cherry vanilla protein French toast

in Breakfast,cherry season,Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan

cherry vanilla protein French toast

It is cherry season again.

and all I have to do is share some of my cherries with the birds in our yard. I try to get to them before they do, but our tree is large. As in tall. Next year, renting a cherry picker.

When you have huge bowls of cherries, you tend to think of some pretty off the wall things to do with them. Like French toast. Cherry French toast.

In my mind, this French toast was a very pretty shade of pink.

Piping hot:

cherry vanilla French toast

In reality, it was a darker shade, but still pink.

Never mind the aesthetics, this is tasty town. This custard recipe uses protein powder for some oomph, and the result is a bit of a crunchy finish. Unexpected, but we liked it.

Dried dates and fresh ripe cherries bring the natural sweetness, and the coconut milk and double dose of vanillas, a rich finish.

vegan French toast

cherry vanilla protein French toast

dairy, egg, soy, and gluten free, vegan

makes 6 pieces French toast

1/2 cup fresh cherries, pitted
2-3 large Medjool dates, pitted
1/3 cup coconut milk (So Delicious carton)
2 scoops vanilla protein powder
1 tablespoon vanilla paste

6 slices gluten free bread

To make the “custard”:

Combine cherries, dates and coconut milk in high speed blender, blend until smooth. Add protein and vanilla, blend to combine.

Dip each slice of bread to coat completely in custard, set in prepared (sprayed/buttered) griddle over medium heat. Cook until it comes away from griddle (couple-few minutes), flip and cook through on other side.

Serve with fresh fruit and maple syrup.

cherry French toast

I love French toast.

Prefer other cherry-filled options for breakfast? Try these:

perfect cherry pancakes

cherry-ginger coconut quinoa

cherry zucchini crumb muffins

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) July 18, 2013 at 5:15 am

I hope you know you’re making me want cherries! Not a bad thing though right? In fact…I won a giveaway for Cheribundi and have been trying that. YUM. Hope you have a wonderfully fantastic day!

2 Ashley F. July 18, 2013 at 7:29 am

Cherries are still a little hit or miss for me, though I definitely want to give this a try. As far as aesthetics go, I was in Door County, WI last week (where cherries reign supreme!) and the cherry trees were so heavy with fruit that it made for some of the most spectacular views of the orchards I’ve ever seen (and I’ve been going there for many years). So pretty!

3 jobo July 18, 2013 at 8:41 am

YUM!!!!!!!!!! want!! funny thing though, since cherries are in season such a short time, I always just want to eat them as is, but all of your receipes look so freaking good!

4 Liz July 18, 2013 at 7:50 pm

I’m so jealous you have a cherry tree! How awesome is that. I will come pick the high cherries for you! (I’ll just need a ladder…)

The french toast sounds amazing. Love that you sweeten with dates, I’m a huge date sweetening kick lately.

5 Vivian Rowe July 19, 2013 at 4:34 am

Wow! I love these recipes! Cherry is our all-time favorite. I would love to try every recipe in this post. Thanks for sharing! :-)

6 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate July 19, 2013 at 10:50 pm

This looks wonderful, I am on a serious cherry kick right now!

7 Kristina Sloggett July 26, 2013 at 1:53 pm

’tis the season, right? :) cherries abound!

8 foodwandeirngs July 21, 2013 at 4:10 pm

I love this twist on french toast, Kristina. Yum & definitely would have this as b’fast for dinner! :)

9 Kristina Sloggett July 26, 2013 at 1:52 pm

we LOVE breakfast for dinner… this would be perfect! :)

10 Heather @ Better With Veggies July 22, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I haven’t made french toast in ages, but this looks so delicious!!

11 Kristina Sloggett July 26, 2013 at 1:38 pm

thanks Heather – I used to LOVE French toast, I have to have it every now and then…

12 whiness July 22, 2013 at 11:36 pm

It looks so good :) I haven’t made french toasts for ages! I need to change that :)

Yuur version must be delicious.

13 Kristina Sloggett July 26, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I know, French toast was one thing I missed until I created an egg free version :) I hope you enjoy some soon!

14 Kori July 24, 2013 at 6:23 pm

I swear everything I look at on food gawker leads me back to you! Another justification to buy cherries this week!

15 Kristina Sloggett July 26, 2013 at 1:04 pm

aww, THANKS Kori! :) enjoy!