squ-hash browns

in Breakfast,Dinner,Gluten Free,Meatless Monday,recipes,Vegan,Vegan MoFo

squ-hash browns veganmofo Kabocha. I have become quite versed at cooking this winter squash – I am getting extra arm workouts every day. I may as well give the kabocha its own category here, I already have so many ideas to share with you. and I come up with new ideas nearly every day. Today I bring you a simple hash brown – squash instead of potato. This is a completely new flavor for hash browns, with some traditional spices added. I prepared kabocha like this two times last week. If nothing else, perhaps a good way to keep some sort of winter time tan… kabocha home fries

squ-hash browns – kabocha breakfast hash

YIELD: serves four

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

INGREDIENTS:

1 large kabocha squash, scrubbed
1 yellow onion, diced
1 tablespoon butter (vegan margarine)
pinch sea salt
1 sprig fresh rosemary, minced
1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
black pepper, to taste

INSTRUCTIONS:

Prep and roast kabocha according to these instructions.

Meanwhile, in pan over medium-low heat, sauté onion in butter and salt. With frequent stirring, the onion should caramelize within 30-35 minutes. When onions are caramelized, add rosemary, smoked paprika, onion powder and additional sea salt, black pepper to taste.

Cut roasted kabocha into bite size cubes (peeling optional) and fold into onion mixture. Serve with a tofu scramble or a savory tomato pancake stack.

kabocha breakfast hash   Visit Heather to see more kabocha!

BWV Round2 September1 A Look Back at Meatless Mondays from A J

this recipe was shared with Healthy Vegan Fridays.

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) September 16, 2013 at 6:17 am

Oh yummy idea. Love this and the suggestion of pairing with a tofu scramble.

2 Heather @ Better With Veggies September 16, 2013 at 8:39 am

Dang – you’re coming up with new ideas every day & I couldn’t get my act together for a good recipe. You put me to shame lady! :) And THIS is awesome – I can’t wait to try it. I need to stock up on Kabocha!

3 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 16, 2013 at 9:40 am

I always roast mine… clearly time to branch out for a saute! This is perfect for me… I hate potatoes.

4 Bianca- Vegan Crunk September 16, 2013 at 10:23 am

Yum yum! I love winter squashes, especially kobocha because you can eat the skin (which I did not know for years….now I love the time it saves!).

5 Debbi September 16, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Hi, I just made these yesterday for the first time and they were delish. Question, do you eat the skin?

6 Heather @TheSoulfulSpoon September 16, 2013 at 7:27 pm

OMG! Why have I not thought of this? I adore kobocha and this is a great way to use it:) I just love your simple approach to eating amazing vegan food:)

7 Faith (An Edible Mosaic) September 17, 2013 at 3:10 am

This looks wonderful. I love “hashing” veggies other than potato – cauliflower, squash, bell pepper, cabbage, etc. It’s all delicious! Would love to wake up to this beautiful meal.

8 Kath (My Funny Little Life) September 17, 2013 at 5:39 am

Oooooooohhhh yes please!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

9 Emma September 17, 2013 at 8:39 am

Squash = better than potatoes in my opinion anyway so these are perfect for me! Love Heather’s idea to pair with a tofu scramble too :)

10 Kristina Sloggett September 17, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I agree, I rarely eat potatoes. I did serve this with tofu scramble – VERY good!

11 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 17, 2013 at 9:43 am

This looks and sounds amazing! I have two kabocha waiting for amazingness. I think this is the winner for me to try!

12 Kristina Sloggett September 17, 2013 at 12:40 pm

oh YAY, the Kabocha Queen making one of my newbie ideas? I’m honored. XXO!