spiced maple kabocha smoothie

in daily juice,daily smoothie,Gluten Free,Meatless Monday,recipes,Smoothie,Vegan,Vegan MoFo

spiced kabocha smoothie

veganmofo

This weekend I wanted to be in at least three places at once. IFBC was happening in Seattle, Feast was feeding Portland extremely well, and one of my favorite weekends in Portland was here – Portland Veg Fest.

Veg Fest won.

and that means I won.

I was able to represent Attune this weekend, and spend it with one of my favorite people, JL. We always have such fun, and keep finding things we have in common. I’ve known JL for a few years now, and I just feel such joy when I see her.

Veg Fest was fantastic as always. I met Dr McDougall, I was lucky enough to taste more of Miyoko’s cheese (this time I sampled a cream cheese and lox, a ricotta and a gruyere fondue – all amazing), and saw many friends old and new. I introduced JL to one of my favorite Portland restaurants – Departure, and we also enjoyed another Portland favorite, Homegrown Smoker.

Saturday morning I woke up early, ready to start the Veg Fest weekend. I had some roasted kabocha in the fridge, and only a few minutes to actually eat it. My answer to this was to make a kabocha smoothie and take it to go.

I know I’ll be making this smoothie again and again, whether I need to be somewhere or am just pouring it into a glass and taking it upstairs to my desk to begin the day. Yum.

maple kabocha smoothie

spiced kabocha smoothie

YIELD: one smoothie

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

INGREDIENTS:

3 large carrots
1/2 inch fresh ginger

1/4 kabocha squash, peeled, seeded and roasted
1/2 cup coconut water
1/4 cup raw cashews
1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon cinnamon

INSTRUCTIONS:

Juice carrots and ginger. Add carrot ginger juice to high speed blender with kabocha, coconut water, cashews, maple syrup and cinnamon – blend to smooth.

spiced maple kabocha smoothie

Visit Heather to see more kabocha!

BWV Round2 September1 A Look Back at Meatless Mondays from A J

this recipe was shared with Healthy Vegan Fridays.

1 Abby September 23, 2013 at 4:20 am

You have SO many amazing vegan events and activities in Portland that I’m completely envious times a million. However, I will vicariously live through you from the warmth of my humble office ;) Glad you were able to get out and have some fun and fabulous food. I know you have an exciting week ahead!

2 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 23, 2013 at 6:50 am

Sounds like you had a fantastic weekend! Love that picture of you and JL too! Your hair is gorgeous! This smoothie looks and sounds amazing. You know it’s happening here! Oh and that hash…amazing! I had it with savory chickpea waffles, spicy mustard and local honey! YUM! Have a great week friend!

3 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 23, 2013 at 8:23 am

I am so jealous you got to hang with JL! And vice versa. ;)

Brilliant smoothie. I was laughing because I had my carrot cake protein batter last night and topped with it kabocha. Definitely need to blend that up shake-style tonight. With protein powder, obv. ;)

Too lazy to peel it though… I think the Vitamix can eat it, no?

4 Bianca- Vegan Crunk September 23, 2013 at 9:56 am

That’s a fun fall smoothie!! And super jealous about all y’all who got to go to Portland VegFest. I was vicariously there by watching all the Instagram pics!!

5 Eileen September 23, 2013 at 11:31 am

I don’t think I’ve ever had a smoothie with squash in it before! Sounds so refreshing & cool, & yet totally appropriate for the turning season. Yay!

6 Heather @ Better With Veggies September 23, 2013 at 12:46 pm

This sounds so delicious – love all the flavors in this juice!! Eventually I will get a juicer, but for now I’ll just drool. And I made your hash for a snack today, but with acorn squash. Can’t wait to try it!

7 Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts September 24, 2013 at 6:27 am

Now I know who that is in the photo with you! Such a great shot! Being short on time is how I’ve created some of the my best smoothies. :-) Drinking a smoothie while listening to my audio book du jour en route is a great way to start the day. ;-) Sometimes I think “they” should coordinate these events better. There always seems to be major overlap. Going to pick up some kabocha soon so I can make this healthy yummy drink!

xo,