sugared chai latte banana muffins

in baking,Breakfast,Dessert,Gluten Free,real life wisdom,recipes,snacks,Vegan

sugared chai latte banana muffins

I have been told many times that I am a connector, and that I create community. My open mind allows me to know all kinds of people with a variety of personalities – that certainly keeps life interesting. I introduce people, and a friendship blooms independent of me.

When I was in the spa business, it was very competitive – spas and salons rarely shared or communicated. I cultivated what I called “the breakfast club” – inviting other owners and directors to meet once a month and talk shop. Many gave me the side eye and said I was crazy – others loved the idea, and our breakfast club grew. We shared and learned from each other, and were inspired.

Just like I have friends with all kinds of varied interests and personalities, I am involved in different communities online. One constant throughout, I gravitate toward those who really are here because they love it, have fun with it, and truly want to support each other. I am inspired each and every day, and I like to share that with others (I tweet and G+ a lot…). I am incredibly lucky to have supportive and knowledgeable friends on my side as well. Community.

chai latte banana muffins

A very wise friend recently said “Community means… support without strings attached, just lifting up your fellow friends, clients, family, etc., because you want to. Period.”

Because you want to. Because you are inspired. Because accomplishments are to be celebrated, as is friendship! That one sentence up there is but one of many wise things my friend Jess said - read more about her community.

sugared chai banana muffins

sugared chai latte banana muffins

adapted from tropical banana bread with sugared macadamia crumble

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

makes 12-15 muffins

2 tablespoons flax seed, ground
1/3 cup
 water
1/2 cup coconut milk (So Delicious carton)
1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup butter (dairy and soy free)
1/2 cup maple syrup
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup brown rice flour
3/4 cup gluten free all purpose flour
1/3 cup chai powder (Natures Flavors)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
pinch sea salt

Combine flax and water, set in refrigerator to thicken.

Combine coconut milk and apple cider vinegar, set aside.

Cream together butter and maple syrup. Add bananas, milk and flax mixtures, combine. Add flours, do not stir – add chai powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt, mixing into flour then mixing together with wet ingredients, until just combined. Pour batter into prepared (sprayed, floured) muffin pan.

Bake at 350 for 22 – 25 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes clean. Enjoy warm, or cool completely and coat in sugar.

gluten free vegan banana muffins

How do you define community?

I’ll bring the muffins!

1 Jess January 4, 2013 at 2:39 am

Aw friend! your post today made my heart melt — you are so beautiful and such a great friend that I am SO thankful to have met through this pretty incredible community of ours. LOVE YOU!! :) :)

2 lindsay January 5, 2013 at 2:34 pm

could not agree more! and YOU are such a connector! Bringing us friendship to celebrate for…and MUFFINS!

3 Kristina Sloggett January 5, 2013 at 3:13 pm

and I love YOU! thank you for being a constant source of inspiration for me! these posts and your words really resonate with me, make me think and cause action! :D

4 katie January 4, 2013 at 3:31 am

Ahhh these look incredible!

Such a beautiful person you are girl :)

Beautiful wife, daughter, and friend! Oh and mom to Basil!

BTW…did you get another dog? Did I miss that?

Happy weekend! Thinking of dad <3

5 Kristina Sloggett January 5, 2013 at 3:11 pm

YES we got another dog!! Rosemary, a little sister dachshund for Basil :D We adopted her from the local rescue a few days before Christmas!

happy weekend to YOU! thinking about you these days too – so excited for you all XXO

6 Lisa B January 4, 2013 at 5:45 am

These look awesome!
And I totally resonated with Jess’ post about community as well. Sometimes I think about how the definition of community has changed so much in the last decade due to the whole online thing. I think Jess defined community so well—the key part being the “because you want to” aspect. One thing I notice with people sometimes is that there is so much unneeded competition—as women, we can really build each other up. There’s enough success to pass around and share, and so I shrink away when I feel like the tone is not like that!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts—I think the breakfast idea you had was fabulous!

7 Kristina Sloggett January 5, 2013 at 3:09 pm

my thoughts exactly, back then with spa industry and even now in the blogging community – there is enough room for everyone, enough to pass around! yep – as much as I avoid the drama, when the tone is not one of sharing and generosity, but of frustration, one upping and not playing nice, I run the other way :)

the breakfast idea was really fun – I miss those days sometimes! hey! I recently discovered the Portland blogging communities, perhaps I can resurrect it now? ;)

8 Heather @ Better With Veggies January 4, 2013 at 5:53 am

I think community is intentionally spending time with others, with each person being open and honest and growing together. It’s something that can be hard to find and that I try to hold on to dearly. What a deep concept for Friday! I actually thought about this as I was writing my thoughts for my one word resolution, I want to build my local community here in Colorado, something I haven’t really done yet and really want to. :)

9 Kristina Sloggett January 5, 2013 at 3:05 pm

heh, got kinda deep for the end of the week, yes? ;) building local community – yes, that is essential! very strange concept for me, as I am in the city I grew up in, went to college in… I have moved away and know the starting over feeling of making friends in a new city, but I am back here in Portland with many childhood friends. I do meet new people frequently – after 2.5 years of blogging I JUST discovered the Portland blog communities – there is a large food blog community and then another general community as well – it’s exciting! :D

10 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 4, 2013 at 6:18 am

“Community means… support without strings attached, just lifting up your fellow friends, clients, family, etc., because you want to. Period.” I love this so very much. And I love this post. You are such a beautiful person inside and out and I’m so blessed to have you in my community.

11 Kristina Sloggett January 5, 2013 at 3:00 pm

aw Heather, I feel the same about you! You inspire me every day!

12 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 4, 2013 at 6:38 am

I am not surprised to hear you are a connector. I’ve always felt your true self shine through here, which is portent for being able to bring people together. Food is also a great connector, and I’ve found that those who have a passion for it naturally build communities. I’d like to connect with these muffins. ;)

13 Kristina Sloggett January 5, 2013 at 2:59 pm

I was the person in high school who had friends in ALL the “cliques”, you know? ;) and that is still true today – I really have a wide variety of friends – keeps things interesting!

…and I would LOVE to connect you with these muffins, BUT I am sure they are not allowed right now! at least for the next … 11 weeks!??! ;)

14 Rachel O. January 4, 2013 at 7:47 am

I love your definition of community.

Can I make these without the xanthan gum or brown rice flour? Or with substitutes? I don’t need gluten free or vegan. However, I still follow your blog because you come up with some awesome recipes. Like this one. I just need to learn substitutions for the things I have in my home.

15 Kristina Sloggett January 5, 2013 at 2:56 pm

hi Rachel! you can absolutely make these without the gum or rice flour – since you are not gluten free, simply omit the gum and use the same amount of an all purpose flour. You can also use eggs instead of flax and water, and buttermilk in place of the coconut + apple cider vinegar.

The baking recipes have many substitutions – some of my other recipes are easier with subs – I always use a dairy free butter, but still call it butter, and cheese, etcetera, same thing. …and always feel free to ask! Enjoy!

16 janetha January 4, 2013 at 8:37 am

yum! can’t wait to make these! I LOVE CHAIIIIIIIII

17 Kristina Sloggett January 5, 2013 at 2:51 pm

me too… one of my favorites. enjoy! XO

18 Michelle January 4, 2013 at 9:07 am

I really like what your friend said about community being support with no strings attached – inspiring and so very true! Thanks for helping create such community, Kristina…..Happy New Year! :)

19 Kristina Sloggett January 5, 2013 at 2:50 pm

thank you Michelle! I think it goes along the lines of … doing what you want to do, what makes you happy, not trying to be something else or expected… and if something inspires you, share it, just because :)

happy new year to you!

20 Niki January 4, 2013 at 9:20 am

Oh my gosh, I am salivating over these! Definitely need to try this recipe this weekend!

21 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) January 4, 2013 at 9:54 am

I really love that definition of community and these muffins (with a yerba mate or chai) would be the perfect choice to chat over!

22 Kristina Sloggett January 5, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Mmm, with a nice warm yerba mate, yes! cheers!

23 Carbzilla January 4, 2013 at 10:51 am

I keep talking to my husband about community, and he looks at me like I have three heads. He really doesn’t get it. I have been without a community for a while, and it’s killing me because, like you, I am a connector but I also need to be connected.

Thank God it’s not just me.

24 Kristina Sloggett January 5, 2013 at 2:44 pm

oh, I am sorry to hear that – I have felt that way before too (when I moved to Sunriver to open the spa there). how can we change this for you?

25 Carbzilla January 5, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Thanks, we’re working on it. We’re trying to switch neighborhoods up here in Seattle but still have a way better time when we come down to our place on PDX. Let’s get together with some bloggers this spring. That’ll help. :)

26 Kristina Sloggett January 5, 2013 at 11:12 pm

I would LOVE to do that! maybe we could even do something dog friendly some time – Basil is getting used to his new sister ;)

27 jobo January 4, 2013 at 12:22 pm

awwww!! LOVE your post!! And love your story of community and how you cultivated it in such an industry that was so competitive. Sometimes I just wish more people would let down barriers like that and just be PEOPLE. Ya know? Anyway, you ARE a connector, and a beautiful soul. I can’t say it enough. And these muffins? um, want. again!

28 Kristina Sloggett January 5, 2013 at 2:29 pm

it’s funny you say that, about letting down barriers and just being. I actually cultivated community in the spa industry a couple of times – one in Portland, and again later when I was opening a spa in a resort community in Central Oregon – even though it was a small town in many ways, many people in the spa industry were more relaxed and open – more worldly. I had a much easier time working across competitive lines there! interesting.

and I wish I could send these muffins your way! XO

29 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 4, 2013 at 4:40 pm

I absolutely LOVE this post! I would totally describe you this way. Chatting with you always makes me feel relaxed and more open minded. I love how you explain community. I definitely feel that way with you!

Oh and these muffins…these muffins look and sound amazing!

30 Kristina Sloggett January 5, 2013 at 2:25 pm

and I feel that way with you, my friend! you are a generous and fun part of my community, for sure, and I am grateful for your support and friendship!

31 Shirley @ gfe January 4, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Oh, I so agree on community and connections. They are the most important things on earth! “No man is an island.” You are amazing with all your connections and creating a community!

Of couse, I love these muffins. Saw them ealier and drooled over them. No kidding!

xo,

32 Kristina Sloggett January 5, 2013 at 2:23 pm

no man is an island, and there is room for everybody! :) honestly, I feel this year has been so distracting for me that I often failed my communities – I am heading into the new year with the intention to give back as much as I have been given! :)

33 Kelli January 5, 2013 at 5:11 pm

What a great post… both the recipe and sentiments! I’ve recently gone on a gluten-free, soy-free challenge, and when I saw the yummy-looking photo, my first thought was “oh ~ I’ll have to adapt those” and lo and behold they are already gluten & soy free! Thank you!

And your musings on community are wonderful… so true and a beautiful way to express it!

34 Kristina Sloggett January 5, 2013 at 11:16 pm

hi Kelli! I love when people come here thinking that – it happens often and they are so excited when they realize no adaptions necessary! :) cheers!

35 Purely Twins January 5, 2013 at 8:12 pm

omg oh what we would do for one of these ;)

36 Laura (Tutti Dolci) January 5, 2013 at 9:10 pm

These muffins look incredible, I love the flavors!

37 Kristina Sloggett January 5, 2013 at 11:15 pm

thanks, Laura – we loved them too! :)

38 Cheryll January 6, 2013 at 7:28 am

I am new to your blog but am so enjoying the posts and the recipes…..I was wondering if you have substituted any other flour for the rice flour you used…I am also intolerant to rice as well as gluten, dairy, and eggs…..having a hard time finding recipes to bake with that turn out like baked goods! Oh how I miss that w/ a cup of tea or coffee…..thanks so much for what you do!

39 Kristina Sloggett January 6, 2013 at 10:37 am

hi Cheryll, I have made this recipe and variations of it several times, but have always used rice flour in part. If you can use tapioca flour, maybe a blend of 1/2 cup tapioca and 1/2 cup all purpose to replace the rice? I am trying to find something with a similar consistency, and tapioca flour is lighter, finer like rice flour. I have not tried these, so the end result may be different (more dense?); if you try it let me know?

here is another muffin recipe you could try, the result is very fluffy crumbly like the muffins you miss: cherry zucchini crumb muffins Cheers!

40 Cheryll January 6, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Kristina….thank you so very much….I am going to give it a try and I will let you know how they turn out! I so miss baking but most recipes call for rice flour and I just skip over them b/c I get discouraged when I try and substitute and it fails…these sound so yummy and I can tolerate tapioca …will give the cherry ones a try also….

41 Kristina Sloggett January 7, 2013 at 7:35 pm

I hope it works for you, having not tried I cannot vouch for the result (I have used tapioca in small amounts, and have also used only gf all purpose before, so… I’m hoping for the best!). the other recipe is good to go as is for you! cheers!

42 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets January 6, 2013 at 7:04 pm

If you serve these muffins, I’ll come to your community party, and I’m an introvert.
For me, community equals support.

43 Kristina Sloggett January 7, 2013 at 7:34 pm

it’s a deal, I’ll bring muffins! :)

and yes – community is all about support.

44 JJ - 84thand3rd January 7, 2013 at 1:30 am

Oh these sound naughty and not too naughty at the same time! It is amazing the number of people I have met through blogging, Sydney had quite a good little community going :)

45 Kristina Sloggett January 7, 2013 at 7:33 pm

it’s quite funny to discover such a large community of bloggers near you, isn’t it? just recently finding the community here in Portland has been surprising and fun! cheers to you!

46 Kath (My Funny Little Life) January 7, 2013 at 1:54 am

I’m just coming to realize how much connectedness means to me, and how much I’ve lacked it in my life until quite recently … Starting my blog was a step out of that misery. I’m so happy we’ve “met” and become friends! I’m ready to really open up finally … and it feels so good. It makes me feel alive.

47 Kristina Sloggett January 7, 2013 at 7:32 pm

that makes me SO SO HAPPY, Kath!! I am thrilled for you, and cannot wait to follow on this new journey. you deserve so much blissful happiness!

48 Megan January 8, 2013 at 6:32 am

Looks yummy!!!! Can I use almond flour in this recipe? :-)

49 Kristina Sloggett January 8, 2013 at 6:44 am

hi Megan, I have not tried almond flour with this recipe, I would start with replacing one of the flours – the gf all purpose (similar weight), but cannot vouch for results – let me know if you try it!

50 Jackie January 8, 2013 at 12:41 pm

these are perfect!! I made them this morning, the only thing is they were sticky because I rolled in sugar before they were cool OOOPS lol

but thank you!! my daughter loves them, and she got to help me bake!

51 Kristina Sloggett January 9, 2013 at 9:34 am

hmmm, a nice crunchy sugar coating then? ;) so happy you guys liked them, Jackie – cheers!

52 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) January 9, 2013 at 10:31 am

I commented here this morning and I’m pretty sure it went to spam (because it happened on like 5 different blogs at the same time). Anyway, I’m re-commenting because you deserve it. :) These muffins need to be in our dream bakery. :)

53 Kristina Sloggett January 9, 2013 at 1:56 pm

yep! judging from how many people have made them already, this would be a sell out ;)

54 Caroline January 9, 2013 at 6:39 pm

saw these from Shirley GFE yesterday, made them today, my coworkers now love spabettie!! Everything about these, perfect! I used all GF ap flour, it worked just fine, and my chai was liquid concentrate, but probably same in flavor.

Thankyou, LOVE these muffins!

55 Kristina Sloggett January 10, 2013 at 10:29 pm

aww, YAY! so happy you like them Caroline!

56 felecia January 15, 2013 at 8:43 am

Dairy/soy free butter? Not sure what this is…?

57 Kristina Sloggett January 15, 2013 at 10:47 am

the one I use is from the brand Earth Balance – they have several non dairy butter substitutes – non hydrogenated, non soy.

58 Heather January 18, 2013 at 3:13 pm

You’re killin me! These look like donuts! Mmmmmm I’ll be in your community any day ;)

59 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 6:21 pm

aww, thanks Heather! ;) yes, almost like donut holes, right? Mmm…

60 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen January 20, 2013 at 6:18 am

One of the things that I love most about food (and food culture, in its sociological, historical, and anthropological sense) is that it has always helped to define community, bringing people together in ways unlike anything else. I have to say that although in this day and age centering social or business functions around food is looked down upon (because of the weight problems) I think it is joyful. :)

That was a sort of a very deep response–as deep as a response can be on a Sunday morning while waiting for the coffee to kick in anyway–to a recipe that really just inspires “YUM!”

61 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 6:11 pm

I agree it is joyful! Food does bring people together – I sure love to have loved ones over and FEED them! My favorite, actually…

62 Doc's assist January 21, 2013 at 8:57 am

made these for the second time this weekend, enjoying them with coworkers today (boo, we all are working – we decided a potluck was in order, and we have the Inauguration on tvs in wait room).

had to come tell you EVERYONE loves these!! perfect muffins, thankyou!

63 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 5:40 pm

thank YOU! so happy you are enjoying them so much, and honored they were brought along for a work potluck! (I worked today too – hope that helps).

64 Kelly Smith April 9, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Hi and thanks for this recipe which might convince my daughter to eat a banana muffin. Can you explain what the chai powder is? Does it just have chai spices or does it have tea in it too? Would there be any non-specialty substitute that might work? Thanks again.

65 Kristina Sloggett April 14, 2013 at 10:13 pm

hi Kelly! the one I buy is vegan and gluten free, that’s why I buy it from a specialty brand. I know I have seen chai powders in the store – in the coffee / tea section (you know where the “International Coffee” is?) :) you could use the chai spices – cinnamon, clove, cardamom…

66 valerie May 3, 2013 at 8:40 am

anyway to get a print friendly button on here? printing it now means i have to print everything on the page. Love the delicious recipes!

67 Kristin (Meals Outside the Box) July 31, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I love the message and the recipe. I think the world would be a better place if we could all sit down and talk over some muffins.