spicy coconut almond dipping sauce

in Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan

spicy coconut almond sauce

This is one of those sauces I spun together just looking around the kitchen, while waiting for a batch of chick-quin to bake in the oven. It is so simple, yet so flavorful and good I had to share it with you.

Many of you know how much I love my sriracha. You may recall when this happened:

I still use that sriracha sprayer. Hint: if you want to adapt your own sriracha bottle, find a large sprayer, like from a gardening store. Normal spray bottles are most likely too small. Just sharing what I have learned… in the fun of having sriracha spray-ability.

Back to this sauce – a simple sauce that whisks together in minutes, it is creamy and nutty and spicy warm – all kinds of flavor layers going on.

spicy coconut almond dipping sauce

spicy coconut almond dipping sauce

dairy, soy, and gluten free, vegan

makes about 1/2 cup – easily doubled

1/2 cup almond butter
juice of 1 lime
2-5 tablespoons sriracha*
2-3 tablespoons coconut milk (So Delicious carton)

*to taste and heat preference – you can always add, you cannot take away

In medium bowl, combine almond butter and lime juice. Add sriracha and coconut milk, a tablespoon at a time, whisk until smooth. Add more coconut milk and/or sriracha for a thinner sauce.

spicy almond sauce

If you are a spicy hot sauce fan, please try this. Then enjoy it with chick-quin. over pasta. with salad rolls. as a veggie dip. as a veggie sauce. over popcorn. under a rice bowl. with a spoon…

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) February 15, 2013 at 5:20 am

Oh friend, you had me at the sriracha! Love this one. I’ve been adding sriracha to a hummnut sauce to go over zucchini or brussels sprouts. MMMM Love the addition of the lime in this one. I bet it really makes the flavors pop out.

2 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 15, 2013 at 6:06 am

This is pure genius! The sauce and the spray bottle! Both will be happening here! That flavor combination sounds like heaven!

3 Allie February 15, 2013 at 7:30 am

Sriracha! If that stuff is involved, I’ll be happy.

4 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 15, 2013 at 8:15 am

I need a strange but good invention edition because a sriracha sprayer belongs there. I’m off to Home Depot later. And it’s right next door to whole foods. It’s going to be a good night.

5 Jenn@slim-shoppin February 15, 2013 at 10:57 am

I love the sprayer idea! My son LOVE that hot sauce, I always get the hugest one they have at the store

Great idea for a dipping sauce!

6 Eileen February 15, 2013 at 12:53 pm

This sounds like the perfect sauce for summer rolls! I have never mastered the art of a decent dipping sauce–usually everything gets overwhelmed with too much soy sauce. So I’m extra excited to try this one out!

Also, sriracha spray?? ZOMG.

7 JD April 24, 2013 at 6:40 pm

This sauce looks so good for summer BBQ everything. If it’s good enough maybe the sauce will get it’s own spray bottle for marinating on the grill, hmmm….

Eileen, if you’re talking about a dipping sauce for gyoza/potstickers, I find the easiest/yummiest dip is put soy sauce in a thin saucer (this is important, it needs to spread out and not be deep) and add two-three drops of sesame oil. Try it, and add more to taste (sesame oil is very strong so you only need a little bit). The saucer lets teh oil spread out on top of the soy sauce, and it’s my favourite dipping sauce ever! It’s too thin for much else though :/

8 Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 16, 2013 at 2:22 am

Ooooohhhh *_*

9 Heather @ Better With Veggies February 18, 2013 at 7:32 am

I want this on popcorn – yum!

10 Cara February 18, 2013 at 8:37 am

haha, love the sriracha sprayer idea!! And the sound of this sauce, of course :)

11 Morgan February 19, 2013 at 10:12 am

As a sriracha fein myself, I am incredibly excited to try this flavor combo. Love the idea of adding coconut milk and lime juice! Yum :)

12 Marlene @Noshmyway February 19, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Brilliant idea. You should link to our Foodie Friends Friday Linky party on Thrusday evening at 6:00 PM PST. Just go to my blog on Thursday evening and link up to three recipes. Look forward to seeing you there. Oh and we always have a giveaway of some sort.

13 Tearei April 28, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Never tried sriracha before today (yes, I KNOW!) Best. Stuff. Ever!

This will be made over and over again around my house!

14 Kristina Sloggett May 8, 2013 at 12:00 pm

WHAAAAAT? never. tried. sriracha.

wow. do I get credit for introducing you? :)

15 Tearei May 8, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Absolutely!! I have used it nearly everyday since. Kev loves it, too, so that works great :)

16 Tearei May 6, 2013 at 12:39 pm

I *finally* had to bookmark this page, since I have made and given out this recipe ENDLESSLY over the past week and a half! :)

17 Kristina Sloggett May 8, 2013 at 11:16 am

you’re a doll. so happy you like it!

18 Lisa May 15, 2013 at 10:55 pm

How long is this sauce good for once made and refrigerated?

19 Kristina Sloggett May 23, 2013 at 9:40 am

hi Lisa, being plant based, it can last a while. my general rule for freshness is 3-4 days (and it rarely lasts that long here) :)