celery ranch dressing

in Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan

celery ranch dressing

I love ranch dressing.

Jason makes fun of my love of ranch dressing.

In all my years of ranching (heh…), I have become quite the connoisseur. Not all ranch is the same. For instance, I love the flavor and consistency of something like a Hidden Valley packet of ranch, mixed with milk. I do not enjoy the flavor or consistency of the Hidden Valley Ranch in a bottle, ready made. This is nothing against Hidden Valley – as I loved those original packets – I am not a fan of most bottled dressings.

I love to make my own.

vegan ranch dressing

First of all, I like a thin┬ádressing – this is thin, dippable. I like the traditional ranch flavors, including whatever Cool Ranch means. Cool is most definitely an aspect of flavor, and I have been trying to recreate it for a while now, in addition to the tangy herby flavors ranch is known for.

While it may seem like a completely strange ingredient, coconut milk helps give it the cool taste I was looking for. If you want to try this recipe and think I’m nuts, please feel free to substitute milk of your choice. Then put it in the freezer before using. Only sort of kidding. But yes, I am kidding.

I first made this dressing for my salad of living watercress. I also used it as a dipping sauce for those radish tarts. Mmm.

celery ranch dressing

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

2 stalks celery, cleaned and trimmed
1/2 cup coconut milk (So Delicious carton)
1/2 cup sunflower oil
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
3-4 fresh chives, minced fine
2 teaspoons dried parsley
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
pinch sea salt, black pepper

In high speed blender, puree celery to a liquid (or juice celery). Pour through a mesh strainer to remove pulp, set aside celery juice. Add coconut milk and oil, cover tightly and blend at highest speed several minutes, until this emulsifies into a thicker consistency. Add celery juice, apple cider vinegar, chives, parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper – blend to combine.

Store covered in refrigerator.

vegan celery ranch dressing

Are you a ranch fan? What is your favorite salad dressing?

1 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 22, 2013 at 4:36 am

My favorite thing about my Vitamix is that it can blend celery. So cool. Now I need to make this. How is it that I NEVER had coconut milk on hand?

2 Kristina Sloggett January 22, 2013 at 1:25 pm

yep – I used my Vita as well, really does a great job (there were just a few “strands” that I wanted OUT!) ;) totally opposite from me, I ALWAYS have coconut milk on hand…

3 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 22, 2013 at 5:30 am

Oh my gosh! YES!!! I have missed it sooooo! I love ranch dressing on baked potatoes! I am so making this! I get to have ranch again!!!

4 Kristina Sloggett January 22, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I hope you like it – you might want to adjust to make thicker if you’re wanting it on a baked potato – it’s pretty thin. YUMMY, though! :)

5 Jennifer January 22, 2013 at 6:19 am

Awesome recipe! I will have to try this! Thanks! Great blog, too! LOVE it!

6 Kristina Sloggett January 22, 2013 at 1:23 pm

thanks so much, Jennifer! enjoy!

7 Kari@Loaves n Dishes January 22, 2013 at 8:39 am

I’m don’t follow a vegan diet, but I still love this dressing! I think it’s the celery that got me…yum!

8 Kristina Sloggett January 22, 2013 at 1:22 pm

the celery adds a fresh flavor to the traditional ranch – I really liked it!

9 janetha January 22, 2013 at 9:30 am

now that i am dairy free i miss ranch so much! making this!

10 Kristina Sloggett January 22, 2013 at 1:21 pm

yay! hope you like it! :)

11 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen January 22, 2013 at 9:45 am

Um. Yum. I love ranch dressing and ranch flavored things (‘cool’ ranch Doritos come to mind…) but you know, the whole dairy situation has eliminated that for me. I would never have thought to try coconut milk–or to blend celery–but I love it.

My favorite salad dressing is a little something I like to call “Hummus mixed with nutritional yeast mixed with sweet hot salsa of some variety and a dash of Bragg’s, and maybe a shake of some other favorite seasoning blend.” That’s what goes on top of my nightly bowl of cr@&.

12 Kristina Sloggett January 22, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I know – I admit the coconut milk sounds weird to me, too – but I thought why not? I knew I’d still eat it, even if it wasn’t something I wanted to share… that flavor may not be for everyone but I LOVED it!

I LOVE using hummus as a salad dressing – and again, since I like “thin” dressings, that usually means I’ll mix it with a bunch of lemon juice, even water. SO good!

13 Eileen January 22, 2013 at 10:33 am

My favorite dressing is a simple dijon red wine vinaigrette–but now I’m thinking I need to start branching out with other homemade dressings. This looks great! I would never have thought to start a ranch dressing with celery juice. :)

14 Kristina Sloggett January 22, 2013 at 1:18 pm

it definitely gives a unique spin to the ranch flavor, and celery helps thin the dressing they way I like.

15 Amanda@ Spiritual Sweat January 22, 2013 at 11:05 am

So I just found your website through this post on Pinterest and boy am I happy! This recipe sounds amazing because there are no nuts in it! Never knew I could get so excited over a salad dressing :)

16 Kristina Sloggett January 22, 2013 at 1:17 pm

hi Amanda! there are so many flavors of ranch, and this one gets close to the kind I like! I was so excited too :)

great to “meet” you! – Kristina

17 assistantdoc January 22, 2013 at 11:39 am

One more reason I knew we are kindred spirits. I also am a connoisseur of Ranch. I love it on almost anything. I love pizza, but not so much for the pizza as for the ranch I drowned it in. Hehehe I am constantly looking for a recipe to equal the ranch at Abby’s! :-D I am also always looking for something, anything I can put ranch on. I am so excited to try this one. Mmmm Ranch.

18 Kristina Sloggett January 22, 2013 at 1:15 pm

pizza + ranch = essential. we WILL do this Abby’s field trip… :D

19 Heather @ Better With Veggies January 22, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Kirk is a HUGE ranch fan and I’ve yet to get the flavors to my liking – this sounds great!

20 Kristina Sloggett January 22, 2013 at 1:14 pm

if you make it I hope it is the flavor / style he likes… there are SO many different kinds! :)

21 Jillian January 22, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Oh lawdy! I love ranch dressing too. Guess what?! You will soon own a copy of Vintage Cakes.

22 Kristina Sloggett January 22, 2013 at 1:13 pm

squeee!! so So SO excited, I have loved all your recipes inspired by it! I will have to get you my new address.. XO!

23 Jillian January 22, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Yes, new address!

24 Kristina Sloggett January 23, 2013 at 1:14 pm

yeeee! emailing now!

25 Debbie @ Live from La Quinta January 22, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I was beginning to think that I was the only vegan who still loves Ranch dressing, but I can tell by the comments I am not. Hurray and thanks for the recipe.

26 Kristina Sloggett January 22, 2013 at 1:10 pm

…and here I thought I was the only one. happy to find out we are in good company!

27 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 22, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I am most definitely NOT a ranch fan. At all. BUT- if you made this for me, I would try it. And I bet it would be awesome with your buffalo “chicken” dip!
I grew up on Good Seasons (I think that’s what it’s called). To this day, my mom still makes her dressing from packets!
I like to combine unsweetened almond milk, some kind of fruit, balsamic and some kind of nut with salt and pepper and blend away- it makes a delicious dressing every time!

28 Kristina Sloggett January 23, 2013 at 1:19 pm

that’s how I make a lot of my dressings – random ingredients (that sort of follow a template…) into a blender. something different every time, and almost always great! ;)

29 Averie @ Averie Cooks January 22, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Cool Ranch, yes please! and I have no idea what the flavor profile is that makes it taste ‘cool’ but I really love it…and love that you’re done it, at home! No chemicals! And dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan. Amazing! I am actually shocked the coconut milk helps give the cool taste, but hey, I trust you!

30 Kristina Sloggett January 23, 2013 at 1:17 pm

coconut has that hard to describe “cool” to it, you know? this doesn’t taste like Doritos ;) but it’s getting closer…

31 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets January 22, 2013 at 5:12 pm

I used to love Ranch dressing, but stopped messing with it awhile back because those bottles of dressing usually have a whole ton of crap I don’t want or need. This is great and maybe perfect for dipping veggies…?

32 Kristina Sloggett January 23, 2013 at 1:13 pm

it IS perfect for dipping veggies! I think so…

33 Allie January 23, 2013 at 7:47 am

Seriously? Celery as a dip? This is too awesome! And do you follow the NYTimes health section? Their recipes for health this week all feature celery–I think this means it’s time for me to get over my I-hate-celery-because-I’ve-Only-Ever-Eaten-It-As-Sticks and actually try something fun with it and give it a second chance.

34 Kristina Sloggett January 23, 2013 at 1:04 pm

yessss… celery as a dip! I didn’t see the NYT piece- but quite timely! I should show them this! :)

35 Jared January 23, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Kristina, I have a container of ranch in my fridge as I type this! I, too, am a ranch fanatic. I love it paired with anything spicy (especially covered in buffalo sauce). I am typically pretty lazy and will mix vegan mayo/sour cream and a splash of almond milk with garlic/onion powder, salt, pepper, dill, and parsley and call it a day. Sometimes I don’t even use a blender! This recipe will bring ranch to new heights for me, I’m sure. The celery sounds magical. Thanks so much!

36 Kristina Sloggett January 24, 2013 at 2:13 pm

hi Jared – I know what you mean, ranch is like a COOLANT to spicy buffalo’ed things… I hope you like this one – the celery makes it thin (as I like it) and adds a great flavor… enjoy!

37 Abby @ The Frosted Vegan January 27, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I have been looking and looking for a good vegan ranch recipe, and this is my favorite looking one so far!

38 Kristina Sloggett January 30, 2013 at 11:33 am

oh good, Abby! I hope you love it as much as we do! :)

39 Christina January 27, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Oooooh, I’m so excited to try this! I am a ranch lover and am curious how the coconut base works for it. To me, soy passes fantastically for the usual dairy base, but it’s nice not to use soy all the time.

40 Kristina Sloggett January 30, 2013 at 11:32 am

I’ve had some people give the side eye about using coconut for this ;) but I love it! soy would work well, I just think the coconut gives it that extra something… enjoy!

41 Brittney H February 4, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Hi Kristina,
I had a question about the recipe. After you puree the celery and then drain the juice, are you putting the rest of the pulp back in the blender and adding the coconut milk and oil? I was a little unsure. Please help? :)

42 Kristina Sloggett February 5, 2013 at 8:34 am

hi Brittney,

after blending the celery at highest speed, I strained it (just a few strands and a bit of pulp) and only used the liquid for this dressing – I did not add the pulp back in.

hope that helps – enjoy!

Kristina

43 val March 4, 2013 at 2:27 pm

This sounds really good have had good luck in the past with homemade ranch dressing. Just wondering have you tried to use other oils besides sunflower, does it make any difference what oil is used? ty :)

44 Kristina Sloggett March 4, 2013 at 2:35 pm

hi Val,

I just made a batch of this with flax-seed oil, and it still works well. Olive oil is another oil I use for salad dressing, although I have not tried it with this ranch, so I don’t know how it may change the flavor. I would love to try this recipe with avocado oil as well, I have a bottle of it I need to try!

hope this helps, and if you make this, enjoy!

Kristina

45 Jenn March 27, 2013 at 7:52 am

I’ve been on a mission to clean up my diet. My kids and I would put ranch dressing on everything so I stopped buying it about 6 months ago. But oh how I’ve missed it! I made your version last night and I wanted to drink it. YUMMMMM! Thank you!

46 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 7:34 am

you are SO WELCOME! so happy you liked it – and yes, I had the same reaction, I wanted to drink it ;)

47 Corrine M. May 14, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I read through the comments and noticed the post about different oils, but what about coconut oil? Or would the ranch just harden in the fridge?

Probably too late to get a response tonight, so I’ll probably just give it a go!

48 Kristina Sloggett May 23, 2013 at 9:46 am

Corrine, I am SO SORRY to just see this comment (I had to rescue it from spam). I am not sure about coconut oil, I have not tried and tend to think it may harden – but would soften up again? Did you try?

49 Corrine M. May 23, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Not a problem at all :)

I did try, but actually used an extra 1/4 cup of coconut milk and only a 1/4 cup of the oil. It turned out great! Thick, but I like to mix fresh lemon juice in when I use it which thins it out a bit.

50 Corrine M. May 23, 2013 at 9:11 pm

And I also added nutritional yeast which certainly added to the thickness!

51 Nicole June 5, 2013 at 1:12 pm

hi Krisina,
thank you so much for sharing your recipes!
I just started with a vegan diet last week and i just love these great recipe ideas! I did try this ranch dressing tonight and the taste was great but the consistency was to thin. The coconut milk just didn’t get a creamy texture although I did blend it quit a while. I wanted to use it more as a dip (for vegan buffalo wings)
Any advice on how to get it thicker or more creamy? is there anything that can be added? I tried soy yoghurt.. but that changed the taste a little bit. :-(

52 Kristina Sloggett June 16, 2013 at 10:09 pm

you are so welcome, Nicole!

well, as you probably read in the post, I like a thin dressing, so this was deliberate :) and I know adding celery thins out the consistency even more. are you opposed to a vegan mayo? that would certainly give a thickness you are wanting. maybe add a little less celery, and certainly less oil (or omit completely if using mayo).

glad you like the flavor – hope this helps!

53 cathy simonetti July 6, 2013 at 9:49 am

you don’t mention apple cider vinegar in the list of ingredients…how much???

54 Kristina Sloggett July 6, 2013 at 11:10 am

hi Cathy,

it is the fourth listed ingredient – 2 teaspoons.

55 Krysten September 7, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Everything about this — yes, you ABSOLUTELY put the freshly made ranch dressing in the refrigerator before consuming it. I thought that was part of the directions! I’m so with you — Hidden Valley packets with 1 cup mayo and 1 cup milk is DELICIOUS. Bottled Hidden Valley — yuck!

56 Kayla January 16, 2014 at 10:08 am

Just made this recipe with my boyfriend. We were looking for clean dips for Super Bowl Sunday. I was skeptical at first, but Oh My God this is delicious! Thank you so much for this recipe!

57 Kristina Sloggett January 17, 2014 at 7:04 am

you are so welcome, Kayla! so happy you like it (it’s one I almost always have in my fridge… Mmm raaaanch)