ginger lime Brussels sprouts

in appetizers,Dinner,Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan

ginger lime Brussels sprouts

*sigh*

Brussels sprouts are one of those vegetables I have avoided my entire adult life thus far. I recall having them as a kid only once – then kicked and screamed politely refused them ever since.

Recently a friend asked if I had any Brussels sprouts recipes, or if I would create one, as she had recently taken a liking to them. I still had not found my liking, but I said sure, I’d give it a shot!

In talking with other food friends and lovers of all veggies, I kept hearing roast them! I figured this was good advice to follow, since I love just about any vegetable that has been roasted.

I thought up a simple recipe with some of my favorite flavors. A quick fifteen minutes in the oven is all these need, with a toss every five minutes:

picasion.com

*swoon*

You know what? I now love Brussels sprouts.

I know – I kick myself for all I have been missing. These will definitely be in regular rotation at dinnertime around here. Simple and short ingredient list, quick cook time, and amazing vibrant flavors.

ginger lime Brussels sprouts

ginger lime Brussels sprouts

dairy, egg, soy, and gluten free, vegan

serves four

2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
juice and zest of 1 lime
1/2 inch ginger root, peeled and minced fine
salt and pepper
1 pound Brussels sprouts
1 tablespoon coconut nectar, agave or honey

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In medium size bowl, melt coconut oil. Whisk in ginger, lime juice and zest.

Chop bottom stem portion off each Brussels sprout, discard stem. Slice each sprout into quarters. Toss sprouts into coconut oil mixture, arrange in single layer on prepared (parchment / silpat) baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Roast for 15 minutes, in stages: Roast in oven for five minutes. Remove, toss to stir, return to oven to roast for another five minutes. Remove from oven, drizzle with sweetener, toss to coat, return to oven for the final five minutes.

Serve as a side dish, or over a simple pasta:

ginger lime Brussels sprouts

Here you go, Michelle – these Brussels are for you! Sorry it took me a bit

1 Sarah, Simply Cooked February 14, 2013 at 2:44 am

Wow, clever idea. I do like roasted Brussels sprouts, but now that you say lime and ginger, I am really taken with the idea. I’m glad it turned you from being a sprouts hater. :)

2 Kristina Sloggett February 14, 2013 at 8:57 am

it definitely has – I make these constantly!

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) February 14, 2013 at 6:03 am

MMM I love Brussels sprouts, even liked them as a kid (yes, I was an oddball, veggie loving kid, go figure right?). Love the addition of the ginger. I like doing a mustard sauce and mixing in some jam (like strawberry). Happy Valentine’s Day friend.

4 Kristina Sloggett February 14, 2013 at 8:56 am

mustard and jam sounds so good too… Happy Valentines, Heather!

5 Lisa is Raw on $10 a Day (or Less!) February 14, 2013 at 6:48 am

Oh yum. I’ve always loved brussels sprouts but this would take it over the top.

6 Kristina Sloggett February 14, 2013 at 8:56 am

they really are so good, Lisa!

7 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 14, 2013 at 7:03 am

You read my mind today. I woke up craving brussles! I roast time most often with nooch and ACV and various spices but have yet to try it with fresh ginger. If I make it to the grocery store today this will be happening!

8 Kristina Sloggett February 14, 2013 at 8:55 am

ooh, I hope you do! these are our new favorite thing!

9 Michelle February 14, 2013 at 9:16 am

That looks delicious – I’ll be making this ASAP. I’m glad you converted :). Thanks for creating this amazing looking recipe -definitely worth the wait! Happy Valentine’s Day!

10 Kristina Sloggett February 14, 2013 at 9:20 am

I hope you love them as much as we do – I am making these all the time now! ;) thank YOU – if you hadn’t asked I may not have tried! Happy Valentines, Michelle! XO

11 Lisa B February 14, 2013 at 9:32 am

We have pretty much the same history with brussels sprouts…. and although I’ve been loving them lately, I envision deepening that with ginger and lime :-)
Thanks for sharing this–I’m really excited to try it!

12 Jess February 14, 2013 at 10:09 am

yum yum yummmmm. I’m obsessed with brussel sprouts this winter. I can’t WAIT to try this version!!

13 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty February 14, 2013 at 10:35 am

I love brussel sprouts, I’ve converted many people into my brussle sprout loving ways… these sound soooooooo good!!

I just love mine simple, steamed with white vinegar and a ton of pepper – served HOT! Mmmmmmmmm

14 Jenn@slim-shoppin February 14, 2013 at 11:31 am

You know what? I’ve never even tasted a brussels sprout but always say I hate them….I may have to give it a try – and you are right – roasting anything tastes better

15 Roz@weightingfor50 February 14, 2013 at 11:46 am

Brussels sprouts are the BEST. We have them shaved, then roasted with a little olive oil and balsamic, and when they’re cooked, we sprinkle them with Parmesan. Have a great Thursday Kris.

16 jobo February 14, 2013 at 1:00 pm

ooooh I have not bought brussels lately and NOW I must! this looks incredible!

17 purelymichelle February 14, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I love brussel sprouts! I need to try this as I love lime and ginger too!

18 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 14, 2013 at 4:20 pm

OH YUM! Ginger and lime brussels sprouts sound perfect! I love brussels sprouts though. Okra on the other hand…UGH, no thanks. That’s the only vegetable that I still carry a hatred for as an adult. This looks perfect!

19 Kelli February 14, 2013 at 7:55 pm

These look amazing!!! I love Brussels sprouts… I usually tamari-roast them, but this is the recipe I will be using on the bag of them currently sitting in the fridge.

20 Art & Lemons February 15, 2013 at 6:36 am

Swooning over this recipe. A must try. Stat.

21 Kate@Diethood February 15, 2013 at 7:00 am

Ooooh how I’d love to attack that entire plate! YUMS! I’m thinking this ginger lime thing needs to be tried in my kitchen – a.s.a.p!

22 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies February 15, 2013 at 9:44 am

I always tell people who think they don’t like Brussels sprouts that they need to try them roasted. :) It really makes a difference! Ginger + lime sounds like such a tasty addition to them.

23 Caroline February 15, 2013 at 10:29 am

Roasted brussels sprouts are wonderful. I rarely make them, because they seem more like a side dish and my meals usually don’t follow the “main course + side dishes” format. But I guess I could just make some rice or pasta like you did to round them out.

24 Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 16, 2013 at 2:16 am

Aww. Yum. :D :D :D

I despised brussel sprouts as a child, as I also despised asparagus. Probably because of the bitter taste? Anyway, now I love them! I imagine they go perfectly well with ginger and lime, and oven roasting is wonderful anyway, it’s a shame I so rarely make use of my oven! Roasting something in the pan seems to go quicklier to me, and I only use the oven when I make larger amounts of something. I’ll get my oven ready this weekend now. Peter is coming, so there’ll be two hungry tummies drooling over the idea of roasted veggies! :D

25 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets February 16, 2013 at 4:43 pm

How fortuitous ; I just picked up a batch of brussel sprouts at the farmer’s market yesterday. Today, I spent some time cleaning them so they’d be ready when I was ready. Then, I decided to catch up on my blog reading and you publish a fabulous sounding sprout recipe. Lime and ginger have been added to my grocery store list and recipe pinned. I can’t wait to try your take on sprouts.

26 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets February 20, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I made these tonight, and I loved the flavor combo. They were fantastic.

27 Kristina Sloggett February 25, 2013 at 5:40 pm

yay! so happy you like them – I need to make them again SOON…

28 Heather @ Better With Veggies February 18, 2013 at 7:34 am

I’m still working on really enjoying brussel sprouts, so I’ll have to try this one and see if it helps!

29 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen February 27, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Now this is something I don’t think even my crazy brain would have thought of…although the pomegranate honey mustard sprouts I made a couple of weeks ago were pretty darn tasty.

I love the little ‘leaflets’ when they get crispy, like baby kale chips. :)

30 Kristina Sloggett March 2, 2013 at 1:43 pm

I love the leaflets too! the first time I roasted Brussels, I actually cut them and then peeled each one apart, so it was ALL little leaflets… but then DANG DANG DANG I roasted them way too long. so, that method is better with pan frying – and is so SO awesome…

31 Christine August 2, 2013 at 8:58 am

I too, hated brusselsprouts my ENTIRE life, mostly because my mom fixed them straight from the freezer and did nothing to season them. Imagine my surprise – and my husband’s! – when I agreed to try them at a restaurant recently, and discovered I liked them! It helped immensely that they were fresh and roasted. Now, I’m collecting brusselsprouts recipes like there is no tomorrow, and this looks amazing! Love me some ginger and lime in oh, just about anything!