grapefruit meltaway cookies

in baking,Dessert,Gluten Free,snacks,Vegan

grapefruit meltaway cookies

When I was growing up, my favorite cookie was something like a meltaway. My mom made these perfect cookies that had finely chopped walnuts in them, and they were boomerang shaped and coated in powdered sugar.

Mom called them butter crescents. I called them boomerangs.

She rarely made them – they were from a cookbook that had it’s own flour blend. Then every recipe simply used a certain measure of that flour blend. Hmm, I wonder if mom was ahead of her time and these were gluten free? Sounds like many gluten free flour blends I hear about now

These cookies are a bit reminiscent of those old boomerangs of my youth (although now I know those boomerangs are more like a wedding cookie, only shaped differently) in that they melt in your mouth. These have that added zing of citrus I love.

Mildly sweet, with a crunchy exterior and a soft middle – these are quick to make and perfectly delicious.

grapefruit cookies

This past Monday, my friend Liz shared her orange cooler cookies. We had a snow day on Monday, so I made these that very same morning. We ate some warm, while watching the snow.

Liz and I both love to bake, and I love every thing she makes. We once talked about how fun it would be to open a bakery together. This has now become the basis for many of our conversations – we keep adding things to our menu. We decided our bakery needs several flavors of this cookie.

Notes on my changes:

grapefruit juice and zest in place of the orange

gluten free all purpose flour (to which I added 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum as well)

dairy (and soy) free butter substitute to keep vegan

That’s it! Everything else was following her recipe – go see that here. Then go make them, as soon as you can.

grapefruit meltaway cookies

What is your favorite cookie?

1 Paula @ Vintage Kitchen January 17, 2013 at 3:56 am

Love the idea of gf butter cookie!

2 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 7:04 pm

they really were very similar to a “regular” cookie in consistency, Paula! :)

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 17, 2013 at 5:05 am

I was going to say Russian Teacakes. I think they’re all the same or very similar. My mom made them growing up (not in the crescent but ball shape). I never liked them as much as a kid, but knew they meant so much to her as her mother had made them for her as a child. I think my fave cookie has to be a PB cookie, but only when made JUST right ;-)

4 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 7:03 pm

yes, Russian Tea Cakes too – same thing, I think! I have always loved these! a good peanut butter cookie is always welcome, though…

5 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) January 17, 2013 at 6:21 am

Aww, your little story of our friendship makes me want to get out to Portland right now! Someday…

I definitely need to try your grapefruit version. And I also want to try a lemon/lime combo! Options = endless.

6 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 7:03 pm

raspberry. watermelon. limon + chile! endless

7 christina January 17, 2013 at 6:38 am

grapefruit in cookies? i’m so intrigued. i always forget aboutt that awesome fruit!

8 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 7:01 pm

grapefruit is one of my very favorites… unique flavor in the cookies!

9 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 17, 2013 at 7:21 am

Mmmmm… I can just imagine the citrus again that melty sweetness. And I happen to have a grapefruit… danger.

10 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 7:00 pm

make these now! I realize that grapefruit is probably long gone, but;)

11 Lisa January 17, 2013 at 8:36 am

YUM! What a fantastic idea. I love grapefruit. Never thought of trying it in cookies!

12 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 6:58 pm

I made a grapefruit poundcake several years ago… don’t know WHY it took me so long to venture further!

13 Ashley F. January 17, 2013 at 9:37 am

I am not a huge grapefruit fan, but I have been putting my big girl pants on lately and giving it a try.

My favorite cookie is definitely just a classic vegan peanut butter cookie. YUM!

14 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 6:57 pm

I love a good peanut butter cookie…

15 Eileen January 17, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Grapefruit cookies sound so good! I don’t think I’ve ever had a grapefruit cookie, but clearly that has to change–especially siunce our farmer’s market is piled high with citrus right now. :)

16 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 6:56 pm

I am LOVING grapefruit right now… they are SO very bright and tasty!

17 Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts January 17, 2013 at 8:28 pm

While I’m not usually a grapefruit lover, these look and sound phenomenal! I have always loved those kind of melt-in-your-mouth cookies. :-) I think it’s cool that you called the crescents boomerangs. ;-)

xo,
Shirley

18 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 6:53 pm

that’s what they looked like to me ;) you can swap the grapefruit for another citrus, or another fruit flavor altogether – I’m thinking raspberry! XXO!

19 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen January 20, 2013 at 6:35 am

I didn’t even know meltaway was a type of cookie…but that’s exactly what wedding cake cookies do, don’t they? Every time I see a wedding cake cookie all I can think about is parties in Spanish class in middle and high school because it was the go-to dessert recipe our teachers would suggest if someone needed something to make and bring. [We obviously didn't know about the joys of flan, then, or tres leches!!!!]

How delicious would these also be made with limon (lee-MONE ;)) from Mexico?

20 Kristina Sloggett January 21, 2013 at 5:57 pm

yes Yes YES it is exactly what they do! YES they would be good with limon. OOH maybe even limon and spice, like a chili spice?? (if anyone could appreciate this, you might!) :D