maca power shots – Wellness Wednesday

in Breakfast,Dessert,Gluten Free,raw,recipes,snacks,Vegan

maca power smoothie

I begin each day with a juice, sometimes a smoothie. I choose ingredients that bring natural energy, like the superfood maca. If you have heard of maca, chances are you’ve heard the of the purported libido enhancing qualities. No doubt that is a positive benefit, but the first thing I think of is boundless energy.

Maca has an earthy, natural flavor that I have grown to love – if I measure more than a tablespoon into my smoothie, ah well! To me the flavor is mild, and I gravitate toward natural tastes anyway.

These shots get natural sweetness from another favorite – Medjool dates. Banana brings sweetness too, and the nuts give a protein boost (I used a combination of cashews and almonds – I love the creamy flavor cashews bring!

More about benefits of maca.

maca power shots

maca power shots

dairy, soy, egg, gluten free, vegan, raw

makes 4 shots, or one large delicious shake

1/3 cup total raw almonds and cashews, soaked overnight
1 1/2 cups coconut water
1-2 large Medjool dates, pitted
1 banana, peeled
1 tablespoon maca powder
fresh grated nutmeg

Soak almonds and cashews overnight. Discard soaking water.

In high powered blender, combine almonds and cashews with water – blending at highest power into liquid. Add dates, banana, and maca, blend until smooth. Pour into glass and top with fresh grated nutmeg.

maca power shot

Do you have a favorite energizing smoothie ingredient?

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 16, 2013 at 5:03 am

I’ve never tried maca. I love spirulina though. I really do feel like it’s energizing and not in a jittery coffee way either. I found a vegan, GF brown rice protein powder with spirulina and use that daily in my oatmeal. I also have tablets I take before longer runs.

2 Kristina Sloggett January 16, 2013 at 9:07 am

I have those spirulina tablets, too – they work pretty well (hard to chew, and I love the green teeth!).

3 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 16, 2013 at 5:14 am

I’ve read about macs, but have not tried it yet. I do love earthy flavors…I love hemp protein powder…so, I’m thinking I would really like this! That power shot sounds amazing. Dates are such an amazing natural sweetener.

4 Kristina Sloggett January 16, 2013 at 7:59 am

you should give it a try… perhaps I could send you a little in a jar? yes, this I will do! :D

5 Nichole January 16, 2013 at 7:47 am

Don’t judge, but I’ve never heard of maca. Sounds good, and reminds me of mocha, which is also a fave:)

6 Kristina Sloggett January 16, 2013 at 7:58 am

that’s okay… no judgement here ever! you could mix it into a mocha…

7 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 16, 2013 at 7:51 am

I used to use maca… I heard it was good for the sex drive. LOL! Actually, I need to get some more. Someone told me it was good for healing post-illness… was that you?

8 Kristina Sloggett January 16, 2013 at 7:57 am

maybe? I say lots of things. ;) but YES – perhaps now is the PERFECT time to see if that is true! hope you are feeling better, friend.

9 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty January 16, 2013 at 9:06 am

I LOVE macca – I had tons of it while trying to get preggo (apparently it has major fertility benefits) but was told to stop having it when I got preggo. I miss the malty-ness. I LOVE it in homemade almond milk, sprinkled on popcorn with nooch and salt… and in smoothies! Only a few more weeks until I can have it’s deliciousness again (provided it’s ok during breast feeding!)

10 Kristina Sloggett January 16, 2013 at 9:13 am

yes, I heard this about fertility – and apparently it is true! ;) I cannot believe you are so close – seems like just yesterday you announced it! SO excited for you, mama!

11 Roz@weightignfor50 January 16, 2013 at 10:19 am

I’m a big smoothie fan. Know what else I’m a fan of??? The glasses you put your maca shots in! They’re GORGEOUS!!!!!!

12 Kristina Sloggett January 16, 2013 at 11:26 am

thanks!! fun, right?

13 Jillian January 16, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I love earthy flavors too. A cup of brewed chai, chilled and in place of the water, would go awesome with the rest of the ingredients! We’re on the same “energy” wavelength today. I’m bouncing off the walls. :)

14 Kristina Sloggett January 16, 2013 at 9:48 pm

ooh, that sounds even better – chai with the banana and maca – yum!

15 Liz January 16, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Boundless energy? I need these maca shots in my life!!!

16 Kristina Sloggett January 16, 2013 at 9:48 pm

yes you do! :)

17 Lisa B January 16, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Yum! I am slightly obsessed with maca… It’s funny, when I first started adding it to stuff, the smell and flavor was not appealing to me, but now I just love to drink in that earthiness when I open the bag! Lol.
This sounds like a great combo… I’m always looking for new ways to consume it!

18 Kristina Sloggett January 16, 2013 at 9:47 pm

I was the same way, I never minded the flavor but the smell wasn’t doing anything for me – now I open the bag and stick my face in it! ;) LOVE the flavor! I also made maca pancakes recently… posting soon!

19 Medeja January 16, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Sounds like a great drink.. Nice that dates and bananas are used to sweeten it naturally :)

20 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I love natural sweeteners!

21 whiness January 17, 2013 at 6:27 am

Wow! It looks so delicious! Almonds and cocnut water… It even sounds like a perfect dessert :)

22 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 7:02 pm

indeed it does! :)

23 Denia January 17, 2013 at 7:32 am

Sounds amazing – can’t wait to try it I’ve been taking Maca supplements any suggestions on where to buy the powder? Recommended brands? Thanks!!

24 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 7:00 pm

you might be able to find it in bulk, or in the health food section? I buy mine online, my current favorite is this one. do you like the supplements?

25 Debi January 17, 2013 at 10:43 am

Love this! Maca is one of my favorite things to add to my smoothies and “milkshakes.” Definitely a powerhouse I keep in my pantry. :D

26 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 6:57 pm

powerhouse indeed! it’s one of my favorites too!

27 janetha January 17, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Yum! Look so good. My fave protein powder from Onnit is cocoamaca and so yum.

28 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 6:56 pm

I still need to try this Onnit… ;)

29 Felicia January 19, 2013 at 11:15 am

I would love to try this where do I get the maca powder from?

30 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 6:13 pm

hi Felicia – you may be able to find it in a health food bulk section? I bought mine online here –> maca powder

31 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen January 20, 2013 at 6:32 am

I’m not a super smoothie queen, but I did purchase maca on a whim from the bulk spice/tea section at one of the local natural food stores. I wish I had had something more creative to do with it other than put it in my oatmeal, but that’s pretty much what happens with most things I don’t know what to do with…

I did not, however, notice any libido enhancing qualities. Maybe I need to use more. ;)

32 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 5:57 pm

yes. use more ;)

33 Wendy @ La Phemme Phoodie January 25, 2013 at 7:34 am

I’ve heard of maca but never tried it. Definitely intrigued by the fact that it might increase my energy. I would love to do that naturally instead of drinking endless amount of coffee. Will have to try this.

34 Kristina Sloggett January 25, 2013 at 11:25 am

I find it gives me great energy! I haven’t been drinking coffee regularly for a while, my daily juicing gives me enough of a wake up :) it may take a bit to get used to the taste (not bad, just … earthy!) :)

35 Fuad April 28, 2013 at 1:27 am

Hi I where can I find the Maca or Maca root powder . Please advise.