croque monsieur stuffed waffles

in appetizers,Dinner,Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan,Vegan MoFo

croque monsieur stuffed waffles

veganmofo

One of the most popular sandwiches at that deli I ran was a toasted croque monsieur. I am positive it still is. Equal to the espresso line in the morning and the lineup for soup on cold Portland days, the line for hot sandwiches snaked around the store.

Just thinking about all of that brings nostalgia – I am ready for crisp cool fall days.

Soup. Lining up for your food cart favorite.

Walking down the street drinking warm coffee, cold morning air that you can see your breath in.

Hot sandwiches toasted on a panini press.

or stuffed waffles.

croque monsieur stuffed waffle

I recently revisited up my habit of stuffing things into waffles. I have some good ones (almost thought about making it my Vegan MoFo theme…), although stuffing a waffle with tahini kale may still top the list of Strange but Good.

The recipe I am sharing today? Is one hundred percent Straight Up Good.

Also? I will take any excuse to eat cornichons.

croque monsieur waffles

croque monsieur stuffed waffles

YIELD: four Belgian style waffles

dairy and egg free, vegan

INGREDIENTS:

your favorite waffle recipe
4 slices vegan ham
4 slices vegan cheese (I used ‘provolone’)
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
cornichons for garnish

INSTRUCTIONS:

Slice ham and cheese into smaller pieces to stack / fit the size of the waffle. Pour a small amount (1/4 to 1/3 cup, depending on size of iron) into prepared waffle iron. Place ham and cheese slices in the middle, leaving an edge. Spread mustard over cheese, cover with another 1/4 cup batter.

Close and cook per machine instructions. I cooked mine about 3-4 minutes on one side, flipping and cooking another minute (using a waffle iron that flips).

Spell-check wanted to change cornichon to unicorn.

vegan croque monsieur stuffed waffles

I love that.

1 Banana Wonder September 3, 2013 at 3:49 am

Mmmm looks amazing! Love your site too. Miss Strange But Good referred me herself!

2 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 3, 2013 at 5:10 am

I 100% think you should link this up friday for #strangebutgood.

Croque Monsieur is one of my favorites… there’s a fancy bar here that sells them… out of all the crazy, delicious items on their menu, I am forced to order this every time I go. I can’t even imagine how awesome this is with a waffle.

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) September 3, 2013 at 6:30 am

Ok, seriously, you make me want to eat waffles!

4 Sal September 3, 2013 at 8:42 am

oh my lordy, you’ve made me want to dig out my waffle maker from the depths of my loft!! These look unbelievably rad!

5 Heather @ Better With Veggies September 3, 2013 at 9:45 am

Wow. This makes me so hungry – good thing I have another meal scheduled in 15 minutes. :) Love the sound of this!!

6 Laurel September 3, 2013 at 10:16 am

You are SUCH a clever girl, always have been. I once had a waffle iron and gave it away! Obviously there’s a LOT more self control in your house than mine. :-)

7 Ashley F. September 3, 2013 at 10:32 am

Looks delish! I have been dragging my feet on the waffle maker, but it’s time…

8 Stephanie, The Recipe Renovator September 3, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Now I understand how you do this! You are amazing. I too, love eating unicorns.

9 Claryn September 3, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Holy waffles, this is such a cool idea! Whodathunk I was in good company that time I “stuffed” pancakes with (vegan) sausage (and everyone thought I was crazy!). I really feel vindicated. ;)

10 Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts September 3, 2013 at 7:49 pm

I love waffle sandwiches, but I have not made them using this method. I want one!! :-) I’ll skip the pickles though. I know … I’m “abby normal.” ;-)

xo,
Shirley

11 Julie Hasson September 3, 2013 at 8:48 pm

You’re absolutely brilliant Kristina! I can’t wait to give this a try.

12 Erin September 4, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Stuffed waffles are a fantabulous idea!

13 Kelli September 4, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Wow – what a fantastic idea! I need to make them now :-) They look amazing….

14 GaietyGirl September 5, 2013 at 2:38 am

That looks so tasty – I love your plate as well :)