kabocha fries with buffalo celery ranch

in appetizers,baking,Dinner,Gluten Free,recipes,Vegan,Vegan MoFo

kabocha fries with buffalo celery ranch dressing

veganmofo

I have a couple early food memories around squash.

One is Grandpa Z’s zucchini. He would grow them bigger than our dachshund.

He would slice them into half-inch rounds, batter and fry them. Oooh mama, those were some good eatin’. Summertime at the grandparents house was fun and tasty.

I can still see Grandpa Z holding up one of his big zucchini, huge grin on his face.

The second memory is my mom’s favorite way to prepare squash – split in half, scoop out the innards, bake with a couple pats of butter and a sprinkle of brown sugar.

Another one of my favorite ways to eat squash.

Until now. Just look at this:

kabocha baked fries

For who knows how long now, I have watched my friend Sarena enjoy kabocha all kinds of ways. Raves about it, she does. I see several of the Sherpas eating it, and Laura has kabocha nearly every day, right Laura?

Here in Portland, the kabocha is an elusive winter squash – it cannot be found in the normal market. Just as I gave up the long search, I found two massive piles of kabocha at my favorite Asian market!

Immediately three of them jumped into my cart.

That was a week ago. I have been back for more, and I refuse to cop to the current number of kabocha in my kitchen. Let’s just say I am celebrating everything kabocha.

kabocha fries

kabocha fries

YIELD: I suppose I could share these (makes 25-30 fries, serves several)

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

INGREDIENTS:

1 kabocha squash, scrubbed
2-3 tablespoons coconut oil
sea salt and pepper
buffalo celery ranch dressing, for dipping

INSTRUCTIONS:

Preheat oven to 375. Cut squash in half at stem. Remove stem, seeds and innards, bottom core. Slice into uniform size pieces – half moon rounds the full size of the squash. Coat in coconut oil, arrange in a single layer on prepared (foil, parchment) baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper.

Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, flip each slice to other side, return to oven for another 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

kabocha fries with celery ranch

The obsession has begun.

this recipe was shared with Healthy Vegan Fridays.

1 Abby September 10, 2013 at 4:27 am

I will probably get hate mail, but I have never jumped onto the kabocha bandwagon (or any squash) at all. I like sweet potatoes once in awhile, but other than that I have no interest in the stuff. Then again, maybe if it was prepared by someone like you who knows what they’re doing, I might just jump on that train ;)

2 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 10, 2013 at 4:54 am

Yes, yes and YESSSSSSS! I knew you would love it! It’s such an amazing squash. It’s just so comforting. Kinda sweet, kinda savory, dense, thick, creamy, crunchy…yeah, it covers all my favorites when it comes to food. I’m so glad you’ve joined me in the culinary kabocha adventure! Nice to have you in the club friend!

3 Lynda February 5, 2014 at 10:42 am

I’m so glad to hear that others are in love with Kobacha squash. I ate it every day after I made it and I need to make more today:) It is just SO good….you describe it well Sarena – it has everything you want in a food :)

4 Heather (Where's the Beach) September 10, 2013 at 7:51 am

YAY YAY YAY – welcome to the dark side ;-) Love kabocha. Luckily, the local grocery stores have started carrying it so I don’t have to hunt down an Asian market to get it.

5 Kristina Sloggett September 11, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I go to the Asian markets sorta kinda often, and it’s worth the trip for me ;)

6 jobo September 10, 2013 at 8:38 am

Gah, yum!!! I am a #kabochaho for sure, along with Sarena and others and MUST TRY THESE!!

7 Kristina Sloggett September 11, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I am officially on board this kabocha train.

8 A. Cook September 10, 2013 at 8:44 am

Those look so good!! You can eat the skin too, right?

9 Kristina Sloggett September 11, 2013 at 12:17 pm

yes you can – it softens up well after cooking – pretty hard surface to cut into before! :)

10 luminousvegans September 10, 2013 at 8:56 am

This looks like one of those kinds of meals/snacks that I would love. Not only because it looks easy to make but it kinda falls in that salty, tricks ya into thinkin’ you’re eating junk food foods. What is the texture of the skin after baking?

11 Kristina Sloggett September 11, 2013 at 12:16 pm

yessss… just so salty good – it makes a perfect snack. the skin is easily slice-able, bite-able after – it really softens nicely, it is definitely a hard surface and can be a challenge to cut into! once I heard it is edible though, I went for it – I suppose people do peel it?

12 Heather Williams September 10, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Holy YUM! This looks amazing! I adore kobocha with all my heart!! Thanks for giving me another recipe to love<3

13 Kristina Sloggett September 11, 2013 at 9:46 am

thanks, Heather – hope you enjoy, these are SO good :)

14 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 10, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Welcome to the dark side. We have squash and orange-ish skin. Bwhahaha!

15 Kristina Sloggett September 11, 2013 at 9:45 am

MUAH AH AH… ;) I love this stuff, so happy I finally found it!

16 Elizabeth September 11, 2013 at 9:06 am

make it stop. gotta try making this vegan!

17 Kristina Sloggett September 11, 2013 at 9:24 am

it already is vegan, Elizabeth :)

18 Becky September 11, 2013 at 1:46 pm

These look fab!! I have only tried this squash a couple of times but this looks like it would work with many varieties! Yum, thanks for sharing :)

19 Kristina Sloggett September 12, 2013 at 5:01 am

I’m sure it would work with other squash, yes! enjoy!

20 Anna September 11, 2013 at 9:17 pm

I need to try this!!! I love kabocha.
And your doxies are adorable!

21 Kristina Sloggett September 12, 2013 at 4:58 am

hi Anna! I am very new to kabocha, but I am loving it already – enjoy these! (and the doxies say thank you… bark)

22 Sarah G September 12, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Yum! I Love Kabocha!

23 Mary September 13, 2013 at 7:53 am

Holy happy cows! I need these fries!!! I can’t believe how simple you made the recipe. wow! Thanks for sharing!

24 Miachel (Spiced Curiosity) September 13, 2013 at 8:37 am

These look SUPER tasty! Just found your great recipe via Healthy Vegan Friday. :)

25 Yvonne September 14, 2013 at 8:39 pm

This looks so yummy! I grew up in Japan so I am very familiar with kabocha :) I definitely need to try your buffalo celery ranch dressing — that sounds amazing!

26 Kath (My Funny Little Life) September 17, 2013 at 5:42 am

It definitely has been too long since roasted squash was made over here. I’m drooling now!!!!!!!!

27 Kristina Sloggett September 17, 2013 at 12:45 pm

tis the season – roasted veggies are always a cooler time of year thing for me… so hearty.