goodbye

in real life wisdom

Monday evening, while listening to M*A*S*H, Dad peacefully slipped away.

In this week I have been shown an overwhelming amount of thoughtfulness and support – I will share some of this later. I have experienced laughter through tears and unbearable sadness as I spend time with those who loved him dearly. So many memories to share and treasure.

I miss his one of a kind humor, his bright happy smile. I keep with me his interminable strength and gentle stubbornness. His love for classic cars, loud music and wine.

Until we take him back ‘home’ to Hawaii, this is how I am remembering Dad:

hula dancing in Hawaii

Keep dancing, Dad – your joyful spirit lives on.

1 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 23, 2013 at 10:17 am

Oh friend, I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. You are such an amazing soul and while I’m sad for your loss, I am so happy that you were able to have the time you did with your dad. I love you and am always here for you. I’m sending so many virtual hugs to you. xoxox

2 Heather (Where's the Beach) August 23, 2013 at 10:19 am

I am so so sorry for your loss. My heart is heavy for you. Sending you many hugs.

3 Chef Amber Shea August 23, 2013 at 10:22 am

I’m so sorry for your loss, Kristina.

4 jobo August 23, 2013 at 10:26 am

Friend, I am so so very sorry for your loss. what a beautiful, simply stated tribute. We are all here for you virtually, sending our love and support. XOXO.

5 Jess August 23, 2013 at 10:27 am

Your father was an incredible soul — a soul that very clearly lives on brightly in you. Sending you much love as you grieve for your beloved father. xoxo

6 Loanna Overcash August 23, 2013 at 10:42 am

I am very sorry for your loss. Have been following your blog for a while now and my heart aches for you.

7 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 23, 2013 at 10:51 am

I’m thinking about you, my friend. So very sorry for your loss. My dad would have been 58 today. You never will stop missing him, but it does get less raw with time. Much love. xoxo

8 Lisa August 23, 2013 at 10:52 am

What a great photo of him!
I’m sorry for your loss Kristina. :(

9 The Peace Patch August 23, 2013 at 10:57 am

{{{HUGS}}} to you Kristina.
I lost my father last year…I cry less now and smile more when I remember him. Give your grief lots of time…the love he left in your heart will shine through it more and more. You are an enduring legacy of his goodness. Blessed be.
{{{HUGS}}} whenever you need them. :)

10 janetha August 23, 2013 at 10:58 am

<3<3<3

11 Teena August 23, 2013 at 11:18 am

Did I almost cry? Yes… I really almost did. My heart is sad. It feels strange since I’ve never met you but as an avid reader of your blog I feel a connection to you. Hugs to you and your family. I’m sure Heaven is rejoicing as it celebrates the arrival of their newest angel.

12 Abby August 23, 2013 at 11:35 am

As you know, there are no words. Yet the ones that you used were exquisite, my friend. XO

13 Emma August 23, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I’m so sorry to hear your sad news. I love those pictures- what lovely memories! It’s definitely important to think of all the good times right now.

14 Julie Hasson August 23, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss Kristina. Sending you lots of hugs. xoxo

15 purelytwins August 23, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Kristina we are so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you and your family. HUGS

16 Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes August 23, 2013 at 2:01 pm

A big hug for you and your family Kristina.

17 lynn @ the actor's diet August 23, 2013 at 4:21 pm

my heart is with you, dear kristina. my father passed away last year aug. 12th and it is a long journey that will continually define you. xoxoxo

18 Chely August 23, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. A big hug for you and your family.

19 barb August 23, 2013 at 7:29 pm

One of my favorite comments…” Let us not mourn the absence of the flame..but celebrate how brightly that it burned! Hugs

20 Cara August 23, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Growing up, my father used to rewind the movie “Grease” to repeat this line until it was grilled into our little ears:
The only man a girl can depend on is her daddy.
Sounds like you were lucky enough to understand the meaning. Sending you nothing but my heart over this comment.

21 jacquie August 23, 2013 at 7:46 pm

i’m so sorry for your loss. he sounds like a wonderful person who had a huge role in your life. I’m glad you had each other and your relationship for as long as you did. my those memories provide at least a little ray of light and comfort to you in this dark time.

22 oh Holland August 23, 2013 at 7:49 pm

I’m new to your blog Kristina so didn’t know anything about you except for tahini fudge. Nonetheless, reading about your dear Dad made me cry. I’m sure he was a remarkable man. My deep sympathy to you and all who love him.

23 Barbara | Creative Culinary August 23, 2013 at 7:58 pm

So very sorry for your loss Kristina; my dad is in the hospital and may be gone soon…I can almost feel your sorrow but I know also the relief of letting them go when it’s their time. Take good care; I’ll be thinking of you.

24 Christine August 23, 2013 at 8:00 pm

My heart is so sad for you. Know our thoughts are with you. xo

25 Heather @ Better With Veggies August 23, 2013 at 8:03 pm

I’m so sorry to hear that your dad left us this week, but I am sure that he couldn’t have asked for a better daughter to make his time on this earth wonderful. I’m praying for you and I am here if you need anyone to talk to!

26 deb August 23, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I am sorry for you loss. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family

27 Kim Beaulieu August 23, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Oh Kristina, I am so sorry for your loss. My heart just goes out to you right now. If you ever need a shoulder I’m here for you. Big hugs. xx

28 Kelli August 23, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I’m so sorry that your time with your father here has passed ~ but what wonderful memories you have of him, and had right up to the end. Those are terrific photos ~ I’m sure he’s happy to know that you remember him so joyfully. My thoughts are with you xx

29 Kelly August 23, 2013 at 9:10 pm

So glad you have such rich memories. Your dad sounds like he was a treasure. I’m so sorry for your loss.

30 Brandie (@ Home Cooking Memories) August 23, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Just wanted to say that I’m so sorry for your loss. I unexpectedly lost my dad last year…he was only 64. It sounds like your dad had things in common with mine…and if so, that must mean that he was quite awesome. Hugs to you, Kristina.

31 lindsay August 24, 2013 at 3:09 am

I’ve been praying and praying! So sorry for your loss friend. But i am so glad yiu have been able to be by his side all these months. He felt that love.
May you keep dancing in his honor. Love you!

32 Liz August 24, 2013 at 5:04 am

Kristina, I am so, so sorry to hear your sad news. Sending you a huge hug and special thoughts during this difficult time. xoxo

33 SallyBR August 24, 2013 at 5:35 am

My profound condolences… having lost my Dad 9 years ago, I know the pain is sharp at first but then gives place to sweet, endless memories

Your Dad sounds like a fantastic man, and your tribute to him very touching.

34 dorry August 24, 2013 at 8:37 am

I’m so sorry for your loss. Your devotion to your dad’s happiness and wellbeing has been an inspiration to witness. Sending you my love and hugs + prayers for peace and comfort to get through this time. Love you!

35 Geanna August 24, 2013 at 10:10 am

Kristina, I am so so sorry to hear about your father. If there’s anything I can do for you, please don’t hesitate to let me know. My thoughts are with you and your family.

36 Sue Coyle August 24, 2013 at 11:53 am

So very sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers for comfort and healing are with you. Hugs;-)

37 Maureen | Orgasmic Chef August 25, 2013 at 1:32 am

I’m so sorry. In spite of the immense sadness, this was a beautiful post.

38 Gabby @ the veggie nook August 25, 2013 at 9:53 am

I am so so so sorry for your loss. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and send love and healing to you.

39 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) August 25, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Aw, sad to hear about this Kristina! Sending happy thoughts your way.

40 Penny August 25, 2013 at 5:24 pm

My sincerest condolences on your dad’s passing.

41 Robin August 26, 2013 at 1:36 am

I’m so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you.

42 Miz August 26, 2013 at 5:24 am

checking back in on you.
sending you my prayers.

43 Bianca- Vegan Crunk August 26, 2013 at 9:24 am

I’m so sorry, Kristina. Your dad sounds like he was amazing man with a fun spirit. We’re all thinking of you and your family in this tough time.

44 Mardi August 26, 2013 at 10:16 am

Tears are in my eyes and heart for you. So sorry. Pain is a direct mirror of joy. If your pain is great then I know your joy was great and for that you can be so grateful.

We don’t know you personally but we know your sweetness and your spirit. So sorry for your pain.

45 Eileen August 26, 2013 at 11:44 am

I’m so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you & your family.

46 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies August 26, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss, Kristina. I hope that all the good memories you have will help bring you and your family comfort, but I know it’s so hard right now…

47 natalie@thesweetslife August 26, 2013 at 6:21 pm

what a beautiful tribute to your dad. I’m so sorry for your loss, but so thankful for all the time you got to spend with him!

48 Clare August 27, 2013 at 12:34 pm

I just stumbled across your blog and this post. I’m glad I did. This is a beautiful goodbye to your father. Thank you for sharing it with us. I am so sorry for your loss.

Clare Golemon

49 Angie August 27, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I am SO sorry for your loss.
Love, peace & prayers,
~Angie

50 Lora @cakeduchess August 27, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I love that you were so close to your dad. I feel your pain and I know the loss is so difficult to go through. I’m so sorry for your loss, Kristina. I’m here for you always. Lots of love.Lots of hugs. xoxo

51 Linnea August 28, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Kristina, I am so sorry to hear this. I hope you and your family are enveloped with comfort and support. Thinking of you. xo

52 Ana August 30, 2013 at 4:08 am

With deepest sympathy.

A poem says, “When a friend leaves there is an empty space
that can not be filled with all the water of the oceans”
I experience it last year… My friend and I became so close, like a couple of sisters. Perhaps sounds strange for you, but I talk to her every single day. I do feel her presence, in spirit. Like when Jesus died and stayed with his disciples for a while. For a year, I have being filling that empty space with the fun memories we share. Really, I feel my friend comforts me a lot. Some people told me that a person leaves the body but they stay with us.
Always remember the good family times. That is something that nobody can take away from you.

53 Kath (My Funny Little Life) August 30, 2013 at 7:38 am

<3 <3 <3

Nothing more to say.

54 bitt August 31, 2013 at 7:28 pm

so sorry for your loss. how heartbreaking. i can tell how much he meant to you by your posts about him. and that you were a special daughter.

55 veganlinda September 2, 2013 at 12:30 am

I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a parent is never easy. Thank you for sharing your dad with us. I wish my mom has died peacefully listening to MASH…she loved that show. Hugs and strength and hopefully some peace to you. Even over a decade later I pick up the phone to call my mom. They never stop being a part of our lives. I am so glad you have people to share memories of him. My deepest sympathies.

56 Lauren @ Me and the Mountains September 3, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Lots of love to you my friend.
Here’s a funny fact- my mom was watching M*A*S*H* in the hospital room the moment I was born. I guess that show has some strange connection to the beginning and end of life!
xoxo

57 Kim - Liv Life September 7, 2013 at 10:48 am

Beautiful pictures Kristina!! I know I never got to meet him IRL, but somehow I really felt like I knew him through you. Thoughts of him flash through my head almost every day, and I am positively certain that he is dancing!! All my love to you….