spicy buffalo flatbreads

in Breakfast,Dinner,Gluten Free,recipes,snacks,Vegan

buffalo flatbreads

Man, I am really having fun over here now!

You know when you crave something, many people say that means your body is deficient or needing some key ingredient? Lately I have been wondering what is in buffalo sauce, because I have been craving it constantly! Maybe I just crave more football? (Go Packers! Go Ducks for keeping your coach, yea!)

Knowing me, I probably crave the football get together. Since our holiday entertaining was fairly seamless, I am ready to have another party at our place!

Whatever it is, I have been wanting that tangy spicy sauce on everything.

Even my flatbreads.

spicy buffalo flatbreads

These flatbreads are a natural fit for Laura’s strange but good designation, I think.

You guys, I wasn’t even trying. I just really crave buffalo flavored things right now. All the buffalo flavored things. I think I’m hot sauce deficient.

These buffalo flatbreads became the vehicle for – surprise – a buffalo flavored thing I recently made. Recipe coming soon, I promise. They are also perfect for a scramble sandwich – we have enjoyed several of the vegan scramble variety with spinach and sauteed mushrooms – yum.

spicy buffalo flatbread sandwich

spicy buffalo flatbreads

egg, soy, dairy and gluten free, vegan

makes 7 three inch flatbreads

1/2 cup raw cashews
3/4 cup coconut milk (So Delicious)
1/3 cup buffalo sauce (Franks)
1/3 cup gluten free all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum

Combine cashews, milk, and buffalo sauce in high speed blender, blend on highest speed to a smooth liquid. In mixing bowl, whisk together flour and xanthan gum. Pour cashew milk into dry ingredients, whisk until just combined. Using 1/4 cup scoop, form pancakes onto prepared (buttered, sprayed) griddle over medium heat. Flatbreads will not bubble, will easily come up to turn after less than one minute. Flip and cook another half minute or so, until cooked through.

spicy buffalo flatbreads

Do you like hot sauce? Any good cravings lately? Any strange combinations?

1 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 10, 2013 at 9:48 pm

I love that you are strange without even trying. ;)

These look amazing. I can never have enough spiciness in my life… I’m not happy until my nose it dripping and I’m chugging water. Now if I could just re-create Frank’s in low sodium way… hmmmm…

Perfect submission. Thank you so much for linking up!! P.S. Trying TVP savory oats STAT.

2 Kristina Sloggett January 10, 2013 at 9:50 pm

I know – it just sort of happens, this strange but good thing. ;) and yes, could you get on that low sodium Franks, please??

happy Friday! XO

3 Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count January 11, 2013 at 4:07 am

Your flatbreads sound really good. Could I do this in a food processor do you think? Sounds tasty and I can think of so many ways to use them. Thanks, Kristina!

4 Kristina Sloggett January 11, 2013 at 6:50 am

hi Fran – YES you can absolutely use a food processor for this – I have! It is thin liquid at first, and that made mine leak a bit at the lid, but not a big deal if you have a little towel handy. Enjoy!

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 11, 2013 at 4:44 am

I think I actually have everything to make those! Maybe this weekend. It’s supposed to be a wet one. Perfect for being in the kitchen. Happy Friday my dear!

6 Kristina Sloggett January 11, 2013 at 6:48 am

yep – same here, actually icy here right now. good weekend to just stay in and be cozy! happy Friday, friend! XO

7 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 11, 2013 at 5:38 am

You know I’m a sucker for flatbread and hot sauce! YUM! I’m having a not so secret love affair with Frank’s these days…

This looks amazing! I hope you have an incredible weekend!

8 Kristina Sloggett January 11, 2013 at 6:47 am

I have been all over Frank lately ;) it really is this weird craving I have?? I think you might like a Franks flatbread… have a fantastic weekend, dear!

9 Heather @ Better With Veggies January 11, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Yay!! Your first strangebutgood recipe (I think?!) and it looks so good it’s not strange to me! :) I think I must be deficient in Buffalo Sauce too.

10 Kristina Sloggett January 11, 2013 at 2:33 pm

yes, my first one! I make strange combinations of food all the time, but never think to capture them… this one was happening and I thought it fit ;)

11 Madison January 12, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Where did you get the buffalo wings, and are they vegan? They look so lovely!

12 Kristina Sloggett January 12, 2013 at 4:20 pm

hi Madison!

I made them! I’ll be sharing them soon.

Cheers, Kristina

13 Nicole January 12, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Hi! This is amazing. My bf showed me Franks 2 years ago and I’ve been cooking with it ever since. May I ask what that “Buffalo Chicken” looking item is in the main pic? Is it Gardein or something you made from scratch? Thanks!

14 Kristina Sloggett January 12, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I love Franks, SO much.

and THAT thing is a buffalo “wing” I made – I’ll be sharing soon!

15 Chris January 13, 2013 at 6:04 am

At the moment I love anything hot, may it sauce or just a chili tossed in. Maybe because the weather is the opposite right now.

16 Kristina Sloggett January 13, 2013 at 10:08 pm

I agree, Chris – right now especially I am using so much hot sauce, and adding very hot peppers to recipes. probably because it is 22 degrees here… :)

17 Suzanne @ RollWithIt January 14, 2013 at 11:03 am

That scramble looks delicious with the flat bread! Love the hot sauce – I usually crave BBQ sauce in the summer – sweet, salty, caramel. I came up with a delicious BBQ that is not full of nitrates and crap. Can be used on meat or grilled veggies – sooooo gooood! Hmmm, just talking about it make me want some with some hot sauce on the side. Thanks! Now I’ve got the cravings!

18 Kristina Sloggett January 15, 2013 at 11:35 am

this buffalo craving I am having is similar to a BBQ sauce craving I get in the warmer months… LOVE it!

19 Brittani January 17, 2013 at 6:56 pm

I made these tonight and they were SO good! I paired them “hamburger style” with a bean patty, and I was very happy with the results. My husband is a die-hard Frank’s fan, and he approved. Thanks!

20 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 6:55 pm

yay, Brittani, so happy to hear you like them! kinda fun, right? anything buffalo…

21 Coren A. March 17, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Hello there, I tried these and they were delicious! I have to ask, what are those buffalo wing items? I’ve been trying to make vegan buffalo wings and they always come out horrid! May I have the recipe to these? Thanks!

22 Kristina Sloggett March 20, 2013 at 6:07 am

hi Coren!

I will be sharing the buffalo wings soon – I have made the final recipe a couple times, the next one will be the photo shoot and sharing here! SO happy you like the flatbread as well!

cheers, Kristina

23 Janet January 28, 2014 at 11:56 am

Not sure if I like Franks Buffalo or Sriracha better. I’m obsessive about both!
Could I substitute Chia Seeds for the thickener instead of Xanthan gum?

24 Kristina Sloggett January 30, 2014 at 2:02 pm

hi Janet – I know exactly what you mean – we always have (at LEAST one) bottle of each in the house! I have not made these with chia, but I make my spinach pancakes with flax or chia – let me know how it works if you try?