roasted garlic and raspberry Big Salad

in appetizers,Dinner,Gluten Free,Meatless Monday,recipes,summertime,Vegan

roasted garlic and raspberry Big Salad

My mom and I have been known to roast two or three heads of garlic and eat them for lunch. All of it, all the cloves. With crackers or bread.

So good.

Roasted garlic is my favorite.

how to roast garlic

I know it is straight up summertime when I am craving a big salad. I ate two salads yesterday. This is my new favorite salad. We first made it last month with Jason’s mom was visiting, and I have not been able to stop eating it since.

So simple, yet so flavorful.

roasted garlic and raspberry salad

roasted garlic and raspberry Big Salad

makes two Big Salads

1 bulb garlic, roasted (method below)
large bowl mixed greens (red romaine, baby spinach, butter lettuce, arugula)
1/2 pint fresh raspberries
1/2 cup raw cashews
sea salt and pepper
fresh raspberry vinaigrette (recipe follows)

roasting the garlic:

Peel the layers away from the garlic bulb, and slice the top off to expose the cloves inside. Set the bulb on the middle of a piece of aluminum foil (large enough to cover garlic bulb), drizzle with olive oil. Salt and pepper, and wrap the foil up around the garlic, covering completely.

Place on a baking sheet and cook in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes or until garlic cloves are softened. Set aside to cool.

salad assembly:

To the large bowl of greens, add warm roasted garlic, raspberries, cashews, salt and pepper and vinaigrette.

fresh raspberry vinaigrette

1/2 pint fresh raspberries
juice and zest of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
pinch sea salt

Combine all ingredients in blender, blend on high until smooth.

raspberry and roasted garlic salad

Hop on over to Heather ‘s site for today’s garlic recipes:

Meatless Monday recipes

1 Miz July 15, 2013 at 4:46 am

oooh this is just my SummerSpeed, too.

2 Heather (Where's the Beach) July 15, 2013 at 5:29 am

Oh wow – this sounds fantastic. I just happen to have 4 bulbs of garlic I just picked up.

3 Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie July 15, 2013 at 6:08 am

Yum! This salad looks AMAZING!

4 Bianca- Vegan Crunk July 15, 2013 at 8:27 am

Roasted garlic is the BEST! I could eat a whole head by itself! But it would also be perfect in this salad.

5 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 15, 2013 at 8:49 am

I looooove roasted garlic! Can I have that for my birthday dinner tonight??

6 spabettie mom July 15, 2013 at 9:43 am

Oh my mouth is watering just thinking about that garlic…salad looks great!

7 Eileen July 15, 2013 at 10:36 am

ALL THE GARLIC! Yay! This salad sounds fantastic–sweet and rich and mellow and pungent all at once. :)

8 jobo July 15, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Gah, YUM! I NEVER roast garlic yet it is so easy to do. Wonder if it could be grilled…hmm. too hot to roast right now ;-) this salad looks heavenly! I am way behind in reading! but this caught my eye and I wanted to say hi!

9 Heather @ Better With Veggies July 15, 2013 at 8:25 pm

I love roasted garlic and I would happily join you for eating multiple heads in one sitting. So delicious!! Love that you used this in a salad! :)

10 Elle July 15, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Oh this looks amazing. I have to have this. Soon. Thanks so much for sharing your technique.

11 Gillian July 16, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Roasted garlic belongs on everything, in copious amounts.

The title completely reminded me of the Big Salad Seinfeld episode :)

12 Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts July 17, 2013 at 6:35 am

Oh, I’m all about garlic all the time and definitely all about big salads at the moment! Will be making one today for my lunch as I might indulge more tonight. ;-) Love this combination of ingredients, Kristina, and your “straight up summertime” description. Yep, it is straight up summertime here, too. :-)

xo,
Shirley

13 Jackie @ Vegan Yack Attack! July 18, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I LOVE GARLIC. Enough so that I think I’ve made my dad sick of it, how that happens I’ll never understand.

This salad looks so tasty and beautiful. I love the addition of cashews, too. Mmmm.. I’m going to have to fly up there and have you make me some. ;)

14 Kath (My Funny Little Life) July 23, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Ooooohhh, this looks just beautiful! :D

15 Becky Noffsinger July 26, 2013 at 8:46 am

I have been lusting for this salad all week, and the ingredients have all assembled themselves for today’s lunch. Can’t wait to try it!

16 Kristina Sloggett July 26, 2013 at 12:34 pm

yay! I am so happy you liked it – we have been enjoying it at least once a week…

17 Elaine July 27, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Oh wow! I harvested my garlic from my garden a couple of weeks ago and have been dying to roast it now that I have so much. This salad looks fabulous! Thanks for sharing it with us.