tangy spicy buffalo hummus

in appetizers,Gluten Free,recipes,snacks,Vegan

spicy buffalo hummus

An old friend of mine has been belly dancing since, like, five years old or something. Her mom used to dance and is now a teacher, and my friend grew up learning from her mom. She is exceptional, and I am not just saying that as a friend. She dances in the Egyptian style, and can do a seven minute drum solo – isolated movements, precise and impressive.

Because I have been to so many of her performances over the years (and she used to dance at my birthday parties!), I became quite familiar with many of the aspects of belly dance, and with the other local performers.

Fast forward to present, my friend now lives in another state, and I am spending my January taking my first belly dance class! I am taking a private class with one other friend, and it has been so much fun! We begin each class with some lovely yoga stretches and planks (can I ever get away from planks? good thing I love them), and then get right into the moves!

This class is fusion – a blend of many styles, which makes it so fun. Some things come easy – the hip moves are fun for me, while others are difficult to grasp – the actual belly movements and doing things with my left hand – doesn’t always feel natural. I’ll get there, and in the meantime, I’m having fun!

So – this hummus.

Bummus? Buffamus? Snuffleupagus? Hustleupagus?

I’ll stick with buffalo hummus, I guess.

I know each time I make a new hummus I say this one, THIS is the best one! But really, I mean it this time. As you are all now aware, I have a hot sauce deficiency – specifically buffalo sauce. This big craving will not cease, and that’s okay.

spicy tangy buffalo hummus

tangy spicy buffalo hummus

dairy, soy, and gluten free, vegan

2 cups chickpeas, peeled
1/3 cup buffalo sauce, more or less to your heat preference
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
1/3 cup tahini
juice of 1 lemon
sea salt + black pepper, to taste

Peel chickpeas. In food processor, combine chickpeas, buffalo sauce, garlic, tahini, and lemon juice, process until smooth. Add salt and pepper. Continue to process until smooth. Transfer to serving bowl and garnish with more buffalo sauce and chopped celery. Serve with celery, other veggies and pretzels.

spicy buffalo hummus

Spell check wanted to change snuffleupagus to asparagus.

Have you ever taken a dance class?

1 Heather January 15, 2013 at 3:24 am

Mmm I love buffalo everything- I’m going to make this for K’s bday party this weekend!

2 Kristina Sloggett January 15, 2013 at 10:53 am

oh, great – enjoy!! (and happy birthday K!!) :D

3 Abby January 15, 2013 at 4:15 am

Other than ballet/tap when I was like, five years old, I’ve never taken a dance class. It sounds like so much fun though, which is kind of why I like aerobics-type exercise things (Jillian, etc.) because it’s a little bit like learning a routine. That sounds lame, but whatever.

What isn’t lame is hummus. I love it, although chickpea skins remind me of fish scales and freak me out ;)

4 Kristina Sloggett January 15, 2013 at 10:53 am

oh, see, that is the part of things like Jillian I DON’T Like, the dancey parts (hers I can do okay, some I lose my place and… it’s over! ;) ) also why I taught STEP class in college, no coordination really necessary.

and chickpea skins! that is why I ALWAYS peel!

5 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 15, 2013 at 4:32 am

I was a tap dancer growing up. I LOVED it! I soooo wanted to be a Rockette! I am not that long unfortunately. A girl can dream…

I have never put hot sauce in my hummus, but I almost always cover mine with Frank’s. I love the heat with the cool hummus!

I love that you can’t get away from planks! Tony hates them and I LOVE them. Every time I put them on his workout he moans and groans. They are the best exercise EVER!

I hope you have a great day my friend!

6 Kristina Sloggett January 15, 2013 at 10:51 am

I have wanted to learn tap for SO long – I think that is next. and I have always wanted to be a rockette too!! I was so intrigued by them when I was a kid… they always look like they’re having such fun!

the planks are easier than some of the dance moves… really! :)

7 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 15, 2013 at 5:08 am

Oh you know I’m loving the looks of this hummus. So yummy. And how fun on the belly dancing. There was a lady in one of my ballet classes that also did belly dancing. Actually there is a group that always performs in October during the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure.

8 Kristina Sloggett January 15, 2013 at 10:49 am

oh that is cool – I love any kind of performances during races!

and yes – you’d like this hummus!

9 Ashley F. January 15, 2013 at 8:18 am

Go on with your spicy self, girl! I love me some heat, too, especially of the buffalo sauce variety – so I’ll definitely be whipping this up this weekend!

10 Kristina Sloggett January 15, 2013 at 10:48 am

I just cannot get enough of the buffalo lately – I know you’ll love this hummus!

11 Angie January 15, 2013 at 8:43 am

I did Mexican ballet folkorico dancing for a few years as a kid, and I took 1 belly dancing class as an adult. I loved it! I should see if I can find another one local…
This hummus sounds/looks amazing.

12 Kristina Sloggett January 15, 2013 at 10:46 am

I bet you can find something, I hope so! :) I am having fun with it.

13 Nichole January 15, 2013 at 8:46 am

Good gawd do I love hummus. Spicy too – sounds divine.

I want pics, post, etc on this belly class. GREAT idea – way to start the new year off with a bang!

14 Kristina Sloggett January 15, 2013 at 10:45 am

it IS divine!

okay, I will share more about belly dancing soon!

15 Jess January 15, 2013 at 9:02 am

OMG genius!! My husband looooves buffalo sauce but I have yet to come up with a version of hummus that he’ll love. THIS is the one I think that will do it for him though, the spicier the better! How hot is this version with the amt of buffalo sauce you suggest using?

ALSO? Belly dancing — awesome!!

16 Kristina Sloggett January 15, 2013 at 10:45 am

for me, buffalo sauce isn’t really that hot? I guess I am used to it – and he may be too? maybe start with less and taste? you can always add more… we LOVE it :)

17 natalie@thesweetslife January 15, 2013 at 10:31 am

I guess planks are required for belly dancing! What a fun thing to do!!

18 Kristina Sloggett January 15, 2013 at 10:43 am

ha! warm ups… some of the dance moves are harder for me than planks!

19 Allie January 15, 2013 at 10:38 am

I have wanted to take bellydance lessons forever!! You have no idea how jealous I am that you get them–with a private-for-friends class, at that. And you know what? I’ve never had buffalo sauce. I don’t even know where you’d buy it! Okay, I’m assuming the ketchup + BBQ sauce aisle of any grocery store, but still…

20 Kristina Sloggett January 15, 2013 at 11:37 am

I have been having SO much fun with them! and yes, it helps to have a friend there too :D

yes, the buffalo sauce is… usually in the condiment aisle? sometimes I have a difficult time finding it in different stores… look for the brand Franks ;)

21 Gary January 15, 2013 at 10:48 am

I really like the bite that a good buffalo sauce adds to food but have never tried it as an addition to hummus. I’ll have to whip up a batch in a few days when my ghost pepper hummus is gone.

I found a great ghost pepper mix at the local Savory Spice Co. store called Ghost Pepper Salt. As the name implies its a mix of dried ghost pepper and salt. The bottle that I got is quite hot so if you are sensitive to chili heat you should use it carefully.

22 Kristina Sloggett January 15, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Gary, it will definitely be much milder than your ghost pepper hummus! I love the tangy spice it has…

I will be on the lookout for this ghost pepper salt – we are spice lovers here, Jason more so than me, so I know to start with a small amount (you can always add, you cannot take away, right?) :)

23 jobo January 15, 2013 at 10:54 am

WHOA – mind blown – this looks delish!!!! I definitely am going to try this!!! And yay for belly dancing, I can’t wait to hear how it goes!!

24 Kristina Sloggett January 15, 2013 at 1:33 pm

yay! I know you’ll like it… we are on our second batch. and belly dancing – yes! I will share more soon, everyone wants to know. :D

25 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 15, 2013 at 11:54 am

Belly dancing?! You are the coolest person I know. It’s official.

26 Kristina Sloggett January 15, 2013 at 1:37 pm

ha ha ha well aren’t you funny ;)

27 Eileen January 15, 2013 at 12:14 pm

My first question was “what is buffalo sauce?” but I solved that by letting me google it for me. :) This hummus sounds really good! Who doesn’t want more spice in their diet? I certainly do.

28 Kristina Sloggett January 15, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Eileen, if you like spicy flavorful heat, you will probably enjoy buffalo sauce flavor – to me it is mild, and has a unique tangy flavor – so good!

29 Caroline January 15, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Bellydance!! You go girl! Is this cry spicy or would a wuss like me enjoy it? ;)

30 Kristina Sloggett January 16, 2013 at 9:12 am

ha – I love that you describe it “cry spicy” because I know exactly what you mean!! I am not a fan of hot sauces that are just that – hot without FLAVOR. this is mild to me, and VERY flavorful!

31 Tammy January 15, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Terrific idea! I love hot sauce and in particular, buffalo sauce. I will definitely make this. And, I love to take zumba classes.

32 Kristina Sloggett January 16, 2013 at 9:11 am

buffalo sauce is my favorite… and zumba? I have still not tried it. (I am one of those people with little coordination for dancey type classes – if I know the steps I’m fine, but learning something new and trying to keep heart rate up? difficult for me!) :)

33 Kelly Klepfer January 15, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Yummy. Going to try this. I like Snuffleupagus for the name. The color is close, right?

34 Kristina Sloggett January 16, 2013 at 9:09 am

ha! I just love Snuffleupagus – and YES, same color!!

35 Needful Things January 15, 2013 at 10:16 pm

I was just about to make pumpkin dip (with tahini) and regular hummus for the kids & now wish I had buffalo sauce on hand so I could make this instead. Looks awesome!

36 Kristina Sloggett January 16, 2013 at 9:08 am

next time, you will do this! :) (tahini pumpkin dip sounds GOOOOOOOD!)

37 Shirley @ gfe January 16, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Everyone is sharing buffalo recipes right now! I bet this one would convert non-hummus lovers, too. I’m not anti-hummus by any means, but certain folks in my house turn up their noses at hummus. ;-) LOL on spell check. Spell check and auto correct are going to be the true downfall of America!

xo,
Shirley

38 Kristina Sloggett January 16, 2013 at 9:50 pm

I know, seems I am not the only one craving the tangy buffalo flavor these days – or everyone is just planning ahead for Superbowl ;)

39 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen January 20, 2013 at 6:30 am

Belly dancing?! How fun! I always think about how I’d like to reach out of my comfort zone and take a class of some sort, but I never do. Hip hop dance has always intrigued me. [Nerd girl goes hip-hop. :)]

Yummus to the hummus! I was at Costco yesterday and was sad to see that they had replaced my beloved Sabra Tuscan Garden Herb hummus with their Super Bowl Buffalo-Style Hummus. I didn’t buy it, because I was a little concerned I wouldn’t love it and it was GIANT…but now I have a recipe I can try instead. [And yours is probably better.]

40 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 5:58 pm

girl you should TOTALLY TAKE HIP HOP!! I also want to tap dance – that will be next!

I need to get to Costco more, clearly. or just continue to think things up in my head…

41 Janet January 25, 2013 at 11:03 am

Could you use hot sauce instead of buffalo sauce? I like Frank’s hot sauce but the buffalo variety has lots of butter in it. Trying to keep my WW points in check :)

42 Kristina Sloggett January 25, 2013 at 11:19 am

hi Janet! you absolutely could use whatever hot sauce you like – it may not have that “buffalo” tangy flavor to it, but it would still be tasty.

I do not know what the WW points are based on, but just fyi: I am looking at my two bottles of Franks – (Franks Original Red Hot and Franks Wings Buffalo). per serving, they both show 0 for calories, fat, carb and protein. the only thing they measure for is Sodium (Original is 190 vs. Buffalo at 460), and Potassium (25 mg for Buffalo). The “natural butter type flavor” has been said (by the company) to be a dairy free (vegan) flavoring only – it is not butter.

just thought I’d pass that along – enjoy the hummus!

43 Janet January 25, 2013 at 11:26 am

That’s good to know, thanks! I always thought that buffalo sauce was just hot sauce with butter added. I can’t wait to try the hummus!

44 Kristina Sloggett January 25, 2013 at 11:36 am

I actually did too (I think that is the IDEA behind homemade??), and was happy to dig around and find *somewhere* on the internets that the company says this is not butter! :)