blood orange tequila floats – blood orange sorbet recipe

in cocktails,Happy Hour at Home,recipes

blood orange tequila floats

Cheers! Today is National Margarita Day. and it falls on a Friday this year? How fortuitous for us.

Tequila now reminds me of Mexico, and the time Jason and I spent there just over a year ago, backpacking up the coast for a few weeks. I really learned to love tequila during that trip – learning about the different kinds (my favorite being reposado), and tasting many labels. From spending the afternoon at the beach sipping shots to cheersing on our anniversary at one of my favorite restaurants, some great memories…

Now when we enjoy a nice sipping tequila or even a margarita, we always say, “Tastes like Mexico…

I did not make you a margarita today – I suppose I could have made a blood orange margarita, but I prefer my ‘ritas on the rocks, not slushy. So I made a simple blood orange tequila float from a sorbet recipe I have been meaning to share for a while.

If you prefer a margarita, cheers with one of these recipes. It’s Friday, go ahead:

strawberry habanero margaritas

jalapeno margaritas

With bright bold flavor and a warming shot of tequila, these blood orange tequila floats are a tasty alternative to a margarita. Simply scoop a round or two of sorbet into a glass, add a shot of tequila.

blood orange sorbet recipe

blood orange sorbet

dairy, egg, soy, and gluten free, vegan

1 cup coconut water
3/4 cup sugar
zest of one blood orange
1 lime
5-6 blood oranges, peel and pith removed

In saucepan over medium heat, combine coconut water and sugar, whisk until dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Zest one orange. Peel all oranges and the lime, carefully removing all pith from each segment. Pour cooled simple sugar into blender, add lime and orange segments and turn on high power, blending until completely smooth.

Pour into ice cream maker, proceed with manufacturer instruction (mine took 25 minutes). Transfer to freezer safe container and store in freezer.

blood orange sorbet

Cheers, and happy weekend!

1 Allie February 22, 2013 at 5:50 am

It’s NATIONAL MARGARITA DAY??? Sorry for the yelling, my excitement just required all caps ;) I’m an on-the-rocks margarita fan too (and a HUGE fan of your jalapeno margarita, those things were FAB!), but I have had a pretty spectacular blood orange margarita before. Hmm, I DO have tangelos and tequila at home–think that would be close? ;)

2 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe February 22, 2013 at 7:32 am

I am convinced more and more every day that I need an ice cream maker. I don’t know how I’d get through this impending spring and summer without trying this recipe. Looks soooo goood.

3 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 22, 2013 at 7:33 am

I love blood oranges! There happens to be one in me fridge right now. And some tequila. Is it 5 yet?!

I hope you have a couple of these today – you deserve it!

4 Heather (Where's the Beach) February 22, 2013 at 7:37 am

I’ve never liked margaritas. I know, I’m weird. I also don’t really care for chocolate. Are the two related somehow? This sorbet, however, looks so warm and happy. As in reminds me of warm and happy ;-)

5 Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 22, 2013 at 7:51 am

I love how the colors of the sorbet and the spoons go hand-in-hand. Happy weekend to you and the family and the dachshund family! :)

6 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 22, 2013 at 11:41 am

EVERY day should be national margarita day! :)
This sorbet sounds SO good… I wonder if it’s even better than the one by Ciao Bella? Because that would be something big…

7 Kristina Sloggett February 25, 2013 at 5:05 pm

haa haa, I won’t argue with that logic… ;) well, not I’ll have to get a container of Ciao Bella and taste test, won’t I?? *sigh* it’s a tough job…

8 Eileen February 22, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Coconut water in a sorbet? Now that I have to try. And maybe a coconut-lime-lemongrass variation? Yay for national margarita day! Now I know for sure what I should bring to a party tonight…

9 Kristina Sloggett February 25, 2013 at 4:54 pm

yep, the lemongrass would work well here, too! I have been thinking about that lemongrass ice cream since we finished it … guess I need to make more! ;)

10 Bianca- Vegan Crunk February 22, 2013 at 12:46 pm

You don’t have to tell me twice to have a margarita. :-) I will gladly have one (or five) to celebrate!

11 Kristina Sloggett February 25, 2013 at 4:51 pm

cheers! :D

12 Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts February 22, 2013 at 8:12 pm

I absolutely must make these Blood Orange Tequila Floats! Happy weekend, indeed! Thank you, Kristina. :-)

xo,
Shirley

13 Kristina Sloggett February 25, 2013 at 4:50 pm

thank YOU, Shirley! your support is the best, I really appreciate you!

14 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets February 23, 2013 at 11:49 am

Not only do you put together amazing food combos, but you do drinks too?! Man, you are impressive and I’m putting National Margherita Day on he calendar so I can celebrate it next year.

15 Kristina Sloggett February 25, 2013 at 4:49 pm

gosh, sweetie, can I just have you hang out with me in the kitchen saying awesome things like this?? I’ll feed you ;) you really make my day, thank you!!

16 foodwandeirngs February 24, 2013 at 9:47 am

Oooh Kristina love that you used coconut water for this. It wouldn’t cross my mind for sorbets. Seasonal and delicious!

17 Kristina Sloggett February 25, 2013 at 4:41 pm

thanks Shulie! I love coconut water, it works well here!

18 Kate | Food Babbles February 24, 2013 at 10:09 am

Ooo! This sorbet sounds so refreshing!! Love the color and the flavor all by themselves…. and nothing wrong with adding a splash of tequila ;) Lovely!

19 Kristina Sloggett February 25, 2013 at 4:41 pm

it was a nice little spiked surprise to a normally refreshing dessert! :)