healthy defense juice – Wellness Wednesday

in Breakfast,daily juice,daily smoothie,Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan,wellness

juice defense

The news tells us this year the flu is the worst ever.

My schedule is jam packed right now – not complaining at all, I am having FUN – and I am tired.

I am afraid to breathe when someone sneezes or coughs in public.

I am using antibac gel like body lotion.

I’m not a doctor, and I am not going to list immune defense properties of the veggies I am currently inhaling in raw and juiced forms. I will tell you that the first six ingredients of this recipe were picked for their vitamins, minerals, antioxidants – feel good energy for me!

The cherries, mango and pineapple were added for sweet flavor. When I finished taking photos, I blended a banana in as well, taking this well over the 24 ounce mark. One huge jar of deliciousness will hopefully help me fight all the bugs out there.

juice defense - wellness wednesday

healthy defense juice

1 lemon, peeled
1 golden beet
1 handful broccoli
4 large carrots
1 clove garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
handful cherries, pitted
1/2 cup frozen mango
1/2 cup pineapple

Juice lemon, beet, broccoli, carrots and garlic. Pour into blender with apple cider vinegar, cherries, mango and pineapple – blend until smooth. Enjoy immediately.

juicing for wellness

*holds jar of juice in the air* Cheers!

1 lindsay January 23, 2013 at 4:37 am

now that i have a juicer, i am SOOOO making this. Wellness wednesday cheers!

2 Kristina Sloggett January 23, 2013 at 1:12 pm

cheers and enjoy!

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 23, 2013 at 5:10 am

I don’t have a juicer but when I see posts like this, I want one! Yours always looks so flipping good too. Happy Hump Day ;-)

4 Kristina Sloggett January 23, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I just LOVE my juicer!

happy Hump Day to you!

5 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 23, 2013 at 5:25 am

Having had the plagues, I do’nt blame you for being scared! I’m scared to get it again. *shudder*

Inever thought to add broccoli to a jiunce (well, smoothie in my case). Definitely checking that out!

6 Kristina Sloggett January 23, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I just do NOT want to get sick!! yick!! glad you’re on the other end of your plague ;)

I love to juice broccoli – it brings a very unique flavor!

7 jobo January 23, 2013 at 7:08 am

Yum! this looks so tasty! I hope you don’t get sick!!

8 Kristina Sloggett January 23, 2013 at 1:10 pm

me too! I’ve been feeling VERY TIRED lately, but… not really sick. the juice is the answer ;)

9 Yum Yucky January 23, 2013 at 7:27 am

wow. Aside from the evil flu, that drink looks tasty enough for daily gulping. Nice concoction! Do you have the deets on a good juicer? I’m in the market for one.

10 Kristina Sloggett January 23, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I just CRAVE juice like this every day! if you are wanting to juice a lot, and want to spend a LITTLE bit more on a juicer that will be FAR MORE economical in the long run, find a twin gear or masticating juicer, rather than a centrifugal. twin gear/masticating juicers are MUCH more efficient, you get more juice and the pulp is very little, VERY dry.

when I began juicing daily several years ago, I started with a Breville centrifugal – and that is a good juicer – and a couple years ago we switched to a twin gear – I use LESS produce for the same amount of juice, and the pulp is dry, not heavy and wet. I hope this helps, Josie, let me know if you have more questions!

11 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 23, 2013 at 7:36 am

Woman…the germs are living in my house! Max came home early from school yesterday and is home again today…all after Jay was home all week last week. I’ve pretty sure the germs are mocking me at this point. I know they are here and they really want me. I’m fighting until the bitter end! I’ve been bathing in everything antibacterial, eating as many fresh fruits and vegetables as humanly possible and taking in spices and herbs with germ fighters in them like nobody’s business!

This juice sounds perfect!

12 Kristina Sloggett January 23, 2013 at 1:05 pm

oh, gosh, girl – take care of yourself! I wish I could send over a gallon of this for all of you!

13 Roz@weightignfor50 January 23, 2013 at 9:42 am

I’d like to reach through my monitor and grab a jar of your juice. It sounds delicious as well as immunity building.

14 Kristina Sloggett January 23, 2013 at 12:59 pm

I love it! many strong flavors in there, and somehow it is GOOD :)

15 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen January 23, 2013 at 11:00 am

I’ve been taking my ACV shots like a good little girl every morning.

My stomach and skin are thanking me. My immune system is still questioning the practice. [Is it supposed to help your immune system or did I just make that up?]

16 Kristina Sloggett January 23, 2013 at 12:58 pm

sure it is! ;) actually I think the things it boosts and/or reduces DO contribute to a healthier immune system!

17 Eileen January 23, 2013 at 11:05 am

I haven’t had a massive glass of juice in way too long–and this one sounds so good! It’s clearly time to break out the blender. :)

18 Kristina Sloggett January 23, 2013 at 12:56 pm

yes, yes it is time… I love my massive glass of juice!

19 Bianca-Vegan Crunk January 23, 2013 at 11:57 am

Yum! Yea, I’ve been hearing all the flu madness, and I DO NOT have time for that! Ha! I should drink more juice. We don’t need no crazy flu shots! Juice power!

20 Kristina Sloggett January 23, 2013 at 12:56 pm

EXACTLY – never had a shot, have only been sick once in five years! juice juice, baby!

21 Vanessa January 23, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Hi! Just wanted to say that the juice sounds pretty yummy. Also, antibacterial gel won’t do much good since influenza is a virus and using antibacterials will put your own natural bacteria under a selective pressure, encouraging them to become more resistant to antibiotics. Alcohol-based would be better than antibac gel if you want to kill the bacteria nevertheless since the microbes won’t become resistant to alcohol but will still die.

22 Jeanette January 23, 2013 at 6:23 pm

I’ve been juicing lately too -feels like I’m getting a transfusion of all those good vitamins and minerals. Hoping it will help keep me healthy this winter too!

23 Kristina Sloggett January 24, 2013 at 2:11 pm

a transfusion – YES! it’s like instant bright energy, I think that is why I feel like I NEED my juice each morning… cheers – here’s to everyone around us staying healthy and well this winter (and all year…)!

24 Caitlin January 24, 2013 at 8:21 am

Yum!

I have never thought of adding fruit to sweeten up a juice that has garlic in it! I am definitely going to try this. I made a savoury one full of nutrients that I just put up on my blog:

25 Kate@Diethood January 25, 2013 at 7:07 am

I need this juice! Everyone around me is sick…and now I feel a tingle in my throat. :/
Thanks for sharing, sweets!!

26 Kristina Sloggett January 25, 2013 at 11:27 am

oh, no – go make this QUICK! ;) I hope you do not get sick!

27 Hotsie101 January 25, 2013 at 6:41 pm

I wanted to tell everyone to try beet leaves and two apples the beets are good also to juice.I normally roast the beets for a salad

28 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets January 26, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I love juicing, and I’m not even sure why, but I just keep going back to it. I also figure the extra nutrients can’t hurt out immune systems.

29 Kristina Sloggett January 30, 2013 at 11:49 am

I love juicing too (I’m so glad you get it)! I get so that if I do not have it one day, I am not the same. kinda like coffee for some, perhaps?? :D

30 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets February 2, 2013 at 4:32 pm

I went to the grocery store today, and they had these beautiful beets and all I could think was juice. Beets, some carrot, maybe an orange, some lemon. Mm, mm good.

31 happyvalleymom January 27, 2013 at 9:43 am

This looks and sounds yummy! That is until I saw the last three ingredients. I have an allergy to cherry, mango and pineapple. Since you are adding them as a sweetener could I add any fruit? Strawberries, raspberries and oranges perhaps?

32 Kristina Sloggett January 30, 2013 at 11:35 am

hello! yes, you can absolutely use any fruit you like – your choices sound great! enjoy!