spinach and mushroom tofu scramble

in Basil Pup,Breakfast,dachshund,Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan

spinach and mushroom tofu scramble

I enjoyed this quick and easy lunch earlier this week, and it was so tasty I wanted to share it with you, even though all I did was instagram it.

The photos look all olden style, and I like that. I also like to make up words, like olden.

Old timey, you know.

I started this scramble with a spoonful of coconut oil in a pan – then sauteed mushrooms and spinach.

vegan veggie scramble

For the “scramble” portion, I make my scrambles one of two ways, depending on what I have on hand. I use extra firm tofu, like my Cuban breakfast scramble, and I use whipped silken tofu, like my Baileys and black tea French toast. This time I used silken – I like it.

Topped with requisite buffalo sauce:

buffalo tofu scramble

spinach and mushroom tofu scramble

dairy, egg, gluten free, vegan

serves one

1 tablespoon coconut oil
5-6 baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1 large handful fresh spinach
1/2 package Silken tofu
2 tablespoons coconut milk (So Delicious carton)
2 teaspoons turmeric
salt, pepper, buffalo sauce

In blender on high speed, blend tofu with milk and turmeric into a “sauce” consistency.

Saute mushrooms and spinach in coconut oil until spinach wilts, mushrooms begin to crisp at edge. Pour blended tofu into pan, stir to combine with spinach and mushrooms. As it cooks, break it up with spatula as you would a ‘normal’ scramble, into pieces.

Season with salt, pepper, toppings / sauce of choice.

As you all know, my current choice is buffalo.

spinach mushroom tofu scramble

This was SO good, and SO easy. Five seconds whipped in the Vita-mix is almost faster than cracking eggs and beating them. I think it is faster.

…and because many of you are asking about Rosemary, and how she is getting along with us, how Basil is welcoming her. Everything is clearly just fine:

Basil and Rosemary

Happy Thursday.

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 24, 2013 at 12:04 pm

So glad those sweet pups are getting along. I saw your posts of these pictures the other day. I always forget about doing a tofu scramble. I don’t know why, it’s simple, satisfying and versatile too – you can have in a wrap or even over sweet potatoes. Guess I need to pick up more tofu ;-)

2 Kristina Sloggett January 24, 2013 at 2:01 pm

I love scramble wraps… or just a big scramble with roasted potatoes and veggies, like a classic breakfast.

3 jobo January 24, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I NEED to try this with tofu! I am making something similar for my pre-class dinner tonight (veggies with eggs) and the tofu would add a nice boost of protein! looks delish. Love the olden pics ;-) I use that word too hehe.

LOVE that the two pups love each other!

4 Kristina Sloggett January 24, 2013 at 1:59 pm

oh GOOD, so I’m not the only one who uses olden ;) I really love tofu scrambles – with the turmeric they look like eggs, and with the sauteed flavors they taste like them!

5 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen January 24, 2013 at 7:41 pm

So my roommate when I first moved back East might have stolen all of my food, but she DID leave me with the knowledge of how joyful coconut oil-sauteed spinach and mushrooms can be. There is just a brightness to the veggies that other oils don’t bring!

This looks delish. :)

6 Kristina Sloggett January 24, 2013 at 7:57 pm

agreed! coconut oil is pretty much great on everything and anything… the combination of sauteed mushrooms and spinach is terrifically epic as is, and jjust a tiny pinch of salt and the coconut oil? sheesh, this is all I need!

and this lamp …and my paddle ball game. (what’s THAT movie!??) :D

7 Kath (My Funny Little Life) January 30, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Mmmmmmmm, nice combo! You know, no tofu for me, but I love the spinach-mushroom idea. Would work great with an omelette as well! :D But … 2 tsp turmeric? Ui. Doesn’t that get too bitter?

8 Kristina Sloggett January 31, 2013 at 5:55 am

yes, this would definitely work in egg form for you!

…and you know, I should change that turmeric – I have been using it so much lately that I am really beginning to like the flavor, so that much is good to me… but yes, I need to be reminded (thank you!) that I didn’t really like it much when I first started using it – and had to “cover” the flavor with cumin ;)