kicked up queso bean dip

in appetizers,Gluten Free,Happy Hour at Home,Meatless Monday,recipes,snacks,Vegan

kicked up queso bean dip

Happy Monday everyone!  Meatless Monday, at that.

I didn’t know the ingredient for this week until after we were already snowed in. Have you all heard what has been happening in Portland since… Thursday? Crazy snow, I think we have nearly a foot. Then freezing rain, to make the snow all glossy and crunchy.

Like a candy coating, only dangerous as $#%&*.

This week is queso week. Can that mean I eat queso every day?

Luckily, I have both a well stocked kitchen and a queso – salsa – bean dip recipe with simple ingredients. Even if I was caught off guard in Snowpocalypse 2014, this queso and this bean dip call for pantry staples in my kitchen – ingredients I always have.

spicy queso bean dip

kicked up queso bean dip

YIELD: ~3 cups

dairy, egg, soy and gluten free, vegan

INGREDIENTS:

1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 shallot cloves, peeled and diced
1 clove garlic, peeled and diced
1 (15 ounce) can refried beans
2-3 chipotle peppers (from canned in adobo), diced
1 cup hatch chile queso
2 green onions, chopped, for garnish

optional toppings:
salsa
(dairy free) sour cream

INSTRUCTIONS:

In saucepan over low heat, sauté shallots and garlic in coconut oil. When softened, add beans and chipotle peppers, stir until combined and warmed through. Add queso, combine completely.

Transfer to serving bowl, garnish with green onion and serve hot. Serve with tortilla chips.

vegan queso bean dip

More queso / cheese sauce recipes:

havarti cheese sauce

noocho cheese sauce

palm heart cheese sauce

Visit Heather to see more Meatless Monday queso creations:

#MMAZ

1 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 10, 2014 at 6:01 am

I remember that hatch chili queso! I really want to try it – I ate my way through hatch season last year. One of my favorites!

Hope you can dig out today. My sister said it’s nuts up there!

2 Kristina Sloggett February 11, 2014 at 9:45 am

TODAY things are kinda sorta back to normal. you know to stay put when even your 4WD driven by your Midwest Man slides around ;)

and yes. make this. nobody knows it’s not cheese ;)

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) February 10, 2014 at 6:46 am

Oh that looks fantastic. Ice sucks. Snow is one thing, ice is a whole other ballgame!

4 Kristina Sloggett February 11, 2014 at 9:42 am

the ice is bad, thankfully everything is melting and getting back to normal. Jason is now enjoying 80 degrees in Arizona ;) and the ice is still around in our backyard – Rosie was walking ON TOP of it yesterday, so cute.

5 Bianca- Vegan Crunk February 10, 2014 at 10:26 am

YUM! Vegan queso & chips is one of my favorite things ever. Stay warm! Winter Storm Pax (don’t you love how they give these things names now!) is supposed to be coming through the South tonight, but it looks like Memphis may not get much snow/ice. Most of the precip looks to be headed for south of us.

6 Kristina Sloggett February 11, 2014 at 9:40 am

crazy named storms. *side eye* stay warm, hope Pax misses you!

7 lindsay February 10, 2014 at 1:08 pm

you have too many “cheeses” i’m dying to try. Won’t you be my neighbor? sigh..

8 Kristina Sloggett February 11, 2014 at 9:39 am

I will, I WILL!! :D

9 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 11, 2014 at 4:47 am

This looks so good! I can’t even remember the last time I had queso. I need to give in and try making it, right?

I can’t believe the weather you’ve had. We are now on lockdown here with freezing rain and now the snow has started. This week should be very interesting…

10 Cat February 11, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Snowpocalypse 2014?! Not heard of that, but it is headed our way tonight, tomorrow and ending the next day! Don’t have any queso on hand… but sounds like I might need to improvise with substitutions because this sounds like the perfect antidote for a Snowpocalypse. Since – if our power goes out – we won’t have heat, I might need to add this to my list of things to bring to try to bribe my way into someone’s house who has a fireplace. Thanks for the idea! And here I thought offering hard boiled eggs and carrot cake would be sure winners. This sounds so much better and I happen to have tortilla chips on hand. :-)

11 Heather @ Better With Veggies February 12, 2014 at 10:50 am

I’m glad to hear you have the essentials in a snowstorm. :) Kirk is in Atlanta this week for their second “snowpocolypse” and got cheese & beer at the store before heading to his parents house. You guys could go shopping together!!

And this sounds simply delicious – I love beans and queso. Mmmmm..