ginger-cashew nori rolls

in appetizers,Dinner,Gluten Free,raw,recipes,Vegan

ginger-cashew nori rolls

The first few days of April I completed a five day juice cleanse and then another several days of juicing and mostly raw foods.

For several lunches I made my ginger-cashew nori rolls, using whatever fillings I found in my produce drawers. There are two rolls in the photos – a mango roll (um, yum) and a pepper-bean roll. So so good.

And so so simple. Really.

ginger-cashew nori rolls

Jason and I have a few favorite sushi restaurants we frequent (one has confirmed vegan miso, and all of them make me fantastic veggie rolls), and the one thing we always bring with us? These little fish with gluten free soy sauce. If we forget it, Jason is already feeling before dinner is done – he is even more gluten intolerant than I am.

So we love Little Soya because it is gluten free, but just as important is the amazing flavor. The reason we keep buying Little Soya and the reason I am going on and on about it today, this is the best tasting soy sauce I have ever had. Not even kidding – and this is just me saying so, and wanting everyone to taste this because it’s so good.

Can I say umami? Because that is what comes to mind when I try to describe the flavor – it is so much richer and deeper in flavor than any other soy sauce or gluten free alternative I have tried.

It is so good with these nori rolls…

ginger-cashew nori rolls

ginger-cashew nori rolls

dairy, egg, and gluten free, vegan, raw

makes 2 full rolls (sliced into 6 pieces each)

3/4 cup raw cashews
3/4 inch ginger, peeled and minced fine*
1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
2 sheets dried nori seaweed
veggies of choice (sliced mango, bell pepper, green beans)
sesame seeds for garnish

*adjust amount to taste

In food processor, pulse cashews, ginger and rice vinegar to a paste. Carefully spread an even layer onto nori sheets. Line the filling vegetables along one edge, roll tightly. Using a sharp knife, cut each roll in half, then cut each half into three equal sized pieces (cleaning knife after each cut).

Arrange on serving plate, sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Serve with Little Soya gluten free soy sauce!

ginger-cashew nori rolls

Have you ever seen these cute fish? If you are interested in Little Soya, you can find it at these stores, and I buy it at my local grocery store. If you are looking for gluten free and low sodium, I definitely recommend it!

What’s your favorite kind of sushi? Have you ever had mango sushi?

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) April 16, 2013 at 4:08 am

These look so good – and super fun to make and eat. We haven’t made sushi rolls in ages. A little messy, but worth it!

2 Kristina Sloggett April 18, 2013 at 1:09 pm

so worth it!

3 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 16, 2013 at 5:14 am

I am the worst sushi-roller ever. But its really the taste that matters, right? ;)

LOVE the paste idea! That sounds delicious – and so creative!

4 Kristina Sloggett April 18, 2013 at 1:08 pm

exactly – or just do a rough handroll (geez, there is no way to write that without sounding bad…) ;)

5 Kate | Food Babbles April 16, 2013 at 5:59 am

I’m so intrigued by these little rolls! I’ve never tried making any sushi or rolls at home. I usually leave it to the professionals but these sound so tasty and easy to make. I think I may have to give it a go! Thanks for inspiring confidence ;)

6 Kristina Sloggett April 18, 2013 at 1:06 pm

oh, Kate you are welcome! I hope you do try – if you are careful it is not too difficult. and SO tasty! XO

7 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 16, 2013 at 8:02 am

This looks so cute! I love the little fish soy sauce! Too cute. The more veggies in my rolls the better is my opinion. I’m guess you already knew that though. ;)

8 Kristina Sloggett April 18, 2013 at 1:05 pm

aren’t the fish SO cute? resealable, too, although I always use it all. SO good.

9 Heather @ Better With Veggies April 16, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Yummy!!! I love mango in my sushi and I haven’t tried non-rice sushi rice, so this is going on my list of things to try. :)

Did you like your juice fast? Did you juice yourself or buy?

10 Kristina Sloggett April 18, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I did like it – I bought a 3 day, then juiced my own after. I love the variety in the purchased (Cooler Cleanse is my favorite!), and it is SO easy. Once I get into my “groove” of juicing I’m good, though…

11 Kat @ Balance & Spice April 16, 2013 at 3:30 pm

These look so fantastic – I avoid rice, and making cauliflower rice sushi is delish but can take a long time. These look so easy and yummy!

12 Kristina Sloggett April 18, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Kat, rice to me is FILLER, I’d rather leave it out too! the cauliflower rice is good, but I find it is not sticky enough for rolls (and then I have to add something to it so it will stick, nah…). this is my answer to that! :)

13 Eileen April 16, 2013 at 6:02 pm

SUSHI! I straight up could not eat it until I was 30, but now? IT’S ON. I love the idea of using cashew-ginger puree in place of the rice here! And yes, I have had mango in sushi–fresh mango with tempura sweet potato in an inside-out roll. So good.

14 Kristina Sloggett April 18, 2013 at 12:57 pm

oh, I love tempura sweet potato rolls – I have NOT had them with mango… NEED to!

15 Maureen | Orgasmic Chef April 16, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I’m all thumbs when it comes to these rolls but just the mention of mango sends my heart spinning.

16 Kristina Sloggett April 18, 2013 at 12:57 pm

the mango was my favorite – I made a couple “tubes” and just ate them like that, without cutting into small pieces. like a big yummy mango cigar ;)

17 Ari @ Ari's Menu April 16, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I’ve always wanted to try making my own sushi!! I love that you made it without rice. I never even thought rice-free sushi existed. Shows how much I know… ;)

18 Kristina Sloggett April 18, 2013 at 12:55 pm

SO GOOD :)

19 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies April 17, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Mango in sushi?! Oh yes! The closest thing I’ve had to that was plum, but mango sounds much better. :) I keep meaning to try making my own sushi because sadly, we can’t find a many veg options at the restaurants here. They all have the obligatory kappa roll and that’s it.

20 Kristina Sloggett April 18, 2013 at 12:44 pm

ooh, the umeboshi sushi? YES so good! we have a couple great places that have a small “veggie” menu, and I ask for things… :) one of the perks of being recognized as a regular, I guess!

21 chaya April 20, 2013 at 2:03 pm

I have made raw sushi with hemp seeds as the rice, use some agave and vinegar to create the “sticky” rice. So good, a bit expensive. Also I havent tried either cauliflower rice or jicama rice, but those are two other options to consider to replace the rice. I have had some vege sushi with macadamias, that was divine. I do love mango in rolls!