, radishes, watercress. yes.

10 Kristina Sloggett December 20, 2012 at 12:22 pm

the salad was perfect, I will make again soon! actually, the tarts were too… ;)

11 Dorothy at ShockinglyDelicious December 18, 2012 at 4:40 am

Beautiful! Have you ever roasted them whole? It’s a revelation! http://www.shockinglydelicious.com/roasted-radishes/

12 Kristina Sloggett December 20, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Dorothy that sounds (and looks!) amazing – I will do this!

13 Jenn @therebelchick December 18, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Those little tarts are so pretty!

14 Kristina Sloggett December 20, 2012 at 11:46 am

thanks, Jenn – they were delicious if I can say so! ;)

15 Elizabeth December 18, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I love radishes. I had 5 tonight, just as is, with my cheese sandwich and tomato soup. We always ate radish sandwiches growing up, wheat bread with butter and salt and sliced radishes. Very good with hot sweet tea. Now to cut back on the butter calories I like hummus spread on a matzoh cracker then cover with sliced radishes.

This recipe sounds like summer to me. I will definitely make it.

16 Kristina Sloggett December 20, 2012 at 11:41 am

I ate that many as I was chopping them for this. I was trying to get a thin slice, and oops, that one is too thick, guess I’ll have to just eat it… ;) the hummus + radish is a good pairing, yes? I have seen the butter sandwiches many times, I KNOW those would be good!

17 Dana @ Foodie Goes Healthy December 26, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I’ve never seen vegan puff pastry. I’m excited to learn about this. Where do you find it, and does it taste as good as the buttery variation? Also, I love how you show the salad assembly. So clever. Is that a plugin or what technology do you use to do that. So cool! Thanks, Dana