double chocolate zucchini protein muffins

in baking,Breakfast,Dessert,Gluten Free,Meatless Monday,recipes,snacks,Vegan

double chocolate zucchini muffins

This week is the final week of Meatless Monday A to Z – and we are celebrating with zucchini! Okay, it is the final week of the Inaugural Meatless Monday A to Z, I believe we will be starting all over again, right Heather?

I have had so much fun these last 26 Mondays, being challenged with new ingredients and finding unique ways to use them. Well, most of the time I have created something unique – today I bring you a kinda sorta standard double chocolate zucchini muffin.

double chocolate zucchini muffin

I think they’re pretty darn fantastic, though. Rich and chocolatey, these are a delicious way to end a really fun meatless series. These puff up nicely, have a great crisp exterior around a hearty yet soft middle, studded with melty chocolate (you must enjoy one fresh from the oven!). The cinnamon adds a subtle spicy depth of flavor.

They also have protein, so these stick with you longer than a regular muffin. Win-win.

double chocolate zucchini protein muffins

double chocolate zucchini protein muffins

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

makes 12 muffins

2 tablespoons flax seed, freshly ground
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon warm water
1/2 cup coconut milk (So Delicious carton)
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 cups zucchini, grated
2/3 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon maple syrup
3/4 cup gluten free all purpose flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
3/4 cup chocolate protein powder (Sunwarrior)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 tablespoon cinnamon
pinch sea salt
1 cup dark chocolate chips (I used dairy free 70%)

Grind flax seed in blender, coffee grinder. Place 2 tablespoons flax in a bowl, add water and stir. Place in refrigerator to set into gel (this equals / replaces two eggs).

Combine coconut milk and apple cider vinegar, set aside.

In large bowl, combine flours, protein powder, baking powder, xanthan gum, cinnamon, salt, and chocolate chips. Add grated zucchini, coconut oil, maple syrup, flax mixture, and coconut / acv mixture, stir to combine. Pour into prepared muffin cups, 3/4 full. Top each muffin with a few more chocolate chips.

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

double chocolate zucchini protein muffins

more recipes with zucchini:

roasted sweet potato and asparagus pasta

zucchini bread french toast

garlic cream risotto with summer vegetables

miso roasted veggie tacos

cherry zucchini crumb muffins

What is your favorite way to use zucchini?

Visit Heather to see other zucchini creations:

MMAZ

1 katie March 4, 2013 at 4:01 am

Yum! I wish I was creative like YOU! You just keep on being creative for me when it comes to food and recipes ;)

Hope all is well love! Been thinking of you and your dad! <3

2 Kristina Sloggett March 4, 2013 at 2:55 pm

thanks so much – Dad is in surgery right now… *thinking good thoughts*. I will keep on keepin’ on with creativity in the kitchen! XO

3 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 4, 2013 at 4:48 am

I was JUST looking at my chocolate zucchini muffin recipe last night thinking I need to make it again. And when I do, it wil certainly involve protein powder. Excellent idea. :)

4 Kristina Sloggett March 4, 2013 at 2:54 pm

the protein powder really makes these… more than just a dessert ;)

5 Tiff (@LoveSweatBeers) March 4, 2013 at 6:19 am

These look fabulous! Thanks for sharing. They look like a great way to satisfy my sweet tooth, which has become oh so annoying lately!

6 Kristina Sloggett March 4, 2013 at 2:53 pm

these will definitely do it – they’re pretty rich and chocolatey! my sweet tooth is pretty active right now too… ;)

7 Lora @cakeduchess March 4, 2013 at 7:07 am

I should join the next round of MM posts so I will be inspired to get more creative. Love this protein packed muffin with chocolate-yum!!

8 Kristina Sloggett March 4, 2013 at 2:49 pm

oh, Lora, please do! I would love it if you joined in, this really has been so much fun. We usually know about a month ahead of what the next several Mondays worth of ingredients are, so there is generally plenty of time to plan. Plus it is just fun! I hope you will join in!

9 Heather (Where's the Beach) March 4, 2013 at 8:37 am

Love zucchini. I’ve still never used it in a sweet dish though. And anytime I see it spiralized I desperately want a spiralizer ;-)

10 Kristina Sloggett March 4, 2013 at 2:42 pm

hey, pssst, Heather… I may be giving away a spiralizer soon… ;)

11 jobo March 4, 2013 at 10:48 am

WANT!! I totally want to make these and finally legit think I will next weekend ;)

12 Kristina Sloggett March 4, 2013 at 2:41 pm

oh I hope you do – enjoy!

13 Eileen March 4, 2013 at 11:40 am

These muffins sound like they would make an amazing breakfast–especially if you’re prone to running late and not eating much breakfast at all. I, uh, wouldn’t know anything about that, of course… :)

14 Kristina Sloggett March 4, 2013 at 2:40 pm

hmm… I do know what you mean… ;) and yep, I ate one of these as I was driving to the hospital early this morning – a perfect portable!

15 Bianca- Vegan Crunk March 4, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Wow! Those look so chocolately and delicious!! Also, zucchini French toast!!!! What?!

16 Kristina Sloggett March 4, 2013 at 2:39 pm

yes, zucchini bread french toast, it is a thing. a very good thing. these are pretty chocolatey, in the best way possible ;)

17 Heather @ Better With Veggies March 4, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I was thinking about chocolate with zucchini, but never got a chance to try it – thanks for creating a recipe for me!! And YES, there will be a bigger & better Round 2 (if that’s even possible, right?!). And I’m going to plan better so I’m not always creating recipes at 9:30PM on Sunday night. :)

18 Jess March 4, 2013 at 6:34 pm

I could SO go for one of these muffins right now, my mouth is watering — they look amazing. LOVE that you snuck protein in there too. Genius! A healthy muffin, who knew?? ;-)

19 Kim - Liv Life March 5, 2013 at 7:44 am

And again… Love!!! A few years ago I had a zucchini plant that produced just about a zucchini a day. Last years though? I think I got 1 zucchini… not sure what happened, but it was sad! These are totally going on my menu! And that french toast too!

20 Kristina Sloggett March 9, 2013 at 8:51 am

the French toast NEEDS to happen here again too… I hope your zucchini is back this year – one year we had so many I was thinking about sneaking them into neighbors mailboxes;)

21 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen March 17, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Maple…cinnamon…AND chocolate?!?! AND they look like the most densely chewy cupcakes-masquerading-as-muffins I’ve ever seen? [OK, that I've seen in the past, say, few weeks, anyway.] You’ve outdone yourself again, m’dear.

22 Kristina Sloggett March 19, 2013 at 8:32 am

the cinnamon was SO GOOD. :) these really did stick with ya, I like that.