grilled cheese wafflewich sliders

in baking,Breakfast,Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan

grilled cheese wafflewich sliders

My choosing to be present declaration has reverberated through the internet and in my inbox – and once again I am staggered by this amazing community of bloggers and readers. You get me.

Up first in my new outlook, yesterday I had a conversation with Le Cordon Bleu here in Portland. Completing a baking and pastry degree has been a dream for a long time, and I am considering it now. From a very young age I loved to bake, and I think spending a couple years doing just that in a classroom just might be my bliss.

I am going to give it a think and look closely at the curriculum. We shall see. I have two other big ideas if I decide the program isn’t for me right now.

grilled cheese waffle sandwiches

Once again I am here to remind you that April is Grilled Cheese Month.

I know.

One whole glorious month dedicated to grilled cheese.

My first contribution uses a perfectly crispy fluffy waffle for bread, and is stacked with plenty of veggies for the cheese to get all melty on.

Glorious.

grilled cheese wafflewich sliders

grilled cheese wafflewich sliders

savory zucchini waffles

adapted from sweet zucchini waffles

dairy, egg, soy, and gluten free, vegan

makes 2 large Belgian style waffles

1 cup grated zucchini
1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 cup coconut milk (So Delicious carton)
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
pinch salt

In mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly – vigorously whip by hand. Allow batter to rest several minutes, whip again.

Using a 1/2 cup measure, scoop batter onto an oiled waffle maker. Close and cook per machine instructions. I cooked mine about 3-4 minutes on one side, flipping and cooking another minute (using a waffle iron that flips).

For each slider:

1 crispy lettuce leaf
1 tomato slice
dairy free cheese
1 savory waffle quarter

Slice waffle quarter in half to make two pieces of “bread”. Place cheese on one side of waffle, set on baking sheet and toast in oven (at 350) until cheese is melted and waffle crispy. Stack tomato and lettuce on top of melted cheese, cover with other waffle slice.

grilled cheese wafflewich sliders

Will you be celebrating grilled cheese month?

Do you have any favorite grilled cheese combinations?

1 Abby April 3, 2013 at 4:37 am

I swear I need to move to Portland. We don’t have a Master Veg program, a Le Cordon Bleu program, etc. Plus, no Spabettie either ;) I would be interested in all and any of those things!

But good luck with your new ventures. I have no doubt that you will rock whatever you decide to pursue.

2 Kristina Sloggett April 15, 2013 at 9:21 am

see, this is what I am thinking too. Portland needs YOU.

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) April 3, 2013 at 5:10 am

So proud of you! This is awesome news my friend. I love that you’re already moving forward with your new mindset. And this sandwich? How fantastic would that be to have for lunch today!

4 Kristina Sloggett April 15, 2013 at 9:20 am

thanks, Heather – I am at least thinking about it, until I have more time to DO. :)

5 jobo April 3, 2013 at 6:15 am

Presence…should be a virtue, shouldn’t it?! LOVE.
and I cannot WAIT To see all the grilled cheesy goodness you come up with this month! this looks fab, I need a waffle maker!

6 Kristina Sloggett April 15, 2013 at 9:20 am

I have another cheesy crazy good sandwich coming soon… OH SWOON. this one will not require a waffle maker… ;)

7 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 3, 2013 at 7:48 am

You really did inspire me. I dropped my schedule and made time for dinner with a friend last night. Bet decision ever!!! Thank you.

8 Kristina Sloggett April 15, 2013 at 9:17 am

aww, YAY – so happy you did, that makes me smile So Big! XO

9 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 3, 2013 at 7:50 am

Well, I will now after those pictures! Damn woman! I love waffle sandwiches too! YUM! I was so mad that the Art Institute’s Culinary School started a pastry program right as I was about to graduate. I, of course, couldn’t continue on…I am a baker at heart though. It will always be my thing. I love how I zone out when I bake and it’s the only thing I ever take chances with. I know my flours and how my liquids and leaveners work…it’s kind of spiritual for me. Weird, but true. I don’t know how you do all you do. You are truly an inspiration. xoxo

10 Kristina Sloggett April 15, 2013 at 9:14 am

we have an Art Institute here too, I just received information about their programs (I took a few art classes there when I was in high school – it would be great to return in a different capacity!).

and thanks, girl – I appreciate that. I honestly don’t know how I do it all sometimes – I think I am in auto pilot for some of it ;) I am hoping for a break soon, though. I can admit I need it.

happy Monday, dear friend! XO

11 Ashley F. April 3, 2013 at 8:21 am

I think it’s awesome that you are following your dreams – so cool to see people choosing happiness!

Happiness for me right now would come in the form of those delectable waffle sammies – can you ship me some? :)

12 Kristina Sloggett April 15, 2013 at 9:10 am

choosing happiness – I wish it were easier for more people to see. I am realistic and know it is not always easy, but there is always a choice in how we approach things, right?

13 madison v. April 3, 2013 at 1:53 pm

These look absolutely delicious! They would go even better with some buffalo wings. Good luck with LCB!

14 Kristina Sloggett April 15, 2013 at 7:43 am

thank you Madison!

15 Jess April 3, 2013 at 2:12 pm

1) grilled cheese waffle sliders?? Genius x1000

2) LOVE the response you got on your post about being more present!

3) you would CRUSH a pastry degree. Just sayin.

16 Kristina Sloggett April 15, 2013 at 7:42 am

yeee!! to all three ;)

17 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets April 3, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Grilled cheese month. Oh my Gosh I have died and gone to heaven. I need to get on this stat!!!

18 Kristina Sloggett April 15, 2013 at 7:40 am

yes. you do.

19 Kristy April 3, 2013 at 7:24 pm

These look absolutely divine! Lord knows I love my waffles and my grilled cheese sammies!

Pastry school sounds so exciting! Good for you in taking steps to living the life you want to be leading. :-)

20 Kristina Sloggett April 15, 2013 at 7:40 am

thanks Kristy – we will see, I am looking for a good fit with culinary programs. I love both waffles and grilled cheese – why not combine them? :)

21 spabettiemom April 4, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Ijust finished a grilled pepper-jack and dill pickle sandwich….loved it….

22 Kristina Sloggett April 15, 2013 at 6:54 am

on your new bread? that sounds perfect, I love pickles on pretty much anything…

23 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies April 4, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Holy crap, this looks incredible! All that oozy cheese–oh man. It didn’t occur to me that it was grilled cheese month until I saw someone mention it yesterday. I’m so bad at keeping up with all these food holidays and months!

Good luck with the Le Cordon Bleu! You should always follow your bliss. :)

24 Kristina Sloggett April 15, 2013 at 6:53 am

I know – Grilled Cheese deserves a whole month, yes? I definitely don’t usually know/remember many of the food days, but they are fun!

25 Liz April 8, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Kristina,

I’m curious about the Le Cordon Bleu schooling. Are you a plant-based eater for health reasons, without paying mind to the ethical aspect of it? I’m just wondering if your dietary views will be a hurdle to overcome in the program or if it won’t be a concern for you. I only ask because I’ve been interested in culinary schooling but have never found a way to do that while being an ethical plant-based eater. I don’t mean to be nosy! :)

26 Kristina Sloggett April 14, 2013 at 10:26 pm

hi Liz,

that is definitely a concern – one of the reasons I said it may not be a good fit. The program I want to do is the Baking and Pastry degree, but I’d still have to be okay with animal products, butter and dairy. I know I could never do the whole cooking school and work with meat – nope. There are other options, I could get more involved with the Vegan Fusion class I took last year, or find others. We will see! :)

27 Yum Yucky April 10, 2013 at 11:38 am

“wafflewhich” is a word filled with much fanciness. I approve of this recipe. Preferably, if it were in my stomachs.

28 Kristina Sloggett April 14, 2013 at 10:07 pm

it’s a good one, indeed – a nice crispy waffle makes a great sandwich bread!

29 Yum Yucky April 10, 2013 at 11:39 am

darn… I spelled it wrong. “Wafflewich”. That’s much better.

30 Katy @ Katy's Kitchen April 12, 2013 at 5:46 am

What kind of dairy free cheese did you use? I like the idea of using waffles as bread, I have yet to try a packaged gluten-free bread and I’m a little nervous to make one.

31 Kristina Sloggett April 14, 2013 at 9:48 pm

hi Katy, my favorite dairy free cheese is the wedges from Daiya – the havarti is my favorite, but the other two are great as well (jack and cheddar). these wafflewiches used a different kind, a sliced cheese of some kind (I cannot recall which one, a rice based I think?). Daiya would have worked well, my store was out at the time!

32 Hanna April 26, 2013 at 2:31 pm

When my husband saw this recipe he demanded that I make it sometime this week.
When I got up today I noticed that my waffle iron had mysteriously gotten out of the cabinet and onto the counter.
Guess I know what I am making for dinner tonight, and I am sure it will be great, because EVERY single thing I have made from your blog is!