crispy eggplant stacks

in Cooking Light,Dinner,Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan

crispy eggplant stacks

There is a Basset Hound in our neighborhood. Jason had a Basset growing up, and being a long dog person myself, I love seeing this pup out and about. The other day, he was walking by our house and I said, “there’s the Basset – loping along…”  - Jason called him Hopalong Bassety.

I have been listening to Toby Keith nonstop in my car. Really old Toby Keith. I could not be happier, and I sing along as I drive…

crispy eggplant stacks

I am now a regular viewer of Days of our Lives. Dad got me hooked, and when I showed up on Friday, he wrote “our show is almost on”. We sit together and watch our stories every afternoon. Oh, that Stefano!

We have a small pond in our back yard. Within the last week or so, what sounds like a very large frog has taken up residence. I like him. He is loud. Ribbits all day. The dogs don’t know what to think.

crispy eggplant

After several very long weeks, I had a true weekend of relaxation and fun. Starting Thursday night, I met a friend for dinner and cocktails. Jason joined us later for trivia night, then we went to a karaoke bar and sang until 1:30 am. Friday was just for me: slept in, went to visit Dad, shopping, back home for a relaxing bath, a home facial and just… relaxing. Saturday was more of the same – relaxing at home with Jason, a visit with Dad, and meeting friends for an always fun night at Tony Starlight’s Supperclub and Lounge. It was exactly what I needed, and I feel refreshed and renewed to get back to a full schedule today.

If you like eggplant, this is the recipe for you. It is easy, it is quick, it is full of flavor. Crispy crunchy and covered in Italian flavor – and while I can find fresh basil right now, I still cannot wait for the fresh from the garden stuff…

crispy eggplant stacks

crispy eggplant stacks

inspired by open-faced eggplant sandwiches

dairy, egg, soy, and gluten free, vegan

serves four

1 medium eggplant
sea salt
1/3 cup coconut milk (So Delicious carton)
1 1/2 tablespoons flax seed, freshly ground
1 1/2 cups Erewhon Corn Flakes, crushed
double recipe of havarti cheese sauce
1 cup slow cooker basil marinara
fresh basil, chiffonaded

Grind flax seed in blender, coffee grinder. Place 2 tablespoons flax in a shallow bowl, add coconut milk and stir. Set aside to form a gel.

Clean and dry eggplant. Slice into 8 slices, about 1/2 inch each. Arrange in single layer (on plate, paper towel, etcetera) and sprinkle with sea salt. This removes excess water (and bitter flavor) from eggplant – set aside. After 20 minutes, pat eggplant slices with paper towel to absorb water beading on surface.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Using food processor or a mallet, crush corn flakes into crumb. Place in shallow bowl. Prepare a baking sheet (parchment, silpat, rack), and create a dipping station: first bowl coconut flax, second bowl corn flakes.

Dip eggplant slices into coconut flax, then into corn flakes, place on baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining 7 eggplant slices, bake at 300 for 20-25 minutes, until exterior is crispy and browned and eggplant is warmed through.

Serve over a bed of quinoa. To assemble: over quinoa, add 1-2 tablespoons marinara, then top with eggplant slice. Top with spoonful havarti sauce, a sprinkle of basil, another eggplant slice (two per serving), topped with more havarti sauce and marinara, finishing with more basil.

crispy eggplant stack

What’s randomly new with you?

1 Abby March 25, 2013 at 4:28 am

If anyone deserved a relaxing weekend of pampering and fun, it was you. It makes my heart happy you took the time to care for yourself, seeing as you care for others every single day of the week. Have a great Monday!

2 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 8:42 am

thanks, Abby – right now, I would not have it any other way, honestly. but yes, I do realize I need some down time, some ME time.

3 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 25, 2013 at 5:51 am

I am so glad you had a weekend! This makes my heart smile! I LOVE baked eggplant and never think to bread it. I need to change that. This looks amazing!

Um, random, I don’t think there’s anything normal in my life. I randomly ended up with Max’s cold. I told him that while I was happy he was sharing, these are things we don’t really need to share. ;)

I hope you have a great week my friend!

4 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 8:40 am

oooh no – I hope the cold is gone, or at least on it’s way out…

the breading on this adds a nice crunch, I love it this way! I have another idea I’ll be trying soon…

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) March 25, 2013 at 6:24 am

That looks so fantastic. Love eggplant. But I love that you had some happy days! I used to be a Days addict ;-)

6 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 8:36 am

it is funny to be watching Days again – so many new people, yet all the regular characters look EXACTLY the same…

7 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 25, 2013 at 7:02 am

I’m so glad you got to get out and have a little fun this weekend. You definitely deserved it!!

Love this idea and I just bought eggplant yesterday. Must try! Maybe with roughly ground oats? I’m somehow out of cereal. Odd.

8 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 8:35 am

OUT of cereal? this needs to be fixed immediately…

9 Roz@weightingfor50 March 25, 2013 at 9:33 am

Hi Kris. WOW…that looks delicious! Eggplant is great! I saw little mini eggplants on the weekend. Have you ever used them? Any idea whether they’re different that the big ones?

10 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 8:33 am

hmm, I have not used them, but you know I will be looking for them now! how much fun would these stacks be in mini size?!? :)

11 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl March 25, 2013 at 9:48 am

These remind me a bit of eggplant parm, which I LOVE! They look so tasty and I think that it is awesome that they are vegan :).

12 jobo March 25, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I used to LOVE Days of our Lives!!! Love that story :) and these look awesome, I have been on an eggplant kick lately!

13 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 8:18 am

this is my first eggplant in a while, but I forgot how much I enjoy them! and Days – yep. I miss it now if I don’t get to see it with Dad ;)

14 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets March 25, 2013 at 4:44 pm

I’m so glad to hear you got some relaxing time just for you this weekend. It’s always great to recharge the batteries and I can’t believe Stefano is still on Days. How about Hope? Keep taking care of you and the rest will follow.

15 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 8:15 am

yep, hope is there too, Victor also! so funny.

16 Maureen | Orgasmic Chef March 25, 2013 at 11:56 pm

My husband had a basset and a kitten and the cat would clean the dog’s ears because they always got in the food and water.

This eggplant stack is gorgeous!

17 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 8:04 am

aww – sweet kitten! and thank you Maureen!

18 Beth @ Tasty Yummies March 26, 2013 at 4:00 pm

This looks amazing. Glad you got some relaxing time to yourself. Sounds like it was much deserved!

19 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 7:44 am

thanks, Beth! XO

20 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies March 26, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Days of Our Lives is still on?! Back in college, I used to watch Passions (stop judging!) and then if I had time, I’d catch Days of Our Lives too. Good times.

I always grow lots of eggplant over the summer, so I’m going to be saving this recipe for then!

21 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 7:38 am

haa HAA – PASSIONS! I don’t think I ever watched that one but I do remember it ;)

hmm, that is one thing I’ve never had in my garden – eggplant. hmm…

22 Paula @ Vintage Kitchen March 27, 2013 at 5:44 am

I don´t like eggplant, I´m really CRAZY about it! Can´t wait to try this, the coconut milk is so intriguing. And just imagining the dog trying to figure out the rib it sound… it made my day Kristina!

23 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 7:36 am

ha – glad I could bring some fun to your day, Paula – those frogs are still going strong (there are at least TWO now, maybe three??), even in the daytime. it was cute… ;)

24 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen March 27, 2013 at 10:46 am

When I was little, and we would go to visit my grandparents in Georgia, ‘the cousins’ always looked forward to the night we got to have Bertha’s fried eggplant. She sliced it paper thin, dredged it in SOMETHING, and fried it up in the skillet. No wonder I always had fond memories of the vegetable. Your version looks a little bit more up my (trying to be healthy) alley these days. YUM.

25 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 7:33 am

your comment has me thinking – thinner slices might be great for people who don’t really care for eggplant (like Jason…). that sounds like my Grandpa Z – he grew the BIGGEST zucchini in the summertime, and he would slice it pretty thin, and coat it (egg, flour, other yummy things) and fry it. OH SO GOOD.

26 erinwyso March 28, 2013 at 3:29 am

This is such a great idea … beautifully presented and inspiring!

27 Kristina Sloggett March 29, 2013 at 7:18 am