savory french toast – broccoli cheddar

in Breakfast,Dinner,Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan

savory french toast - broccoli cheddar

*whew*

The last two weeks have been a blur. Two weeks ago today, Dad went into surgery. A week ago today, he came home. In that week we have been back to the emergency room three times, twice via ambulance. We have been able to test his new Life Alert (EMS to his house within three minutes, that is GOOD!), and I am quickly remembering the nurse and caretaker skills from last year.

While caring for Dad, I am trying to relax and have downtime myself. From attempting a normal schedule and going to class, to making sure I am dressed each morning or being okay with showing up to the E.R. in yoga pants and a Mizzou hoodie.

It’s cool. The hoodie is more comfy anyway…

broccoli cheese french toast

Remember the broccoli cheese muffins I could not stop yelling about?

I made loaves of bread from that recipe. Then I French toasted it.

vegan savory french toast

savory French toast – broccoli cheddar

inspired by Baileys and black tea French toast

dairy, egg and gluten free, vegan

makes six pieces

1/2 container (6 ounces) silken tofu
1/2 cup coconut milk (or dairy free milk of choice)
pinch salt
6 pieces broccoli cheddar bread (or your favorite gluten free bread)

Combine tofu, milk and salt in blender. Thin with more liquid as necessary (silken tofu varies in consistency). Pour into shallow bowl, dip bread pieces into batter and cook on a griddle over medium heat, a minute or two on each side, until cooked through and golden.

Top with slow cooker basil marinara, hot sauce, more cheese…

savory french toast - broccoli cheddar

Yum.

1 Abby February 21, 2013 at 5:12 am

Looks delicious, but it has tofu so I’m out (says my digestive system.) But thank you for the Dad update, as I’ve been wondering. I hope things are settling down a bit or that both of you can at least be a little more comfortable during this trying time.

As for Life Alert, we know it well from when my Gram was still at home. They came so often we made baked goods for the fire department at least once a week and knew them by name. Unfortunately, there were no young and single firefighters ;) Could have killed two birds with one stone. Hang in there1

2 Kristina Sloggett February 25, 2013 at 5:40 pm

yeah, we used it 3 times in 6 days. *sigh* probably not the typical “let’s bust this thing open and see how it works” kind of getting used to something, but hey. it’s already paid for itself this month! ;) and yeah, the paramedics and fire dept. all know me now… I need to stop by and bring them lunch…

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) February 21, 2013 at 5:20 am

Brilliant idea! You’re always so darn creative. I love it. I have seen a few of your posts and have been thinking about you and your dad. I worry about you and hope you’re able to take some time for yourself too. You’re dealing with so much right now. And I really hope things improve quickly for your dad. Hugs!!

4 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 21, 2013 at 6:15 am

So sorry to hear your dad is still having such a rough go. He is lucky to have such an awesome daughter!

This toast looks awesome. I love that you turned the muffins into bread! Savory French toast has been on my list for a while… Maybe this weekend ill find time to execute!

5 purelytwins February 21, 2013 at 6:55 am

Looks fantastic!!!
Sorry to hear about your dad. Praying for you and him!!!
HUGS

6 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 21, 2013 at 7:32 am

Yum is right! Dang that sounds good! You know you two are in my thoughts. Hopefully things will get more settled for you soon! xoxo

7 Roz@weightingfor50 February 21, 2013 at 11:05 am

This looks fantastic Kris. Sending healing hugs to your Dad and caring hugs to you!

8 Kate | Food Babbles February 21, 2013 at 11:31 am

Holy cow!!! That is just GENIUS!! I don’t think I’ve ever had savory french toast before. Oh man, now you did it. Now I’m going to have to try this!! In the meantime, praying for you and your dad.

9 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy February 21, 2013 at 8:01 pm

what a delicious and unique meal! keeping your father and your family in my prayers:)

10 Allie February 22, 2013 at 5:57 am

Mmm, marinara-coated savory french toast?? I swear, you have yet to post a recipe that doesn’t make me want to just walk out of the office and go home and cook (or, rather, go home and magically have you in my kitchen to make such things for me ;D ).

Hope all is going as well as possible with your dad! And I hope you’ve found time in between serious things to make “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up” jokes about Life Alert.

11 Kristina Sloggett February 25, 2013 at 5:36 pm

haa haa – we definitely made those jokes ;) this one is SO cool, he doesn’t even have to push the button, it has a sensor! nothing but the best for my dad ;)

12 Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 22, 2013 at 7:49 am

Good to hear that you Dad is home finally, and good to see that there is comfort food, too. :)

13 jobo February 22, 2013 at 10:00 am

Oh friend, rough two weeks, I know. I have been thinking of you, and am glad he is home and you are caring for him as you always do. This recipe looks super tasty and satisfying too!

14 Kristina Sloggett February 25, 2013 at 5:24 pm

thank you, friend – I appreciate it. xo

15 Robin February 22, 2013 at 10:44 am

Yum!

Praying for your dad…

16 Kristina Sloggett February 25, 2013 at 5:15 pm

17 Shirley @ gfe February 22, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I am so glad that you are still getting to do the recipe creation that you love (and we, your readers, do, too) and get in some down time while being in alert and caregiving mode so much. Hang in there, dear. Adding all my good thoughts and prayers to everyone else’s!

xo,
Shirley

18 Kristina Sloggett February 25, 2013 at 4:53 pm

being in the kitchen these days is one of the things that keeps me sane. I am hanging in, thank you so SO much! XO

19 Krista February 23, 2013 at 9:32 am

You are all sorts of awesome! I’m sorry to hear about your Dad and I’ll be sure to keep him AND you in my prayers. I hope you do get some kind of down time in between the crazy. xo

20 Kristina Sloggett February 25, 2013 at 4:49 pm

thanks, friend – I appreciate that. XO

21 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets February 23, 2013 at 11:53 am

Thanks for the update on your dad, and I’m sorry to hear it’s been so crazy since his release. I can only hope it gets better for you. Being a caretaker is tough, tough work, and it can be so mentally and physically exhausting. I’ll be thinking of you.

22 Kristina Sloggett February 25, 2013 at 4:43 pm

it really is. the physical I can keep up with, it is the mental and emotional that wears me down more, you know? thank you, Meagan – I appreciate you!

23 veganlinda February 24, 2013 at 5:26 am

So glad your dad is home and I hope things become less exciting. Please try to take time for yourself. Care-giving is a full time job. Hugs to you and your dad.

24 Kristina Sloggett February 25, 2013 at 4:42 pm

thank you SO much, Linda – I really appreciate that.

25 Richa February 24, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I end up in the kitchen when i am stressed. the french toasts sound wonderful.
Sending prayers and hugs your way.. hope things settle down.

26 Kristina Sloggett February 25, 2013 at 4:40 pm

thank you, Richa. me too… :)

27 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen February 27, 2013 at 5:55 pm

So sorry to hear about your dad, but also it sounds like things are moving in a positive direction (or as positive as they can), and I hope you really ARE finding time for yourself.

In other news, savory French toast is genius. I mean, we eat savory oats, and savory bread pudding, so why not?

28 Kristina Sloggett March 2, 2013 at 1:41 pm