vitality shots – Wellness Week

in Breakfast,daily juice,Gluten Free,raw,recipes,Vegan,wellness

vitality shots Wellness Wednesday

You may have noticed that recent Wednesdays have been Wellness Wednesdays at spabettie, something new I am doing as I continue to educate myself on all aspects of wellness – inside and out. I am currently enrolled in the Master Veg program offered through NCNM, Portland’s naturopathic college. I could not be more excited – I have already learned so much.

I am officially kicking off Wellness Wednesdays with a Wellness Week, as we transition from our first month of 2013 into the second. While my plant based diet will of course be a focus for Wellness Wednesdays, it will certainly not be the entire series – topics using my background in the spa / wellness industry, fitness (people continue to ask about skiing, tennis and running) are among the posts I have planned.

While many may argue this morning’s grapefruit-ginger vodka toddy fits with Wellness Week – being a popular cure for all that ails you – I do have one that might fit better – my vitality shots. This one is, you know, one that you can drink before you go to work.

Last week I shared my healthy defense juice – so far it has done it’s job to keep me well. This shot should do the same thing – and while it is small, it is mighty! Bright and strong in flavor, intensely invigorating.

vitality shots

vitality shots

3 inches fresh ginger
2 lemons, peeled
2 leaves kale
pinch turmeric
pinch cayenne
pinch cinnamon

Juice ginger, lemon and kale. Whisk in turmeric, cayenne and cinnamon. Enjoy immediately.

lemon ginger shots

Cheers!

1 Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts January 28, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Awesome! Gotta have that cayenne! I can’t believe you’re in such a program. You AMAZE me, dear! Send me some of your excess energy. Please. ;-)

xo,
Shirley

2 Kristina Sloggett January 30, 2013 at 11:09 am

I need ALL the energy I can get, my friend ;) some look at me like I’ve got 3 heads with the cayenne thing, but I LOVE it! :) XO

3 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen January 29, 2013 at 4:55 am

Looks delicious. But, then again, if you haven’t noticed, you can pretty much just mumble the word ‘ginger’ under your breath and my spidey-sense will kick in. :)

4 Kristina Sloggett January 30, 2013 at 10:56 am

mine too – I always have at least one huge root in my fridge at any given time, and MORE THAN ONCE the grocery checker has commented about it – I’ve found the biggest one, or the best looking… people love their ginger! :)

5 Heather @ Better With Veggies January 29, 2013 at 9:48 am

Another day I’m wishing I had a juicer! ;)

6 Kristina Sloggett January 30, 2013 at 10:46 am

I know – I wish you did too!

7 jt November 8, 2013 at 6:01 pm

3 inches of ginger? that sounds like alot. you actually grind the root?

8 Kristina Sloggett November 10, 2013 at 2:05 pm

hi JT; sorry if the recipe was not clear – I use fresh ginger root (found in the produce section) and put it through a juicer. hope that helps, and yes, this is a lot of ginger – very spicy!

9 jt November 8, 2013 at 6:02 pm

its not the ginger you buy in the spices? is 3 inces about a 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup?